Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Pro Tools Learning Curve

I have been using Digital Performer on the Mac for 10 (old 2408 and G4) years and it is time to upgrade my system. I am very interested in going to PT9 and wondered how steep the learning curve would be. It appears that many of the screens in DP have been modeled after PT. I once tried Emagic Logic and found it fairly user hostile. Pro Tools appears pretty elegant and has industry-wide acceptance. I have Waves Gold Native which I can upgrade reasonable as well. Would get new iMac and external OWC drive for Audio. Looking at the MBox Pro and PT9 bundle.

Any input appreciated-

-dj
Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Learning Curve

Like any pro software, there is certainly a bit of a learning curve. However, I found it not as steep as Logic, and it has by far the simplest mix section of any DAW I've used.

There are also plenty of resources available to the novice user. Lots of good tutorials on YouTube, the AirUsersBlog and many others. The best thing to learn right off the bat are shortcuts, which come in a PDF with the software and are available on the website.

The Pro Tools 101 textbook is also an excellent way to learn the fundamentals of the software and has a lot of good tutorials. These foruns aren't a bad way to learn either.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM

I used DP on a G4 many years ago. I remember when going to Pro Tools, it felt similar, but less cluttered and didn't have a bunch of windows to open for each and every task.
I think you'll feel at home in PT in many ways, but of course there is a learning curve with everything. Compared to when I learned Logic, which felt anything but what the name suggests (not slamming Logic or anything, it just took some effort to get used to), Pro Tools really just makes sense in so many ways, especially if you record, mix and edit audio.
The downside of PT may be if you use a lot of VI's, the system can get bogged down (which is why I start/compose my projects in Logic, bounce out tracks as audio, then import in PT for editing / mixing). Then again, if you are coming from an old system and get PT on any of the approved current Macs, you'll feel like you're flying. 8-10 VI's is usually no problem on my 15" MacBook Pro 2.66 i7. Just follow the recommended system optimization steps and you should be fine. There's links to videos etc. at the top of this page and this DUC board is a gold mine of info and I spent weeks reading stuff here before I bought PT, and I'm still here all time, 5-6 years later.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM

This is really helpful, I appreciate it. I probably won't use any VIs except maybe drums. I like to play the bass via midi and print the track later. I like playing instruments like keyboards and guitars in real time, like an old style tape recorder, and then just copying and pasting the tracks for repeated verses or choruses in my songs. Not complex stuff at all. The ability to load someone else's project and do the mixing and mastering is another plus, as Pro Tools is the audio coin-of-the realm these days.

Thanks again-
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
This is really helpful, I appreciate it. I probably won't use any VIs except maybe drums. I like to play the bass via midi and print the track later. I like playing instruments like keyboards and guitars in real time, like an old style tape recorder, and then just copying and pasting the tracks for repeated verses or choruses in my songs. Not complex stuff at all. The ability to load someone else's project and do the mixing and mastering is another plus, as Pro Tools is the audio coin-of-the realm these days.

Thanks again-
I Used To Be Sponsored By Motu.... Used It None Stop... From What I Heard, A While Back, In 96?.... The Guy Who Designed The "Midi" For MOTU Went To Work For Digidesign!! Midi In PT 4 Sucked!! PT 5 Was A Huge Upgrade... Midi Programing In PT Is Very Similar To Performer, It's Stayed The Same (Pretty Much) Ever since...
Audio Editing In PT Is Much More Intuitive...
If You Ask Me There's Not Much Of A Learning Curve.....When Moving From Performer To Pro-Tools....Just Different Terminology.....
Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Good to know! I am a fast learner but am glad to hear that the workflow is fairly similar between the two. Looks like I will get the MBox Pro/PT 9 bundle, iMac 21.5" quad core, OWC FW drive for Audio, should get me started.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
Good to know! I am a fast learner but am glad to hear that the workflow is fairly similar between the two. Looks like I will get the MBox Pro/PT 9 bundle, iMac 21.5" quad core, OWC FW drive for Audio, should get me started.
Yeah It Should!!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:37 AM

What helped me -not always a quick learner, is a $25 a month subscription to web sites such as www.lynda.com and www.groove3.com very good tutorials with practical hands on how to workflows .
My best advise to a beginner is going through those tutorials one step at a time. Eli Kreitzengberg and Kenny Gioya at groove3 and David Frantz and Brian White at Lynda.com . Look into tutorials for your version of pro-tools ,go slow do not rush. it will come to you.
Also a good Mac computer will save you tons of agony.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 AM

How easy did you get a firm grasp of DP? If you are fairly confident in that, you should be fine in PT. It is fairly easy...

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 AM

I originally came from Vision, DP was fairly easy to learn. The nomenclature was a little strange, chunks and soundbites etc, but I was able to grasp it after a short time working with the program. There are a lot of really advanced features that I never used, but I can do everything I need. I am pretty good about manual reading. I downloaded the 1200 page PT manual already and am perusing that.

This is a great forum, and I appreciate all of the responses from the experienced users out there, Thanks!!
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4