Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Default error 20700 while translating tracks

I've seen several threads (on this site and others) relating to this issue, but so far none of the advice I've tried from those threads helps.

A session file which had previously behaved normally, I am suddenly getting this error when saving:

"Could not save as [session name] because (20700) while translating Tracks."

There is also a similar error when auto-backup tries to save a copy.

I have tried: trashing preferences, disabling plugins, going back to an earlier version, checking disk permissions and file system integrity.

Does anybody actually know what the error number 20700 refers to? Maybe if I knew what specifically the error is, I could figure out a solution.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM

Default Re: error 20700 while translating tracks

Hmmm, never seen this one I do have 2 suggestions for you to try;
1-Create a new blank session at a different sample rate(IOW, if the messed up session is at 44.1k, make the new session 48k, or vice versa). Now Use the Import Session Data command and check the box to use SRC(Sample Rate Conversion). This will re-write all the audio files and MIGHT give you a working session.
2-Hold the SHIFT key while opening the session. This will make all plugins inactive(no settings are lost). If this allows the session to open and be saved again(I would go to File>Save As>rename to something like "songname_noplugins"). If this works, you may have a corrupt plugin(likely a 3rd party plugin and not any stock stuff). Activate a batch of plugins and see if the problem comes back

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM

I was in the middle of editing when this exact same thing happened to me. I saved a few times previously without any issue. I got an error related to auto-backup and now I can't save at all. Maybe corruption? Does anyone have a suggestion that might allow me to save without losing all my edits? Obviously, I could re-boot, etc. and hope it goes away, but my progress would be lost. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:16 AM

Just faced the same problem !

It is because of a plugin, Accusonics Happy Placer.
This was an April's fool, it is a plugin which displays jokes about musicians...

But the error because of it is not a joke...
I made all the plugins inactive, and figured out it was because of this one.

I removed it, and I was able to save again ! Hourra !

Tell us if your problem is because of another plugin !
Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 AM

This turned out to be a plugin for me also. To anybody else having this problem it seems your first troubleshooting stop should be to disable all plugins. If the problem goes away, then starting re-enabling plugins until the problem returns. Then get rid of the last plugin you enabled.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, never seen this one I do have 2 suggestions for you to try;
1-Create a new blank session at a different sample rate(IOW, if the messed up session is at 44.1k, make the new session 48k, or vice versa). Now Use the Import Session Data command and check the box to use SRC(Sample Rate Conversion). This will re-write all the audio files and MIGHT give you a working session.
2-Hold the SHIFT key while opening the session. This will make all plugins inactive(no settings are lost). If this allows the session to open and be saved again(I would go to File>Save As>rename to something like "songname_noplugins"). If this works, you may have a corrupt plugin(likely a 3rd party plugin and not any stock stuff). Activate a batch of plugins and see if the problem comes back
As I cant save my current project this is no solution. I cant save what I did the last hour or so because of this...
Old 04-07-2024, 03:58 AM

SOLVED! I had the same problem yesterday / big sur / pt ultimate 2023.9, and after reading various post, I found solution. let this be a hint for other desperate people. look for possible plugin with kind of nag screen reminder, i found that one plugin I installed recently (i had it on previous computer and it was needed for opening some backup session), was in pre authorization mode with opened nagscreen, which prevented any save or save as or even save copy as. once i authorized it, problem with 20700 disappeared. In my case it was Impulsive, it had kinda open small authorization window, which prevented disabling or saving. But it can be probably any other plugin asking for some serial or so. Hope this will help someone.