Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You got me wrong, I love the L3LL-Multi TDM plugin, as well as C6 TDM plugin and SSL Channel TDM... get the point? I was using Waves rather heavily and invested in them as per their promise

... but then their marketing dept decided that Avid's DSP platform isn't a major platform to be supported, and sure in reality it wasn't major at day one -- however replacing DigiDesign's DSP platform with Avid's DSP platform would be expected to grow just as major and there they just broke their promise.

There's no other way to see it. They saw competition in DSP platforms and wanted in but made it in such a way they alienated their old customers. If they would just have released poorly optimised AAX-DSP and compared that to their own offering then perhaps people would have switched for a reason, but now we were robbed that choice.

I'm not the only one who would have accepted 1:1 instance count compared to TDM, but you can call me whiner because I've been very vocal about this and because I'm a mod in here so sucker punches are allowed.
Totally agree. Our studio had a lot invested in Waves plugins back when they cost proper money and when we made the switch from TDM to DSP we lost all that. But I'm not sure who to blame. Avid said at the time that the new AAX/DSP format would mean it would be really easy for developers to port plugins from AAX to DSP but it turned out it wasn't, apparently.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
You got me wrong, I love the L3LL-Multi TDM plugin, as well as C6 TDM plugin and SSL Channel TDM... get the point? I was using Waves rather heavily and invested in them as per their promise

... but then their marketing dept decided that Avid's DSP platform isn't a major platform to be supported, and sure in reality it wasn't major at day one -- however replacing DigiDesign's DSP platform with Avid's DSP platform would be expected to grow just as major and there they just broke their promise.

There's no other way to see it. They saw competition in DSP platforms and wanted in but made it in such a way they alienated their old customers. If they would just have released poorly optimised AAX-DSP and compared that to their own offering then perhaps people would have switched for a reason, but now we were robbed that choice.

I'm not the only one who would have accepted 1:1 instance count compared to TDM, but you can call me whiner because I've been very vocal about this and because I'm a mod in here so sucker punches are allowed.

So Waves breaking a promise gets you all up in arms for years on end. But Avid breaking their promise of a constant flow of fixes and features while extorting money of their users for basically nothing year after year after year is cool with you?
I find that a bit weird. How come?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
So Waves breaking a promise gets you all up in arms for years on end. But Avid breaking their promise of a constant flow of fixes and features while extorting money of their users for basically nothing year after year after year is cool with you?
I find it just as unacceptable as you that Avid still hasn't released a Mojave compatibility release. I just keep my mouth shut knowing it will come. The next new features release should have nothing to do with this, but it may, so I'm just baffled why there wasn't a 2019.01 or a 2019.03 with nothing new except Mojave support, leaving the new features release wait until it's ready. Now everyone are waiting for everything and Avid's situation is a chaos they don't admit.

Avid could win this by extending every active support plan by X months admitting they dropped the ball but even then we need that rumoured release "coming soon"...

Waves, well.. once they release AAX-DSP I'll WUP again (and that's a promise). Cannot see that happening though

Difference?
Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I find that a bit weird. How come?
Exactly!
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
That doesn't mean anything
It means waves had a pretty active user base of pros. Buying full price bundles in tdm days. I have the platinum still from years ago.

I wanted waves dsp for aax. Because sometimes I need dsp plugs when tracking.

There is a reason waves is dirt cheap these days. They have fewer customers paying full price. And why would I pay full price for new waves plugs I can get for 10 cents on the retail price dollar? If waves had aax dsp I would pay full retail. Now they are selling for 20 bucks a plugin. In native aax there are tons of choices that are newer and better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM

I don't think Waves felt Avid wasn't a major platform (strictly my opinion, no facts to back it up) rather, it seemed more like they saw HDX as competition and wanted to support their own platform.

Regardless, IMO their decision impacted the overall AAX-DSP market. Without Waves support many smaller developers decided to wait and see, and then waited, and waited... and now AAX-DSP support is very limited.

Quote:

There's no other way to see it. They saw competition in DSP platforms and wanted in but made it in such a way they alienated their old customers.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
then waited, and waited... and now AAX-DSP support is very limited.
It is true Waves is the #1 reason why Avid DSP isn't as big as DigiDesign DSP, but as years go by less and less people depend on Waves and better alternatives (plugin alliance for example) come up and are happy to eat the DSP market that Waves didn't want to get.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
they saw HDX as competition and wanted to support their own platform
Their own DSP platform was nonexistent before that decision. The original APA boxes are truly doorstops in every meaning of the word. They saw a chance to get into DSP market and tried it, only downside old loyal DigiDesign customers dropped out and now they're in the 29 dollar plugin market.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
If waves had aax dsp I would pay full retail.
That's pretty much what everyone is thinking. And full price of DSP means 200% compared to full price 100% of native. Now they are in the 10% bargain bin.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Waves itself is getting long in the tooth. Notice how cheap their bundles are now? Always on sale. 90% of the stuff is filler.

Agreed. ....and while they are self sufficient (Waves) and one could live inside their own ecosystem (due to their vast collection)- I find myself going to their website every time they have one of those by 1 for $29 and get 1 free sales....I look around and then leave b/c it’s nothing I want

I have weaned myself from waves purchases - I still use a great many and really love a select few...but I don’t buy them anymore
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.