Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-26-2005, 09:21 AM

Default CPU UPGRADE

Is There a CPU upgrade that would work with my system
any help appreciated.

Power Mac Tower G4 AGP 400 Mhz
OS 9.0.4
Pro Tools Le 5.2.1
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: CPU UPGRADE

Yes try Gigadesigns or Sonnet encore upgrade cards.

Better yet for almost the same amount of cash.............a new G4 or G5

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 05-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Yes. I upgraded my Power Mac 500 CPU to a Powerlogix chip. I must note the upgrade isn't supported. However, my system runs smoothly. There are less expensive upgrades but the cool thing about the Powerlogix is the amount of technical support you receive pre installation.

A download for evaluating the system as to potential upgrades is available. It will scan your box & then inform you of your options. I would recommend it prefrentially over any other upgrade because of that feature alone. There are also several white papers available so all in all it's the best avenue other than the purchase of a new (ie. G5) computer.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:21 AM

Here is a 1.2 GHz Sonnet upgrade working for nearly two years now.

smooth as silk

regs
Old 05-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:

smooth as silk

regs
Interesting setup. Kind of close to what I was considering upgrading to w/ my 001. How's this setup working. What if any limits do you find in terms of track (playlist) amounts. In other words how many tracks and or plug ins have you been able to run. I have 1.4 GB of Ram and was looking at upgrading to Sonnet/ Encore 1.2 GHz, 1.4 Ghz, or 1.7 Ghz. Also looking into OWC 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. Just wanted to know how much room to breathe you have working in Pro Tools LE 6.4 on Digi 001 with that speed sonnet and how much Ram gets you there.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:17 PM

I've been using a Sonnet 1 GHz upgrade (from a 450 MHz G4) for quite some time for a Digi001. I've gone from PTLE 5.x to 6.4, Waves 5, Altiverb 5. Everything is stable and just fine. Thanks heavens...no more upgrade hassles.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I've been using a Sonnet 1 GHz upgrade (from a 450 MHz G4) for quite some time for a Digi001. I've gone from PTLE 5.x to 6.4, Waves 5, Altiverb 5. Everything is stable and just fine. Thanks heavens...no more upgrade hassles.
How far have you been able to push the # of tracks and plug-ins. No one ever does bench marks using Pro Tools or Logic (that I've seen) on these processors, and it doesn't look like I'll be going anywhere beyond OSX 10.3.8 and LE 6.4 for a while. I just don't want to get more than I need when I can divert the money saved to other valuable resources.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:57 AM

I've used a PowerLogix dual 1.2ghz without issue. I don't think PTLE uses the second CPU, but Logic Pro 7 does.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:

smooth as silk

regs
Interesting setup. Kind of close to what I was considering upgrading to w/ my 001. How's this setup working. What if any limits do you find in terms of track (playlist) amounts. In other words how many tracks and or plug ins have you been able to run. I have 1.4 GB of Ram and was looking at upgrading to Sonnet/ Encore 1.2 GHz, 1.4 Ghz, or 1.7 Ghz. Also looking into OWC 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. Just wanted to know how much room to breathe you have working in Pro Tools LE 6.4 on Digi 001 with that speed sonnet and how much Ram gets you there.

HI Paxil,

as track counts is more dependent on the HD speed I could run full 32 tracks.
With the DaveC test (do a search for it here) my score was 22 or 24 or so, I canīt remember
since I seldomly work on extensive projects and or with PT running as the only app,
I ran four instances of Battery quite smoothly, if that is of any help.

I got overall 3 System crashes originating from PT when working for or so 10 hours with it, probably heat related.

I ok with my system.

And keep away from the 1.7Ghz upgrades since the donīt pay for your model.
1. some of them donīt use 2nd Level Cache which is very bad for performance.
2. the 100MHz System Bus of the AGPs is too slow and keeps the CPU waiting an eternity
(in clock cycles) before the data is exhanged. 1GHz is bad enough for these Models
the last G4s (FW800) had a 167 MHz bus to cope with the 1.42 GHz speed.
It will be rather useless for the AGPs.

regs

regs
Old 05-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:

HI Paxil,

as track counts is more dependent on the HD speed I could run full 32 tracks.
With the DaveC test (do a search for it here) my score was 22 or 24 or so, I canīt remember
since I seldomly work on extensive projects and or with PT running as the only app,
I ran four instances of Battery quite smoothly, if that is of any help.

I got overall 3 System crashes originating from PT when working for or so 10 hours with it, probably heat related.

I ok with my system.

And keep away from the 1.7Ghz upgrades since the donīt pay for your model.
1. some of them donīt use 2nd Level Cache which is very bad for performance.
2. the 100MHz System Bus of the AGPs is too slow and keeps the CPU waiting an eternity
(in clock cycles) before the data is exhanged. 1GHz is bad enough for these Models
the last G4s (FW800) had a 167 MHz bus to cope with the 1.42 GHz speed.
It will be rather useless for the AGPs.

regs

regs
Mindnoise

Thank you for the insight, I'm glad this topic came up. I switched to Mac from PC's just 6 months ago as I used Macs exclusively in school and fell in love with them. I took on an AGP model and decided to slowly upgrade the setup. Many told me I should load OS9 and use Pro Tools 5.3.1 but this would add more hassles. I'd been using Pro Tools 6.x on Windows and going to 5.3.1 would be a step backwards. Buying a newer Mac would've been a huge expense as I would also have to upgrade my Digi hardware and I just don't want to right now. My goal is to get Pro Tools 6.4cs9 running as well and stable as I can on this AGP which it is now, I just want to get the most out of it. I'm glad this was posted and is a huge help towards that goal. I'll keep abreast of this thread and hope more folks post their successes and recommendations when it comes to CPU upgrades.

Regards Paxil