Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 06-08-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: no render to disk? :(

Just so others who may not know, will, logic supports fast bounce to disk. The caveat is, if you have any dsp on your audio interface, lets say mixing ala motu, or even built in effects, ala metric halo, then it's a no go.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM

I have to agree-- there's no reason NOT to implement this as an option for those that want it.

I can understand not being able to use real-time plugins with it -- but for those who are creating many 20-40 minute tracks, bouncing in real-time is just painful. (We produce 2-4 hour radio shows)

We're actually still using some old 4.3.1 workstations with Powermix solely for the ability to bounce faster.

Since the hardware and software are no longer supported- we're sort of stuck. About to move to Logic, but all our producers LOVE ProTools, so we're trying to maintain the old hardware as long as possible. Plus Logic seems more complicated, geared for midi users and more difficult to use than Protools. Moving forward, we can't see buying any of the current ProTools setups. Probably going to have to go to Logic or Nuendo, unfortunately.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to add an option to 'render to disk' without compromising any other features.

-D
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
i tell my teacher that crap all the time.. i say for pr tools im only gonna do songs.. no dj mixtapes on that.. because id hate to sit and listen to 82 minutes of songs and then when i say man that track isnt level here.. go back sit another 82 minutes..
l

haha
cd's dont hold 82 mins.
had to laugh, sorry.

(you have a little bit more to learn)

-niknak
Old 08-07-2006, 10:05 AM

personally i quite enjoy when it comes time to bounce.. set it going, go off for a cup of tea or whatever...relax and listen to the song from outside the room. it's never been a hassle.

the longest thing i've had to bounce, a ~45 minute recording of a stage play, i just consolidated, audiosuited, and exported the file :P
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 AM

I actually sit and listen to the Bouncing, just to be sure it's coming as good as it sounds, and I also happen to love my music, or any music I produce for other people. I guess it helps to really be a fan of what you're creating or producing! And even then, I sit and listen from beginning to end. Really, while bouncing, I have time to make a decision or two. If I feel suddenly that a delay should be added, or some flanger should be thrown in, I cancel, change it up, and Bounce again, then listen. Of course, the longest song I've bounced is 10 minutes, give or take. If I had to Render, I might miss an idea.

Having said that, I do agree that Render would be a nice added option, to be next to Bouncing. I mean, I know there's sometimes a song that sounds perfect enough for me that I just want it to be done. But because I love my music, if I Rendered, I'd probably still play back the song a few times in Pro Tools (I dislike the sound quality of wmp and itunes, maybe it's my settings, I don't know or care).

bassntreble, I do agree that insulting the person was a little harsh. There's users from around the world on here, English isn't everyone's first language. I gather you're standing up for Pro Tools (And good for you ), but though some people wouldn't use Acid, there's many who do use other software programs along-side their Pro Tools gear. You do what you need to get the job done based on preference.

niknak, glad I'm not the only one who noticed the miraculous 82 minute CD that was mentioned! LOL