Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Default M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Headphone Out Not Working Properlly

Hello all... I was instructed by M-Audio to post here, so here I am!

Basically, I have all my drum mics hooked up to the xlr inputs in the back of the ultra8r.

Now the issue is when Iplug in my headphones to either of the headphone outs, I can only here the bass drum (which is input 1)... If i put another mic into input 1, I can hear that mic. So it looks like only input 1 is coming out of the headphone out jacks...

Any ideas as too why?

I am basically trying to use the headphone out as a monitor mix but it doesn'treally help if Ican only hear one mic lol
Old 04-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Headphone Out Not Working Properlly

You don't mention Pro Tools, so maybe you can tell us a little more about your setup? Assuming you are tracking drums, how do you have your outputs set; are you bussing the tracks or do you have them all just going to the stereo outs? The headphone outs are typically set up to monitor the stereo out, so make sure that's where all your inputs are routed.

System Details
Old 04-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
You don't mention Pro Tools, so maybe you can tell us a little more about your setup? Assuming you are tracking drums, how do you have your outputs set; are you bussing the tracks or do you have them all just going to the stereo outs? The headphone outs are typically set up to monitor the stereo out, so make sure that's where all your inputs are routed.
I am not using any software right now. Just have the headphone jacks going into a mixer to record live with my band. It worked at one point but now it only outputs whatever is plugged into the input 1 jack in the back. I don't have anything coming out of the line outputs in the back, just the drum mics going into the xlr inputs in the back.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:19 PM

You need to open up the Fast Track 8R manual and work out how to use it's internal monitor mixer. That is all the problem will be here, assuming the inputs are actually plugged in correctly.

You have another live mixer you are feeding from the headphone outs? You should be using the line outputs, not headphone out, on the 8R to go into that. Again the documentation explains how to set up any monitoring mix there.

Alternately you may be better feeding the live mixer directly with all inputs, and recoding tracks and/or a mix down out of that mixer. Hopefully that has enough sub mixes to drive headphone mixes, maybe even including DAW returns.

If you want more help you need to describe very clearly your setup and what is connected exactly to what. What exact inputs. What exact mixer etc.