Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Default Graphics issues on Edit Window when recording from waveform draw

I've tested this on two different Mac Pro 5,1 systems with HD Native with and I'm having the same issue.

If I set a low buffer and try to record 24 tracks simultaneously, I get high cpu usage. If I hide/minimize the edit window, I have extremely low CPU usage. This only works if the edit window is truly minimized. Making the window smaller (reshaping it by dragging it) helps somewhat on the cpu usage when it gets to about half the screen size. It does not matter how large the audio tracks are (smaller, medium, etc.) though scrolling down to where no actively recording audio tracks are helps somewhat.

The problem seems to be with Pro Tools drawing the waveforms when recording. There's no issue the rest of the time. I have two monitors (1 LCD at 1080p, and a Slate Raven Mti2). It does not matter which screen I put the edit window on. If I hide both the edit and mix windows, the cpu usage drops a tiny bit more, but the edit window drawing the waveforms seems to cause the big spikes.

I am running the stock Radeon 5770 in both machines. Would a new GPU help or is this another PT graphics issue?

Has anyone found any solutions for this problem? I'm still searching the threads, but thought I should post in hope of a direct response.

Sierra 10.12.6
Pro Tools 2018.1 HD Native
2010 Mac Pro 5,1
3.46ghz 12 core
128gb RAM
Radeon 5770 with mini display ports to HDMi cables run to monitors.
All PT optimizations followed to the letter

Last edited by mrguitarguy; 02-15-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Graphics issues on Edit Window when recording from waveform draw

Well this issue continues to be graphic related. If I scroll around the Edit or Mix windows, cpu jumps, even when not recording?

How can one be expected to adjust levels for a performer while recoding if you can't scroll to the appropriate track?

I've now tested this with a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 gpu as well (it's the only other graphics card I have access to). The rest of this machine is maxed out.

Is anyone else seeing similar issues? Any changes on High Sierra?

I have removed our ethernet connection to the internet because I saw it mentioned that this could cause problems in a another thread, but there as no change.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM

You don't say what version of PT.

I run PT18 on Mac Mini i5 late 2012 with High Sierra 10.13.3 with great stability and no graphic issues. And my graphics loads on ram, and only have 10gb of ram, but will max out ram in the near future (16gb)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
You don't say what version of PT.

I run PT18 on Mac Mini i5 late 2012 with High Sierra 10.13.3 with great stability and no graphic issues. And my graphics loads on ram, and only have 10gb of ram, but will max out ram in the near future (16gb)
My apologies, I assumed it was a given that it was Pro Tools 2018.1 since this is the 2018 forum and there is only one version available. I'll update my system specs in the original post.

What buffer size are you recording at? How many tracks do you record at a time? Does scrolling around affect your system usage on the system usage window?

This problem actually occurs on 12.8.3 as well. I have them both currently installed.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 PM

My test was for 16 tracks at 24 bit / 192 Khz for orchestra recording, 256 buffer size (that's like 64 at 48 khz), scrolling arround ...solid as a rock.

In mixdown, the largest session I had, had like 70 more tracks, and no issue either
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
My test was for 16 tracks at 24 bit / 192 Khz for orchestra recording, 256 buffer size (that's like 64 at 48 khz), scrolling arround ...solid as a rock.

In mixdown, the largest session I had, had like 70 more tracks, and no issue either
EMI,

Thank you for your reply. We are studio that primarily works with mainstream music. As a result we don't typically require sessions over 96K, however we would like to able to set our buffer size to 64 samples for recording with no worry of whether the machine may suffer from cpu spikes. At higher buffer settings (e.g., 256) the machine seems to run very well, but of course this makes latency and issue and is often noticed by performers. If we could alleviate this single issue related to latency and performance, we would be happy.

However we're still seeing this as an issue even when trying to record 24 tracks at 44.1 which is significantly less stressful for the computer. If if won't work at a buffer 64 samples at 44.1, it certainly won't work at higher resolutions.

What is troubling is that I cannot find any information where system tweaks or changing graphics cards seems to be the solution. I am seriously considering trying High Sierra to see if there is any difference in performance.

I'm really hoping that someone has overcome this obstacle and can share their experiences or that the members of this community may have a few new ideas for us to try.

I simply don't understand how a machine this powerful can be having a problem related to basic tracking.

Thank you again for your reply. If you have any other information or suggestions I would appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM

With your system it shouldn’t be a problem tracking 24 tracks at 64 buffer size. I suggest you update to high Sierra and see how it goes.

Do you use any plugins at tracking? Make sure the plugins (if any) don’t induce latency.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
With your system it shouldn’t be a problem tracking 24 tracks at 64 buffer size. I suggest you update to high Sierra and see how it goes.

Do you use any plugins at tracking? Make sure the plugins (if any) don’t induce latency.
Yes, it's perfectly fine as long as the screen isn't being scrolled around on or the waveforms aren't being drawn on the screen. If either of things are happening then the cpu usage increases drastically.

I've run the test with and without active plugins in the test session I created and the problem is the same regardless. With a 256 buffer, the machine barely even flinches with a ton of plugins active. It's quite frustrating.

I'll definitely be trying a new HigH Sierra install on a new hard drive.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:29 AM

I'm recording 24 tracks at 48 khz, with the buffer size at 64 right now. And at the same time I'm writting to you on the same computer. All fine here.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Well apparently it’s not just me having these issues. They seem to be related at least to Sierra.

There’s another thread about the issue here for those interested:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397056