Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Default PT won't launch PLEASE HELP

I've been a LE user for a long time and every time I've had a computer crash it's been a nightmare re-installing everything. After a very long fight with Avid I switched to Sonar, but I put another computer together to use PT again. Since I had a disk version of 7.4 I decided to use a Pentium 4 running win XP. I've installed everything, but when I click on the PT desktop icon I get nothing. The hourglass appears then goes away. I get no error messages, just nothing! I've been through the troubleshooting docs but find anything in reference to my problem. Someone please help me.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Re: PT won't launch PLEASE HELP

Do you have Internet Explorer 8 installed? It's an issue with PT 7.x.
Sticky: Tech Alert - Installation of Internet Explorer 8 may cause Pro Tools to not launch.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 PM

I'm also having this issue. I have mbox and pro tools LE 6.4. At first I had the blue screen with the error "an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory". I did some research and installed the pace drivers, updated XP to service pack 3, updated LE 6.4 to cs9, and now after seeing this I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 and went back to Internet Explorer 7. But still when I double click on Pro Tools it shows the "hourglass" for a moment then goes away. CTRL-ALT-Delete shows that protools.exe is running and is using 99% CPU. Today is my first attempt to install pro tools onto this computer, which by the way is a Dell Laptop (Latitude D620) with 2GHZ Intel Centrino Duo and 4GHZ RAM. Any help on what to try next????
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp1323 View Post
I'm also having this issue. I have mbox and pro tools LE 6.4. At first I had the blue screen with the error "an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory". I did some research and installed the pace drivers, updated XP to service pack 3, updated LE 6.4 to cs9, and now after seeing this I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 and went back to Internet Explorer 7. But still when I double click on Pro Tools it shows the "hourglass" for a moment then goes away. CTRL-ALT-Delete shows that protools.exe is running and is using 99% CPU. Today is my first attempt to install pro tools onto this computer, which by the way is a Dell Laptop (Latitude D620) with 2GHZ Intel Centrino Duo and 4GHZ RAM. Any help on what to try next????
How did you uninstall Win Explorer 8? When I went to add/remove there was no option for remove.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM

If it's not in Add or Remove, and since you have SP3, you're likely in this dilemma:
Quote:
Important You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 950719 You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
See this page for details:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforxp

If this doesn't apply to you, there is an alternate removal method described on the same page that would be worth trying.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp1323 View Post
Also be sure you have CS6 installed as well as CS9. It's needed.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com