Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-03-2022, 04:28 AM

Default Pro Tools M1 support - dec 27th (beta)

Dave Derr From Empirical Labs, makers of Distressor, Arousor etc, just posted this on Gearspace:
https://gearspace.com/board/product-...-new-post.html

Quote:
Avid put out an announcement today about Pro Tools M1 support.

"The release is now planned for December 27th and will be a public beta, which means that any user entitled to update to the latest version of Pro Tools can have the ability to run natively. Pro Tools will still launch by default using Rosetta 2 but users can switch to run natively and try out the improved performance as well as using partner plugins."

This may fit in nicely with our own ports to M1. Between numerous PACE updates, and putting out the AROUSOR LT, I apologize for the long delay on getting our plug-ins to run natively on Apple Silicon (M1). I will continue updates as we progress through Beta testing M1 operation on all our plugs.
A merry Christmas, it will be, indeed.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M1 support - dec 27th (beta)

"Public Beta"

What a cop out after waiting all this time. Not sure why I didn't expect this to be honest.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 12-03-2022, 05:25 AM

Honestly I’m just glad they’re being up front about it being a beta. Unlike with ARA, which is nowhere close to ready for prime time.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:26 AM

It means there is something in macOS that they still cannot support on native code. After all Ventura is still a dot-zero release.

You are good to go if you want to test how far you can go until you face a random error, but apple silicon support seems to be next year (and ventura) thing. Which is good.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It means there is something in macOS that they still cannot support on native code. After all Ventura is still a dot-zero release.

You are good to go if you want to test how far you can go until you face a random error, but apple silicon support seems to be next year (and ventura) thing. Which is good.
You have absolutely no factual basis to make this statement and it is misleading the general public.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:12 AM

At least we'll be able to get a sense of performance gains.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You have absolutely no factual basis to make this statement and it is misleading the general public.
If I had, I would neither confirm nor deny it.

What is a fact is that I was beta testing for DigiDesign during the previous PPC --> Intel transition.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:22 AM

Good to see Avid setting expectations and helping avoid user pain. (Oops the same company that let users lose work with awfully flakey Pro Tools First/cloud…).

You would be a bit of a nutter if you took the first native port and treated it like anything other than a beta. The problem here as always with stability is likely to be plugins. Assuming you even have enough native plugins to run/test with. You then get to QA that combination together. Interesting times.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:57 AM

Avid can do no right. If they don't release a public beta in December they're dragging their feet. If they do, regardless of how successful that release is, they're not doing enough. This forum would benefit from an ignore feature.

Personally, I'm excited to see this. Though I wonder how they will handle the presence of so many non-Native plugins. Will the plugins run in a shell which allows Native and non-Native to coexist? Will the presence of any non-Native plugins force us to run PT under Rosetta?

It will take a very long time for *all* of my plugins to make the Native update so I hope they've worked this out somehow.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You would be a bit of a nutter if you took the first native port and treated it like anything other than a beta. The problem here as always with stability is likely to be plugins. Assuming you even have enough native plugins to run/test with. You then get to QA that combination together. Interesting times.
I'm most curious to know about the apples-to-apples comparisons. PT, Native, with a group of Native plugins, vs. PT under Rosetta with those same plugins. As a test, only. I can't see using this for production for a while. It's a big transition.