How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Default Drum Instrument Tracks Not Printing to Audio

I am using Additive Drums (AD).

In AD (which is inserted as a stereo instrument track), I set the individual "mics" (e.g. snare, room, kick, etc.) to output to separate channels. I then create the appropriate number of Aux tracks in Pro Tools (PT) and make the input of those tracks the individual outputs from AD (example: one Aux track will receive the input from the kick drum mic). At this stage, when I press "play", the drums play, and I see that the audio has been successfully routed to the various individual Aux tracks that were created (and audio is no longer being outputted to the channel that the original AD is inserted on).

However, I would like to convert these midi notes to audio (to save processing power and to use HEAT). To do so, I first create the appropriate number of stereo audio tracks. I then set the output of the Aux tracks to free busses. I then selected the input of the audio tracks to the corresponding busses. Finally, I hit the red record button on the audio track, hit the big red record button on the Pro Tools player and hit the big play button. Unfortunately, no audio is printed! In fact, no audio is even outputted anymore. I'm not sure what is going on here.

I do not have any issues printing instruments that have only one output (e.g. a synth program), but for drum plugins (AD, SSD, etc.) that require multiple outputs, I seem to run into this issue.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Best Practices When Printing Midi Tracks to Audio

Should I individually print the midi instrument tracks I have to audio, or is it okay to print multiple of them (usually a couple dozen) at once? Do you get any weird latency and output quality issues if you print more than one at the same time? It would save time to print them all at once, but I do not want to compromise on quality.

Also, on another note, are there certain buffer setting or anything like that I should be using before printing? I want to print at the absolutely best quality. I'm okay with spending more time to do so.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Best Practices When Printing Midi Tracks to Audio

Try this...

Take 1 inst and bounce it
Then bounce several inst including the first one all at the same time.
Then compare the 1st inst bounced single and with group... flip phase on one of them. If nulls, no diff.
This won't work if there's random modulation, but try with a sample piano.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo123 View Post
Should I individually print the midi instrument tracks I have to audio, or is it okay to print multiple of them (usually a couple dozen) at once? Do you get any weird latency and output quality issues if you print more than one at the same time? It would save time to print them all at once, but I do not want to compromise on quality.

Also, on another note, are there certain buffer setting or anything like that I should be using before printing? I want to print at the absolutely best quality. I'm okay with spending more time to do so.

Thanks!

What are you actually doing / trying to achieve? Are you trying to export these tracks to other DAWs or users? For just continuing to work in your own sessions track freeze and commit are likely the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Drum Instrument Tracks Not Printing to Audio

Why are you creating stereo audio tracks? only a few of all the outputs are stereo.

what exactly happens? You can't hear anything? can't see waveforms displayed?

There is good instructions for doing all this by XLN. Are you following those?

One guess is you actually are creating instrument not audio tracks.

Set up a simple session to test, one VI track, a few sends and audio tracks etc. (just work with a couple of the mono tracks). If that does not work post clear legible screen shots showing all tracks in your mix and edit windows so we can see sends, inputs, outputs, track types etc.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:38 PM

If this is related to your other question about printing multiple drum VI tracks.... you are worrying about too much and making this far too complex. print everything at once and then see if it's even justified breaking drum VIs out to multiple audio tracks.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What are you actually doing / trying to achieve? Are you trying to export these tracks to other DAWs or users? For just continuing to work in your own sessions track freeze and commit are likely the way to go.

Can I send you a private message with two questions sorta related to this? Don't wanna spam this guys thread
Old 09-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvly5t View Post
Can I send you a private message with two questions sorta related to this? Don't wanna spam this guys thread
Start your own thread and ask your question. Lots of folks here can add value more than asking me.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! I didn't know about this commit feature that was mentioned. Looks like this was exactly what I was looking for! Worked like a charm!

One question about it: when it creates the audio files, would I be correct in assuming that they are in the same setting as the project (24-bit/48kHz)? Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Drum Instrument Tracks Not Printing to Audio

Thanks to all for the replies! I ended up finding my answer in another thread I posted:

duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2448978&posted=1

Thanks again!