Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Importing audio

When attempting to import audio nothing happens. It was working but then after the latest combo update I've noticed it just does nothing- won't import audio. The file will show up on the window and it says it needs to be converted, but when I click through to "open" nothing happens. Using a MacBook 2.2 Intel Core Duo w/Leopard, PT 7.1.1. All else seems to work fine as far as recording, bouncing to disk etc. Anyone have any ideas?
MORE INFO After clicking to import audio, the window/dialog box opens and I can select the file just fine, it seems to "import" to the dialog box, and I can even audition the file, an audio wav file in this case. A message on the right side says the file must be converted so I then click on "convert", and the file then appears again on the right side of the window. All that is left to do is click on "open" at the bottom. When I do nothing happens. Before this problem it would automatically create a new track and the file was there, but nothing now.
I'm not sure what "mradlauer1" means by deleting preferences, or digi databases.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Importing audio

I am having the same problem on my MacBook anybody?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:36 AM

when you import, if the files dont show up in the little window on the right side of the "import" window, they will not import....

So, Select your files...convert or whatever you need to do to get them there, then continue on. They then should be in your regions list, but you should get a dialog box asking what you want to do with them, New Track? or Region List....

If this continues, you may want to delete your preferences and your Digi Databases...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM

My problem is that the files do not open. Protools tells me they do not need to be converted and everything goes fine but when I click open nothing happens.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 PM

You should see the files showing up in your Regions list...Is that not happening??
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 PM

For my situation, the file appears in the import dialogue window just fine. I can also audition the file using the feature at the bottom left of the window. It says to convert the file as it is not mono. The blue convert button lights up, I click that and then the file moves to the box to the right. Then I click open, at the bottom right of window, and then it does nothing.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM

With Leopard and PT 7.1.1 I'm surprised everything else is working ok. With Leopard 10.5.3/10.5.4 the only qualified version of Pro Tools is 7.4.2.

It seems as though you are using "import audio" properly. If it was working, you updated, and now it's not working, the update probably has something to do with it.

Did you just do a combo update for the OS? Or did you possibly run the update wizard and maybe update iTunes/Quicktime too?

You can check what was installed if "Software Update" was used: Click Apple menu, choose system preferences. Click software update then Installed updates.

You can find instructions to delete your Pro Tools Preferences and Databases plus additional troubleshooting info from:
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools 6 & 7 Mac OS X http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Thank You, I'm working on it
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Well, no luck so far. I guess I'll just do what I should and upgrade to 7.4. I just know from experience that I have gotten lucky before and things still worked after an update. Hopefully it will work with 7.4. I deleted the volumes and preferences as per the above links and the only thing that changed is that now I can't even audition the file in the import window, whereas before I could at least audition it.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 PM

Ok so I deleted all the preferences and database stuff and still NOTHING! AH! am I the only one who cannot seem to fix this problem?