Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Re: New Hackintosh / PT7 monster HD PCI Rig

just hope that anyone else who wants to try doesn't spend 7 days working it out like i did!

hopefully i will get a chance to test quick tomorrow if it works with HD4 Accel attached to six 192 interfaces and three dvi monitors.

otherwise i start tracking lead vocals on wednesday until the end of the month.

so if it is ok after these tests i would say it's safe for the real world!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 AM

Interesting reading James, my cards are in the opposite order to your, i.e Core is in the slot furthest away from the PSU with the Accel cards in the two adjacent slots... pretty sure I had to swap them when I installed initially ( i was just HD2 then - bought a third card instead of going to PT10HD!).........
Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
Interesting reading James, my cards are in the opposite order to your, i.e Core is in the slot furthest away from the PSU with the Accel cards in the two adjacent slots... pretty sure I had to swap them when I installed initially ( i was just HD2 then - bought a third card instead of going to PT10HD!).........
it is normally this way if you look at the equivalent motherboard layout on a G5 or a MacPro, core card nearest the graphics card.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM

some pics from the test as promised.

trying all three outputs from the graphics card. i had the old style mac monitors, their dvi connector does not fit side by side with this graphics card. i took the two dvi outputs via the cat5 extender installed in the studio, these connectors fitted only just side by side.

the third output via the apple display port dvi adaptor to a monitor in the machine room.

it didn't drive three monitors, it did two displays and mirrored one to the third. i think this is something to do with problems that other people reported with this type of card going from 10.6.7 > 10.6.8.

one thing to note though, the brightness controls worked in the normal mac way.

pretty quick boring test, just slate tone out of the mixer, through the 192s and back to the multitrack ins. you can see the poor lineup of these 192s and some dead lines.

all four cards tested fully with digitest and all the loopback tests done with all the interfaces.

http://i43.tinypic.com/o91pgw.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/kd3h29.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/15n6fqe.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/axlnxs.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/35lupvn.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/mj3jfm.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/nb2mfr.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/24dq4pl.jpg
Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM

I have successfully built, installed and am running pro tools on my Jetway and i7 2600k hackintosh build....

One problem....

Sessions run just fine on RTAS plugins... I can really push it far without any lagging issues BUT...

As soon as I go to switch an RTAS plugin to a TDM plugin, Pro Tools freezes up and I have to force quit.

Pro tools also freezes up if I'm loading a session (that I assume has some TDM plugins already assigned) when its "Activating Sends". Never gets past that loading progress bar, and I have to force quit.

Any ideas?

Jetway NAF92-Q67
i7 2600k
16GB Corsair DDR3
PNY GeforceGTS 450
HD|2 PCI-X Core & Accel

OS X 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.5
Old 11-19-2011, 06:18 AM

Hey jaxfoondi! Im certain your problem has to do with MCDsp plugins. Im certain you have purchased your plugins...but if you have not, then you should remove the MCDSP tdm plugins from your plugins folder. Let me know how that works!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Hey James Drake. The build worked without a hitch. Incredibly fast and most of all--Stable! I may get a few KP's when, say, installing a firewire card, but i attribute that to not editing my own dsdt (I just ran with the one you posted). Thanks again. Studio looks great btw!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
Just in case someone sees this, it's complete cojones, my cards are in the same order as James', i.e. Core closest to CPU, you know how it is when you know you had to swap something round but when you try and nail down exactly which way it went......

I have one minor little annoyance, which is that randomly when I boot up the ilok doesn't light up, also PT loses contact with my MAudio midi controller occassionally and I have a USB cue light which presents itself as a HUI device to protools, and PT loses contact with this also? Any ideas? Power management is all turned off ( i.e all the flags to allow the computer to power of idle USB devices...)
Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Just a couple of updates.

I am having some graphics issues.

I am using the second cheapest 1920x1080 monitors that were in the shop, they have dvi and hdmi input.

I bought a pair of 10m dvi > hdmi cables. During boot and in bios the displays can be very noisy (green or red hash over the picture), and the apple logo screen does not scale properly. Once at the desktop, picture looks fine but i have intermittent picture just going black on one display only. I replaced the pair of cables with 10m dvi>dvi cables and during boot and bios the picture looks fine. But in mac os the intermittent black display still happens. What was worse is i did have a pro tools issue where it would play 2 seconds audio in a loop situation. I just put everything back to how it was and this went away, but the only thing i think i changed was these dvi cables. So i'm not sure where the problem is, but i'm guessing the graphics card.

Nothing has been a show stoper though.

I am only running tdm plugins, stock pro tools and massey. No issues.

Some issues with usb stick to run chameleon. The computer seems to boot ok from one stick i have, but from another it intermittently does not boot.

No issues running digi core audio driver just to play youtube.

It's friggin fast! Going from PT8 on a G5 to PT10 on this is crazy!

A couple of pro tools graphical things. Scrolling up and down the arrange window, and sometimes a phantom duplicate track that is not real, or missing regions that come back when you scroll up and down again. Don't know if this is related to the other graphics issues.

It's not my studio. I would line up my 192s!!!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Hej Guys,

i know, that it is not the same thing as building one, but I just wanted to inform you that I bought a Hackintosh from a company in hamburg germany. Pre configured an shipping with OS X Lion.

It arrived today and it is absolutely unbelievable how fast the machine is.

i7 3.2 GHz, 24 GB Ram, PT 10 CPTK

The installation was just as on a normal Mac and everything runs a lot better than on my Quadcore 2.66 Late 2009.

SSL MADI Extreme - working
UAD 2 - working
BMD Intensity Pro - working

All Softube and PSP Plug Ins, Massey Waves and Audioease stuff - working

And everything really fast. Could not make PT crash. Not even with the
make it crash session from protoolsprofessional.com

will keep you updated, if you like.

It is a gigabyte board with ATI 5770 graphics.

Can post some more info if asked for.

I'm not in any connection to the company. This is no commercial. I am just happy.

Was pretty unhappy with my last 2 MacPro's

Each of them lasted nearly exactly 2 years before becoming extremely buggy and unreliable without changing anything. Hope this on will keep me happy a little bit longer. At least my bank account is happy, for it was way cheaper than a new MacPro.

Cheers

Sebastian