Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Default MBOX distorted on playback, but demo plays perfect

I just installed PT LE Mbox and it seemed to load perfectly.

Windows XP Home
Intel P4 1.6Ghz
160GB HD unpartitioned but 93% free space
512Mb RAM
Dedicated USB port

I left all the hardware buffering and sample rates at the factory defaults; tried using mic and guitar through the Mbox with their respective front panel mic-line-inst options; no clipping during recording.

But when I monitor using the Mbox's INPUT/PLAYBACK fader I can hear the latency (fast delay) and distortion. But it sounds fine when turned counter clockwise (to INPUT.) I record anyway, and sure enough there is distorion during playback.

But here is the mind boggler: I loaded the PT DEMO SESSION (to check that Pro Tools is working) and it sounds PERFECT!

Any ideas why I may have this distortion?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: MBOX distorted on playback, but demo plays perfect

you plugging in via XLR cable or line input? If it is line input, be sure to check that the channel you are doing your insert on is set to the line input. If not, it will caus distortion when you attempt to record at mic levels. If it is XLR cable, try rolling off your pre's just a little. They may be getting a little too hot and causing the distortion. Sometimes you can get a dirty power feed also to your computer if you are not using a power regulated surge protector which can cause static/distortion.

Also for the latency, all the way for the monitor knob to the left will allow you to hear just what is in the room, and all the way to the right will be what is in PT. I would play with your buffer settings depending on how much ram you have on your machine to see if you can get the best results and try recording with the monitor knob all the way to the right and see if you hear the latency. Goodluck
Old 08-14-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: MBOX distorted on playback, but demo plays perfect

Ok thanks! I seemed to have found the problem!!

The PLAYBACK BUFFER size was too small (it was on it's slowest setting. I just re-set it to the middle/recommended setting and POW...cleaned up instantly.)