Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 08-28-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Re: M-Powered 7 Academic Version ?\'s running intel

hmmm.... the silence is deafening...
Old 08-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Avid

Are you sure you aren't just using an academically priced version of Pro Tools M Powered, rather than the actual Academic version, which has different features?

How Pro Tools Academic Differs from Pro Tools LE or M-Powered

Time Code and Synchronization Features
Pro Tools Academic includes the following additional features, which are not included with standard Pro Tools LE or M-Powered:
Time Code Timebase ruler
Feet+Frame Timebase ruler
Time Code Rate Selector
Feet+Frame Rate Selector
Redefine Time Code Position
Redefine Current Feet+Frames Position
Use Subframes option
Audio and Video Pull Up and Pull Down commands
Time Code Mapping options
Old 08-30-2006, 04:50 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell, I'm running the regular verison of Mpowered for the intel mac. I don't seem to have the extra rulers metioned above.

Furthermore, from what I understand it is impossible for me to be running the academic version of mpowered as it has not yet been released for the intel mac.

However, the box I purchased has a sticker on it clearly stating "Education Version" with a code of 9310-1784-00 Rev A, and a further sticker on the bottom stating: "PT M-POWERED v7.1 EDU BUILD V 7.1"

As this was the software for a PPC Mac, I didn't install it, but downloaded the 7.1.1 release as soon at it was made available.

So, am I using the Academic Version Mpowered or the regular version?

Also, what does this mean for the future? Should I continue to use the version I have and update to the proper EDU version when it is released?

As you can see this is quite a confusing situation...
Old 08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator

roundaboutmusic (and technician)...

The version that you have is identical to the regular version of Pro Tools M-Powered in every way.
The only difference in the original "Educational Version" that you purchased is the price. Students and educators must prove qualification in order to purchase that version. But again, it is just Pro Tools M-Powered at a reduced price.

Exact same software and features, compatibility and license. So you have the same eligibility to current and future updates and upgrades as the non-educationally priced version.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 AM

My question is thus;
Is it possible to purchase this version, and use the enclosed iLok or whatnot with a download copy of pro-tools m-powered 7.1.1 for intel Mac's? I'm assuming it's available for registered members right?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM

OK i am using a a new Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro. I have the "Academic" version of Pro-Tools M-Powered (It says so on the install cd i am looking at, the manual describing it and the box it came in). It is working, as in it will install and load up, BUT i cannot get a disk drive to be recognized as a "valid audio volume" once i am in the program. Perhaps this is the compatability that is being worked on?
Sufice to say, i purchased this software at the NYU computer store (they had the Mbox 2 there as well) where all the sell are new Intel Macs. No where to be seen were "educational" PT M-powered that would actually run on the computers they were selling. So either NYU purchasing screwed up, or the Digi sales rep screwed up, but the students needing this software (required i might add) are the ones paying the price.
What is actually going on? Why can i run this software at all? Why would Digidesign not bother to give a disk with OSX drivers for the iLok or mention in the manual to go download drivers for the PACE webiste?
Thanks for any replies clearing this up.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:53 AM

the academic version that i bought and sold recent would not let me authorize any other verisons of m powered.. when i would try to use the cs updates and i called digi they told me that i could only use pro tools academic and pt academic will NOT authorize any other verisons of m powered.. (not even good ole 6.8) so i got rid of it.. i though that wasnt cool at all.. gonna make the version all stripped down without letting those details be noticed unless you hounddog search for them. i recommend anyone just getting the full version cause the other academic version sucks..

System's

Mac Pro 2,1 8-Core 3.0 GHZ
9GB Ram
10TB Space
OSX 10.6.7. PT 10 HD 10.2

Late 2013 15' Retina MacBook Pro
Fully Loaded Specs (No Other Choice..lol)
OSX 10.9 Running Pro Tools 10 HD 10.2 (Stable!!)