Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Do you really have to completely restart Pro Tools when connecting a MIDI control

I've run into this quite a bit actually. Its as if PT doesn't see the ports activated when a device is turned on after its been launched. I've also had occasions where a full reboot has been the only solution. I categorize it as a "Go Figya" So my solution has been to have ALL external devices powered up BEFORE I boot and the issue never comes up. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Do you really have to completely restart Pro Tools when connecting a MIDI control

Not the same as your problem but on my Windows 10 machine I have several midi devices connected either through a USB hub or directly to the computer itself. I have an LPK25, an MPC Ren (I don't use anymore), Maschine Studio, NI S49, Antelope Trinity, Akai Advance 61, Grace Design M905 and the M-Audio 2x2 Anniversary Edition Midi box. Besides the Trinity not connecting during boot up every know and then, the M-Audio 2x2 will do something weird where it will show up in the Device Manager but it will not allow any Midi device connected to it to show up as a usable device be it Pro Tools, Studio One 3, Reaper or FL Studio. For some reason if I connect the M-Audio directly to the computer and not via a sub hub it won't work no matter what I do. When it's connected via the usb hub it normally operates correctly but every so often I have to run the M-Audio installer, select uninstall and run it, after the uninstall process has completed re-boot my cpu and after re-boot run the installer to reinstall the drivers and I'm all set again. I use the M-Audio for the plugin that allows me to control my 2 Bricasti M7's in Pro Tools, Studio One 3 and Reaper via midi. The times I have to do this I do not have to re-boot my computer for Pro Tools to see my M-Audio 2x2 midi device. This just has to be done before I launch PT and everything is good. What I did find out was that some midi devices will only work through my usb hub which is puzzling to me. The Trinity is hit or miss through the same hub as the M-Audio (with or without the M-Audio Connected) but about 98% or the time it just works when connected directly to the computer's usb port and when the Trinity doesn't connect correctly I usually just turn it off and on again then I'm all set.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Not the same as your problem but on my Windows 10 machine I have several midi devices connected either through a USB hub or directly to the computer itself. I have an LPK25, an MPC Ren (I don't use anymore), Maschine Studio, NI S49, Antelope Trinity, Akai Advance 61, Grace Design M905 and the M-Audio 2x2 Anniversary Edition Midi box. Besides the Trinity not connecting during boot up every know and then, the M-Audio 2x2 will do something weird where it will show up in the Device Manager but it will not allow any Midi device connected to it to show up as a usable device be it Pro Tools, Studio One 3, Reaper or FL Studio. For some reason if I connect the M-Audio directly to the computer and not via a sub hub it won't work no matter what I do. When it's connected via the usb hub it normally operates correctly but every so often I have to run the M-Audio installer, select uninstall and run it, after the uninstall process has completed re-boot my cpu and after re-boot run the installer to reinstall the drivers and I'm all set again. I use the M-Audio for the plugin that allows me to control my 2 Bricasti M7's in Pro Tools, Studio One 3 and Reaper via midi. The times I have to do this I do not have to re-boot my computer for Pro Tools to see my M-Audio 2x2 midi device. This just has to be done before I launch PT and everything is good. What I did find out was that some midi devices will only work through my usb hub which is puzzling to me. The Trinity is hit or miss through the same hub as the M-Audio (with or without the M-Audio Connected) but about 98% or the time it just works when connected directly to the computer's usb port and when the Trinity doesn't connect correctly I usually just turn it off and on again then I'm all set.

Wow! Sounds like you need to have a ProTools start-up checklist longer than the astronauts have to launch into space.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Wow! Sounds like you need to have a ProTools start-up checklist longer than the astronauts have to launch into space.
I know it sounds like a lot, but usually when I boot up everything works fine....but if something is wrong at least I know where to start as well as a solution.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Imho this is just one of the crappy windows bus architecture/driver issues
Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 AM

In September 2016, Windows 10 added the ability to detect MIDI device arrival/removal:

MIDI Enhancements in Windows 10
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...zXwyeWwTp7Q.97

It looks like Cakewalk is already taking advantage of this. I hope Avid will take advantage of this as well. Having to restart your DAW to plug in a keyboard is a bit silly. I know some people just have them permanently plugged in, but not everyone has a setup where this is feasible.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
In September 2016, Windows 10 added the ability to detect MIDI device arrival/removal:

I hope Avid will take advantage of this as well. Having to restart your DAW to plug in a keyboard is a bit silly.
Super cool, did not know about that......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post

It looks like Cakewalk is already taking advantage of this. I hope Avid will take advantage of this as well. Having to restart your DAW to plug in a keyboard is a bit silly. I know some people just have them permanently plugged in, but not everyone has a setup where this is feasible.

I'm bumping this as this has not been implemented in Pro Tools yet. Don't know why???
It would be great to have this work on Windows.