Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Windows XP + DiGi003 Driver Question

I am trying to resurrect my cousins home studio. The computer he has is a windows XP box with a 002.

I recently upgraded my studio from a 003 to new avid hardware and would like to give my cousin the 003 as an upgrade. He's running Pro Tools 7.4 and this system is never on the internet.

Everything works fine with the 002 but the 003 can't be found. I'm sure the driver need to be upgraded. This is a one way street for an upgrade and no way for him to roll it back if we mess this up. No internet, no backup plan, etc. I know, I know. It is what it is.

My question is which 003 driver still works with Windows XP. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Windows XP + DiGi003 Driver Question

IMPORTANT!!!! Remember to never hot-patch the firewire(at either end) as that will often fry the FW chip in the 002/003(and sometimes take out the computer FW port too)

First off, you posted this in the Mac section, so most won't be much help. Having said that. the driver is available(via the Learn & Support link at the top of this and every DUC page). You probably want driver version 9.0.2.65***(download to a USB stick and drop on the desktop of the XP machine)

***BUT*** before installing that, does your friend have the LE7.4 installer disk(or download) and authorization code? With LE 8 and older, the driver gets installed along with the LE software. Here's what I would try:

#1-With everything OFF, connect the 003. Power the 003 ON, then boot the computer with the LE7.4 disk in the optical drive. When the system reaches the desktop, you SHOULD see the "Found New Hardware" message. With the disk in the drive, it SHOULD find the driver.

#2-if above failed, power the 003 OFF and uninstall the old driver. Then install the download and reboot(power the 003 ON during the reboot).

#2-if above did not work(and you have the authorization code for LE7.4), uninstall Pro Tools(003 connected, but powered OFF). Reboot>run the installer(disk or download). At some point, the installer will tell you to "Connect Hardware"(or something like that). Power the 003 ON, wait maybe 8 seconds, then click Okay to continue the install. Once that finishes, reboot and open Pro Tools(you will need his authorization code that starts with "DIGI....." for the first run).

Last 2 cents; its not a one-way trip IF(the big IF) you have a backup plan. My preferred plan would be to clone the system drive to another similar drive(normally I would go to an SSD, but I don't know if the old machine can use SSD, or SATA at all). Second choice would be to save a drive image BEFORE making any changes.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks albee1952!!

First off, you posted this in the Mac section, so most won't be much help. Having said that. the driver is available(via the Learn & Support link at the top of this and every DUC page). You probably want driver version 9.0.2.65***(download to a USB stick and drop on the desktop of the XP machine)

Sorry about that - I’m so used to being in the Mac section I didn’t think about it.

***BUT*** before installing that, does your friend have the LE7.4 installer disk(or download) and authorization code? With LE 8 and older, the driver gets installed along with the LE software. Here's what I would try:

Actually, he doesn’t have the original installer disk - that was lost a log while back. He has a license on an older iLok. I can download a 7.4 installer and make a CD but that might open open up another can of worms as far as the license is concerned. He’s in Indiana and I’m in Arkansas - he knows VERY little about computers.

That being said, this setup was his dad’s - singer/songwriter (Whiskey Ain’t Working, etc.) who passed away a few years ago. SO, if there was ever a Pro Tools account no one has a clue to the login credentials. A big mess.

Thanks again for your help.

- George Scaife
Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Aha. Kind of a bummer. With LE software, the iLok does not help and you/he needs that authorization code, so a fresh start is pretty much not possible. I would try to download that same version and drop it on the desktop. It might be possible to run the installer and select a "Repair" option(which might install the driver you are missing)

Given all this, and that he knows very little about computers, it might be 100 times easier to choose a different course Any XP machine is going to be really out-dated and no current computer will run the old PT software. He may be happier with a new(er) PC, a modest interface and some modern DAW, be it Pro Tools, Reaper, Studio One, etc

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave