Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 AM

Default PT 8 | Auto Rename only Re-Names last selected file

Hi,

it is basically just like the header says.

I select 8 regions which are independent audio files. In PT 7 I could batch rename those with the "Auto Rename" feature in the regions list.

In PT8 - PT ONLY renames the LAST file selected and acts as if I had only selected one file.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a BUG

Thanks for any input
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Re: PT 8 | Auto Rename only Re-Names last selected file

Auto Rename has always been one hell of a bug.
I gave up on it years ago.
interesting to hear that nothing has changed here.

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM

As a matter of fact, I never had many problems in PT7xx but now I do with PT8.

I find it apropriate for digi to stop crippling the Mac version of PT in order to stay XP compatible. Windows belongs to the past and aint ever going to catch up again so it is time utilize the power of OS X and stop punishing Mac users for being smart.

Keeping x platform compatibility is like fighting a nuclear war with 1865 civil war weapons

Ps. I STIll have to visit a pro studio using windows. And If i
would, I would never rent it. 1st Q from customers is: Are u using a Mac. PCs are as dead as Bills lame excuse for a "hype" Seinfeld comercial.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

I find it apropriate for digi to stop crippling the Mac version of PT in order to stay XP compatible. Windows belongs to the past and aint ever going to catch up again so it is time utilize the power of OS X and stop punishing Mac users for being smart.

Keeping x platform compatibility is like fighting a nuclear war with 1865 civil war weapons

Ps. I STIll have to visit a pro studio using windows. And If i
would, I would never rent it. 1st Q from customers is: Are u using a Mac. PCs are as dead as Bills lame excuse for a "hype" Seinfeld comercial.
Seems the mac suckers are the ones having all the problems does'nt it???

I work with big studios all over the world and honestly the ones with the most issues are the mac equipped studios.PTHD8 rawks on a PC!Maybe it's time you re-think your situation and stop pissing your money away on Apple products.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Digidesign has publicly stated many times over throughout the years that the ever changing general Operating Systems by Apple/Microsoft is the main source for compatibility problems. It has nothing to do with crippling the Mac because of XP. It's a constant battle for Digidesign who need to continue to change the code base because these Apple/Microsoft general Operating Systems that are written to try and run everything out there, and are now nothing more than overbloated home entertainment media systems, constantly change forcing vendors to change their code base. It's these general Operating Systems by Apple/Microsoft themselves that prevent DAW develpment and advancement and are the source for many compatibility problems.

Digidesign needs it's own O.S. These Apple/Microsoft general Operating Systems are nothing more than bloated home entertainment media system toys now and do more harm than good in the DAW world. Their constant change makes them no good for DAW and DAW advancement.

Quote:
1st Q from customers is: Are u using a Mac. PCs are as dead as Bills lame excuse for a "hype" Seinfeld comercial.
Ya, that's why Digidesign chose embeded XP for their rock solid VENUE systems for live sound.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
These Apple/Microsoft general Operating Systems are nothing more than bloated home entertainment media system toys now and do more harm than good in the DAW world.
Astute observation!

Is that why Apple is moving towards the more streamlined Snow Panther and Microsoft towards, what is probably a refined version of Vista, in Windows 7?

But would any of that address the Auto Rename issue?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
It's a constant battle for Digidesign who need to continue to change the code base because these Apple/Microsoft general Operating Systems that are written to try and run everything out there, and are now nothing more than overbloated home entertainment media systems, constantly change forcing vendors to change their code base. It's these general Operating Systems by Apple/Microsoft themselves that prevent DAW develpment and advancement and are the source for many compatibility problems.

Digidesign needs it's own O.S. These Apple/Microsoft general Operating Systems are nothing more than bloated home entertainment media system toys now and do more harm than good in the DAW world. Their constant change makes them no good for DAW and DAW advancement.
I am not talking about the general stability of PT which is impeccable.

I am talking about BROWSING and renaming. The digi browser is severely reminding me of windows browsing "capabilities".

Anyone with X Code and a few hours of try N error can make a little and easy OS X file browser that makes PT's browser look like an infant.

Anyone having tried both windows and os x - knows that browsing in OS X is done at least 50 times faster than on any windows platform. And this has nothing to do with the speed of the CPU.

I have used both win and mac extensively over the past decade and I can, objectively, state that file handling/access on a Mac is light years ahead of PC. And I aint saying this to spark a war or because I am an idiot who likes Mac VS. PC discussions. Both are operating systems and nothing else. Only, OS X (Today) is leaving windows in the ditch. If that changes over the years I'll do the switch. It is all about using what saves YOU the most time and thus in the end, when the grim reaper come looking, you can say - I had more life time because I chose the operating system that saved me the most time doing routine operations like browsing for an audio file. Folks, sticking to an OS just because it was ONCE the thing to have and are not willing to try new paths are simply stupid and rubbing themselves of serious play time.

Mac OS handles files very efficient and fast. And I am only 1 second away from ANY file on mac @ any time. Provided that I know where it resides. And if I dont know where it is, searching via spotlight is light years faster than doing a search on the win OS. I just wish that PT would UTILIZE the built in capabilities of OS X which provides any developer with a built in framework for browsing and all the other routine tasks that a modern application should be able to do.

Browsing for a file in the digi browser is a pure nuisance. And I am faster with the OS X finder - than Carl Lewis on steroids using the digi browser.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
...Anyone having tried both windows and os x - knows that browsing in OS X is done at least 50 times faster than on any windows platform. And this has nothing to do with the speed of the CPU.
You need to try Windows 7 then. Out of using XP, Vista(garbage), OSX, Linux(search is stellar) and a host of others, Windows 7 just raised the bar in that department and I'm absolutely shocked. It makes Spotlight look dated and slow. I use both platforms and I hate to say it because I'm eating my own words, but Microsoft actually did it right this time.

Now when it comes to search in Xp...what a joke! I hit Ctrl+F to search and I'm confronted literally by a cartoon dog wagging it's tail along with a list of items to search for. What the heck were they thinking? Anyways, that whole search modus operandi has long been over. The original Blackcomb kernel which include the WinFS search was actually suppose to be the successor to XP but didnt make it until now unfortunately.

Quote:
Folks, sticking to an OS just because it was ONCE the thing to have and are not willing to try new paths are simply stupid and rubbing themselves of serious play time.
I agree and my newest venture is Windows 7. The first thing that got me hooked was the overhauled file search. It's something to be reckoned with.

Quote:
Browsing for a file in the digi browser is a pure nuisance. And I am faster with the OS X finder - than Carl Lewis on steroids using the digi browser.
I cant stand that clunky, dated and old school Digi browser at all. I don't even use it. It is absolutely stuck in the past and painfully slow.

In regards to the first post and my own batch renaming problems, I wrote a script on PC to sort it out for now. I'd recommend AppleScript on the Mac platform to do something similar until this issue can be fixed.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
In PT8 - PT ONLY renames the LAST file selected and acts as if I had only selected one file.

Thanks for any input
I've actually been trying to batch auto-rename without the added number extensions etc on the name. I just want all the regions to be the same name. Didn't we have a modifier key for this in the past cuz that ones a no go on my system in PT 8.

Shane

Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,

it is basically just like the header says.

I select 8 regions which are independent audio files. In PT 7 I could batch rename those with the "Auto Rename" feature in the regions list.

Thanks for any input
/push

This funktion is very important. Some official statement or solution/upcoming solution is needed since there are some posts regarding that issue resulting in nothing.