Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-16-2003, 05:07 PM

Default NTK or AKG C414B

I'm new to all of this, but I'll be primarily recording a guitar and vocals for the time being. Which mic would you guys recommend? Would the NTK work good if I were to use it to record a guitar as well?
Old 03-16-2003, 05:22 PM

Default Re: NTK or AKG C414B

Love my ntk on vocals... probably my favorite right now. However if you need only one I like the 414 much better on guitar. So one mic to cover both would be the 414. Got good results with it on vocals but it all depends on the singer.

002R, AMD2500+

Gear List:
http://www.davidkarns.com/studio.html
Old 03-17-2003, 02:09 AM

I got both and they're completely different animals...I often have to add some shelving EQ( @5k mostly) and cut Low-mids on tracks that were recorded with the C414 while the NTK has a nice presence 'sheen' to begin with. Naturally it also depends on your pres, converters etc. The C414 never worked on acoustic guitars for me (I prefer the Neumann KM-184 or sometimes even a Shure SM 57)

Andi
Old 03-17-2003, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by doorknocker:
I got both and they're completely different animals...I often have to add some shelving EQ( @5k mostly) and cut Low-mids on tracks that were recorded with the C414 while the NTK has a nice presence 'sheen' to begin with. Naturally it also depends on your pres, converters etc. The C414 never worked on acoustic guitars for me (I prefer the Neumann KM-184 or sometimes even a Shure SM 57)

Andi
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Really? wow, I have always considered the AKG's 414 to be a very bright mic. Sometimes to much on some females vocals but I have used it with great results on many things. I love it on guitar when you combine it with a 57 or some other dynamic close up and put the 414 a couple feet away. However I should say that I am more used to the sound of the 414 TL II version. I have more experience with that version the 414 B-ULS. You can get a 414 TL II on ebay for 700 from a european vender I believe. Normally isn't the 414 B-ULS about 600 in most stores?