Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2015, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating

Just thinking out loud here... is the Lacie drive bus powered or mains powered? Does it have some sort of built in "back up" or security option or partition (when plugged in, does anything else mount on the desktop beside the drive icon itself).

Have you tried temporarily moving your saved sessions to another drive and erasing/re formatting the drive yourself (sometimes the manufacturer can put other stuff on there that can get in the way of PT functioning properly)? The drive can be reformatted using the Disk Utility app and it is a quick process, also, did you check the workspace window to see if the Lacie drive was in fact available as a record drive?

If any of this stuff don't make sense to you, feel free to ask for more info
Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating

Repair permissions on the system drive.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM

Update-
I went through a list of optimisations on a page found on the avid website, i now get this error message-

Could not create a new document because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/148093/ProTools/DFW/MacBuild/../Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm", line 1549.

Any thoughts! Am going a bit nuts, I just upgrade to ProTools 11 last Friday and have got no work done! Svempra advised uninstalling and putting in an earlier version, think i'm getting close to that option...
Chris
ProTools 11.3.0
M Box Mini interface
Lucie Thunderbolt 1 Terrabite external HD
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 PM

Just a tip Chris: Don't bother to uninstall, just install it over your current version!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishayes View Post
Update-
I went through a list of optimisations on a page found on the avid website, i now get this error message-

Could not create a new document because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/148093/ProTools/DFW/MacBuild/../Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm", line 1549.

Any thoughts! Am going a bit nuts, I just upgrade to ProTools 11 last Friday and have got no work done! Svempra advised uninstalling and putting in an earlier version, think i'm getting close to that option...
Chris
That error was reported when using a French OS, and had to do with the Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup. Doubt you are running a French OS since you didn't mention that, but it might be worth deleting and recreating the Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup (find it in Applications > Utilities). You should also try launching PT with the N key down to try a different Playback Engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svempa View Post
Just a tip Chris: Don't bother to uninstall, just install it over your current version!
Might not be a good idea, especially if going backwards since most installers will not install older components when they see newer ones. Mixed version components could lead to additional problems like this.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:00 AM

For me it was a god idea! The Avid installer keeps the settings intact and just reminds that you have a newer database than that you are going to install. Just click ok! A breeze!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 AM

Update-
So, after going through all help offered here and multiple tips from PT support I am still stuck. So I installed PT 11.0.2 and am now getting a new error message-
'you do not have appropriate access privileges'
Am now 1 week with no software, have been all week leaning on friends for access to tools, would love to get this sorted this weekend- any advice most welcome!
Chris
ProTools 11.3.0
M Box Mini interface
Lucie Thunderbolt 1 Terrabite external HD
Old 02-28-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishayes View Post
Update-
So, after going through all help offered here and multiple tips from PT support I am still stuck. So I installed PT 11.0.2 and am now getting a new error message-
'you do not have appropriate access privileges'
Am now 1 week with no software, have been all week leaning on friends for access to tools, would love to get this sorted this weekend- any advice most welcome!
Chris
11.3 was the version of PT that added Yosemite support (see this), so if running OS X 10.10.2 (stated in your sig) you should install 11.3 or later. I know we've had an increase this week in download trouble, so if you are unable to download the 11.3.x installers from your account please let me know.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:13 PM

I did this: can't remember just when but can be worth a try:http://http://scotttroyer.com/2013/0...ivileges-5000/
Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM

Hey Chris,

Not sure if you got this resolved but I had the same error message this morning when I tried to create a new session. I called Sweetwater tech support and they walked me through a bunch of steps:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...s-preferences/

But the last step was to check the permissions on my external drive (Get Info) and somehow those got changed to read only and changing it back to read/write fixed it. It was odd because even with the error message I could still copy files to my external drive and edit/save existing files, just couldn't create new PT sessions.

Hope you were able to get it fixed as well.

-JA