Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Could I replace my g5 with a powerbook?

Heres my question. Nice and simple. (ps.. all of this is assuming I wait for le compatability) If I have a dual 2.0ghz PPC G5, with 4gb of ram, could I replace it with a new Powerbook with a core 2 duo at 2.6 (or even 2.5) with 4gb of ram, and see a performance boost.. Really all I am looking for is at least equivalent power.. In other words, I need to be able to run strike, xpand, hybrid, waves gold, urs and kompakt symphonic orchestra just as i do in sessions now. Also, Music production pack so 48 tracks, lots of midi, and Convolution reverbs...

Thoughts?

CB

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Could I replace my g5 with a powerbook?

I definitely think the 2.5GHz MacBook Pro would offer a nice boost in power over the Dual 2.0GHz G5. I just got the new 17" MBP with 2.5GHz processor, 2GB and 200GB 7200RPM HD but I can't exactly test it with LE yet. I would highly recommend getting the 7200RPM hard drive and upgrade the RAM yourself because it is much cheaper. I also don't think the 2.6GHz processor is really worth the money unless you really want every last ounce of power you can get.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Yeah, I just spec'd one out online.. I'm about to graduate from college, so i want to capitalize on my 10% discount while I still can.. I spec'd one with the 7200rpm drive and 4gb.. but you're right, I should do the ram myself, I remember doing it with my current g4 powerbook and my g5, def cheaper other places... Too bad apple doesn't do student discounts on the iphone.... Ps... anyone know if anyone at digidesign is looking at the iphone sdk?

CB

The Note Music
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm assuming you mean an Intel-based Macbook Pro and not a last generation G4 Powerbook?

If so, the results are in.... The newer generation Macs with Intel processors are tremendously more powerful than G5's and G4's.

A Macbook Pro with an Intel 2.6 and 4 gigs of RAM will run circles around your G5 in terms of pure processing power.

More plugins, better track count. lower useable buffer sizes, etc.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM

ooh... good to know.... But.. I just realized.. (playing around at apple store online instead of studying for midterms..) That a MBP is about $3000.. So i could do that.. or I could go for a Dual 2.8 quad core with the Nvidia GeForce (I also do alot of final cut and other adobe) for $2799, then with OWC ram, I could get 8gb of ram ontop of the 2gb it comes with for another $399.. So for not that much more I've got this option too... The real question becomes how important is portability to me... Right now, whenever I need to record something live, i take my g4 and that gets the job done for any recording situation, and then I mix on my g5... So i'm thinking i'll just keep the g4, and use it for any live stuff......? ... Tricky situation...

Thanks for the help Jchance

The Note Music
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I'm about to graduate from college, so i want to capitalize on my 10% discount while I still can.. I spec'd one with the 7200rpm drive and 4gb.. but you're right, I should do the ram myself, I remember doing it with my current g4 powerbook and my g5, def cheaper other places...
If you really want the best deal possible, look into buying it from Amazon.com because when you factor in sales tax, that student discount almost evaporates into nothing. They don't charge sales tax and they have a $150 rebate on the newly released MacBook Pros. I would also recommend getting RAM from either Crucial.com or Datamem.com because they are both cheap and reliable.

Quote:

Ps... anyone know if anyone at digidesign is looking at the iphone sdk?
I kinda doubt they are going to do anything with that unfortunately but I could be wrong. There is a guy out there who already wrote a program to control Pro Tools remotely and it looks very promising. He is planning on selling it once the app store opens in June. Check out the video here.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 PM

I've seen that remote PT for the iphone, looks pretty sweet, but I bet digi could do it better, of course, it would be more expensive, and probably not be compatible with the newest version of the iphone software blah blah blah... I guess all i'd really be looking for was transport and master fader volume control though..

CB

The Note Music