Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Training

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Good Book to Learn Pro Tools With

Can you all recommend a good book or manual to learn to use pro tools. I know music, just need to learn the software.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Good Book to Learn Pro Tools With

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blues_Man View Post
Can you all recommend a good book or manual to learn to use pro tools. I know music, just need to learn the software.
While a bit out of date John Keanes book " The Pro Tools Guide for Musicians" is great because he spends a lot of time on file management and best practices. After that the "Pro Tools 101" course book would be good. Both of these includes session material to work on.

Russ over at the AIR users blog has a lot of great videos that relate to both Pro Tools basics and more advanced stuff like VI's and MIDI. You Tube! just search "Pro Tools".

The DUC's Kenny Gioia has a couple of Excellent PT tutorial disks out.

Last but not least. a monthly membership to Groove3 is probably a wise investment.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Pro Tools 8
Music Production, Recording, Editing and Mixing
Mike Collins

I have read this book at least twice. It has a lot of real world information
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Thank you both. I was looking at the Pro Tools 101 and will look into the second recomendation as well. Groove3 membership sounds good once I get started.

I am just tired of banging around in the software. My desire is to record myself and others but be a goto guy for help and work.

Thank you all and I am sure you will see more of me. Ive been lurking around here for a while...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
While a bit out of date John Keanes book " The Pro Tools Guide for Musicians" is great because he spends a lot of time on file management and best practices. After that the "Pro Tools 101" course book would be good. Both of these includes session material to work on.

Russ over at the AIR users blog has a lot of great videos that relate to both Pro Tools basics and more advanced stuff like VI's and MIDI. You Tube! just search "Pro Tools".

The DUC's Kenny Gioia has a couple of Excellent PT tutorial disks out.

Last but not least. a monthly membership to Groove3 is probably a wise investment.
Hey sunburst79, In reference to books for songwriter/musicians, would you have any idea how John Keanes book compares to "Gina Fant-Saez" Pro tools for Musicians and Songwriters.
I,d like to get one or the other.... or both if they really are that different.
thanks
Jay
Old 04-19-2010, 06:03 AM

Books are great and I know they have there place for many Musicians that don't have allot of recording experience, but like me and my best friend who has a studio also allways say, "The best way to learn Pro Tools is to make a whole lot of BAD Music" fire up your Pro Tools start a fresh new session and trial and error allot of trial and error and you will learn, plus you will learn how PT works best for you. Let me add I started recording when I was like 13 with 2 Boom Boxes bouncing back and forth to overdub, moved on to 4 track cassette and then on to a 24 track MCI/Neotek Console Studio before I took a 26 year layoff and then started recording again last year when I bought my Pro Tools system. Most of everything I knew came right back to me and its taken me a whole year of doing a whole lot of Bad Music to finally start to feel like I allmost know what IM doing in PT but I still learn something new everyday I use my PT system, Sorry for the long rant but just dig in record, write songs and enjoy yourself.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Pro-Too.../dp/1598639722

I found this whole series useful. Practical examples of learning PT by using PT to do audio recording tasks
Old 04-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus1900 View Post
Books are great and I know they have there place for many Musicians that don't have allot of recording experience, but like me and my best friend who has a studio also allways say, "The best way to learn Pro Tools is to make a whole lot of BAD Music" fire up your Pro Tools start a fresh new session and trial and error allot of trial and error and you will learn, plus you will learn how PT works best for you. Let me add I started recording when I was like 13 with 2 Boom Boxes bouncing back and forth to overdub, moved on to 4 track cassette and then on to a 24 track MCI/Neotek Console Studio before I took a 26 year layoff and then started recording again last year when I bought my Pro Tools system. Most of everything I knew came right back to me and its taken me a whole year of doing a whole lot of Bad Music to finally start to feel like I allmost know what IM doing in PT but I still learn something new everyday I use my PT system, Sorry for the long rant but just dig in record, write songs and enjoy yourself.
TOTALLY TRUE!

You should get all your pdf protools guides and read them.
And go to youtube there u will find some good channels of PT.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Andres View Post
TOTALLY TRUE!

You should get all your pdf protools guides and read them.
And go to youtube there u will find some good channels of PT.
There is bountiful information on the web. But one thing books have that the internet doesn't, is the ability to bring them where ever you go. (I realize phones have internet, but try watching a youtube video on a boston subway.) Also with a good book you don't have to worry about bad information. I believe that utilizing every media available, in addition to learning to fully understand first and foremost, what all the Pro Tools language, and DAW language in generalis and what it means. This in itself will enable the user to word the questions correctly, and give you a better sense of what you need to look up in the manual, on the web or in a book.

I browse here, and youtube constantly, but I always reference my books for the big stuff. Then I tackle the web.

Just my opinion.

Edit: And I did print the entire manual as well, It's a HUGE book. And although searching the PDF is nice, when you have the pages in front of you from the book, you can multitask better IMO.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 PM

Red face Re: Good Book to Learn Pro Tools With

Thanks for all of the responses. I have bee recording with various sofware for a few years now. I have banged around a was just "ok". What i am looking to do is "LEARN" it. I know a class will be one of the best ways, other than being with some peope who know and have time to let you hang around. I try to learn through ALL avenues. People, bookes, internet forums, videos, etc. Anything that i can learn from I will take it in. I am just looking for opinions on a good book that, like one person said, I can take with me. I cannot take my recording set up everywere. I cannot have the internet everywhere, but I can take that book most places that I do not have access to the above items. I am not looking to just stand over the keyboard with the book following every detail and instruction, though i might over something new :). I want to have a wealth of information that i can just pick up and read in spare time. I know this software can do a lot,... just dont know all it can do and how to even apply them.

Thanks,

I know there are others out there lurking like I was trying to learn from you vets as well!