Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Problem ,One firewire port on Mac

I've got a Mac Book Pro with one Fire Wire port, which is connected to my Pro Fire 610 Audio Interface. I would like to add an external Fire Wire Hard Drive. Can a Hard Drive be "daisy chained" from my Audio Interface or not? I was told it can, and then told it cannot. Are there any other options? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Problem ,One firewire port on Mac

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pid=1038

Some posters have had success going this route by adding a separate FW port for their external disks.
Interface: Antelope Audio Zen-Studio
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
Macbook Pro 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM

I'm not sure what "adding a separate FW port means"? Do you mean "daisy chaining", using one FW port and the second on the Audio Interface to connect a new hard drive? Also, how do you configure your computer to see the second hard drive? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM

For your info, I have a MacBook also with one FW 400 port. My M Audio 1814 interface connects directly to the computer. Then my external drive(Lacie) is connected(daisy chained) to the interface. I'm running PT 8, computer is a 2.2ghz, intel core duo, 4gb ram. Works great. As a side note, I can actually use my WD Passport (USB) to record to as well with no problems. I only record solo acoustic guitar instrumentals with only a couple tracks though.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley View Post
I'm not sure what "adding a separate FW port means"? Do you mean "daisy chaining", using one FW port and the second on the Audio Interface to connect a new hard drive? Also, how do you configure your computer to see the second hard drive? Thanks.
The link he provided is for an express card (which there is a slot for in the new intel macbooks, on the left hand side near the front)

The express card inserts into that slot and it has more Firewire ports so you can plug your hardrive into it, while leaving the other firewire port already in your computer for your audio interface.

The daisy chaining method has caused some people problems in the past, I used the express card when i had my mac and it worked great!

Luke K
Pro tools 8.0.1
003 Rack
Mackie Mr5 monitors
Windows Vista Home Premium Sp1
Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 AM

And it was my mistake, apparently the brand new last generation MBP's do not have an express card slot. What's with that?
Interface: Antelope Audio Zen-Studio
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
Macbook Pro 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
And it was my mistake, apparently the brand new last generation MBP's do not have an express card slot. What's with that?
Yeah I agree! Only the 17" MBP has an Express Card slot. That's not great news for audio and video users wanting to buy the 15" models.

Brendan