Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-12-2016, 09:14 PM

Default Re: PT9HD CPU(Rtas) drops to 0 after about a minute.

With the core card alone in the PC (PCIx slot), the problem disappears.

As suggested, that leads me to believe its related to the MAGMA PE6R4ir and the motherboards PCIe communication (Magma is a PCIe to PCIx). There are 4 PCIe slots, I tried them all, with no change. Two are PCi16x and two are PCI8x slots. The video card prefers the 1st PCI16 slot, so it's back in that slot, but I moved it around and tried every combination of the two slots, to no avail.

I discovered the Magma PCIe card has dip switchs for 4x or 8x, I switched it to 8x; no affect. (It seemed to register fine when it was in one of the 16x slots as well, so I'm not sure what affect the dipswitchs have).

I consulted the manual and block diagram on the motherboard, which states that the first two slots (16x and 8x pci) and the next two (also a 16x and 8x pair) share bandwidth. With the video card in slot 1 and the Magma card in slot 4, they shouldn't be disturbing each other, but the problem persists.

The motherboard BIOS was updated to the latest. I disabled firewire and network, as well as the built in sound drivers, to no avail.

I'm out of things to try. I'm new to the PE6R4i, but I'm assuming people have succesfully gotten it to work with a HD6 without encountering this situation?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:14 PM

Does it even past Digitest in the chassis?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:37 PM

Yes, all cards pass the digitest.

TDM works great. Every session starts out great. At one point yesterday, it went almost 45 minutes without the dump-mute happening, and it was a beautiful moment, I _thought_ I had solved it, super dissapointing. If it was happening with 45 minute gaps or more, I guess I could live with it, but it fails on the 2-3 minute mark mostly; not even enough to get through a song.

I also swapped in an nvidia card; no luck.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Continuing my troubleshooting.

I pulled another older PC I had into service, as a test case; different motherboard/cpu combo. Same problem. SO, it's gotta be the Magma itself or some other shared conflict. Anyone know of any core card rev issues? I know I've heard the newer mac pro's had an issue with the revK, but it's unclear how the problem manifested. Any one know of other issues like that to investigate?

With my processor set to '1', I seem to have the lengthiest run, I can go about 45 minutes without the CPU mute, though any clicking around on the screen seems to aggravate the issue.

Diving a bit further on Avids site, I discovered there was some sort of hardware upgrade needed on the PE6R4 to work with windows, if serial number is prior to B2-x. Mine is a PE6R4-I, which I understood to be a later model variant... but the serial is A2-x. I'm not sure whether the upgrade applies to me, but I'm currently investigating with Magma. Apparently, whatever upgrade that is, it wasn't needed on a Mac Pro. I guess, worst case, I move myself onto an older MAC PRO and regain stability. Hoping to stay on PC though, as I use SoundForge a lot in conjunction with PT.

Anyway, that's the update. I hope the magma thing pans out. I'm not sure I can still get whatever the fix is, but I gotta at least solve the mystery of the problem or it's gonna eat at me.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM

SOLVED.

So, my initial problem (CPU drop-out) was happening in a static state, that is, I was experiencing the issue using PT as an inline mixer. I've lots of synths and sound sources, and basically my PTHD rig is wired up like an 80 channel mixer. I wasn't getting any errors, just the sudden mute/drop out, in that static state. Which I found pretty frustrating as the software wasn't even really _doing_ much except housing FX. So, I finally got the idea to see how long I could record, and wallah, the infamous -6031 error popped up at about a minute. At least now I had an error, and that was actually some relief. Finally, a symptom and error I could drill on.

SO, tracking back through the knowledge base, I found that disabling my usb ports in the bios (except for the 2 USB 3.0 ports) solved the problem. interestingly, I can run a small hub off the 3.0 port, and get the 4 ports I need (Mouse, iLok, keyboard, which is two as it's a razor elite).

I just wanted to complete the journey here, for others who might venture down this road. With the USB disabled I'm now running PT9.06, under windows 10, with a HD6 system in a Magma PE6R4-I chassis and it's rock solid. It's really a pretty incredible system, given current used rates.

Thank goodness for this community, searching through the knowledge base was invaluable, thanks to all for the help!

J
Old 08-29-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicom View Post
SOLVED.

So, my initial problem (CPU drop-out) was happening in a static state, that is, I was experiencing the issue using PT as an inline mixer. I've lots of synths and sound sources, and basically my PTHD rig is wired up like an 80 channel mixer. I wasn't getting any errors, just the sudden mute/drop out, in that static state. Which I found pretty frustrating as the software wasn't even really _doing_ much except housing FX. So, I finally got the idea to see how long I could record, and wallah, the infamous -6031 error popped up at about a minute. At least now I had an error, and that was actually some relief. Finally, a symptom and error I could drill on.

SO, tracking back through the knowledge base, I found that disabling my usb ports in the bios (except for the 2 USB 3.0 ports) solved the problem. interestingly, I can run a small hub off the 3.0 port, and get the 4 ports I need (Mouse, iLok, keyboard, which is two as it's a razor elite).

I just wanted to complete the journey here, for others who might venture down this road. With the USB disabled I'm now running PT9.06, under windows 10, with a HD6 system in a Magma PE6R4-I chassis and it's rock solid. It's really a pretty incredible system, given current used rates.

Thank goodness for this community, searching through the knowledge base was invaluable, thanks to all for the help!

J

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control