Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Session file Converter [PTX - PTF - PTS]

I currently own pro tools 10 and so does the studio I work at. I always try to keep right up to date, but that doesn't always mean that is the best idea for all of my clients.

Why doesn't avid make a simple program that does a quick save as ptf from a ptx file? It doesn't have to open the session and it would be assumed that you'd be losing all of the pro tools 10 features. This has bugged me ever since the change from pts to ptf. The save as feature is great, but many times you're in a studio or with a client who isn't on top of the latest software. This just seems obvious to me, also it seems like it wouldn't be hard to pull a few classes out of the current pro tools 10 software and make a simple program to convert the file.

Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Session file Converter [PTX - PTF - PTS]

They already do. File>Save Session Copy>select the format

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant a stand alone software for clients who don't own 10 so that the people who have paid for the upgrade don't have to take extra time to save sessions as for their clients
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajaun View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant a stand alone software for clients who don't own 10 so that the people who have paid for the upgrade don't have to take extra time to save sessions as for their clients
Why doesn't Avid make this? Why becasse they have a product you can purchase that already does this very well. It is not too much effort to do a save>as, if it is charge the clients for the few minutes (or more?) work that is involved. And if you are on the other end and really need to read different formats just buy that upgrade to Pro Tools 10.

Avid is very staff/resource constrained and just has a lot more important things to do than to ship yet-more stuff they have to support.

Darryl
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM

I get that from a hard business point of view. It's just in the modern software industry extended support is becoming a trend. It would be nice to see avid follow suit.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajaun View Post
I get that from a hard business point of view. It's just in the modern software industry extended support is becoming a trend. It would be nice to see avid follow suit.
I'm more worried about Avid doing things that will ensure they are still in business in a few years.

Avid has laid off so many developers, QA and support staff, they are *very* resource constrained. Avid barely has the staff to provide support for current products (but I think are doing a pretty good job with Pro Tools 10 engineering support) and they need to focus on getting Pro Tools 10 rock solid, getting plugins ported to AAX and Pro Tools 11 to market. Things like this would just be a distraction that would do way more harm than good.

Darryl
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM

Fair enough, though with the competition the way it is I could see avid become purely a software company and dump their hardware division. I think 3rd party hardware support was the first step towards this infrastructure.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 AM

Seconded. Excellent request. Many software companies would provide such a freeware tool automatically when changing their file formats.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM

While my first reply was maybe a tad sarcastic, I wouldn't mind an app for this. I'm just not sure of how much it would cost to create, how much they could realistically charge for it, or how many copies they would really sell.

While you ponder that, keep in mind that you can send just the .ptx file to anyone with PT10(as an email attachment) and they can re-save in the desired format(takes about 30 seconds from start to finish) and then they email back the .ptf(or .pts) file.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 PM

I have this exact situation. I am not a big Pro Tools user but have a session that that needs to be converted from ptx to ptf format. I will zip up the files and email it to you. ? Much thanks...