Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Default Mbox2 pro macOS High Sierra

Today I connected my mbox 2 pro and worked in macOS High Sierra.

I am so happy that i don´t have to buy another interface, I liked mine a lot.

So today is big day, merry Christmas to all of you embox2 pro users
Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 pro macOS High Sierra

Thanks for the positive report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-03-2018, 06:05 AM

cguerrero, I also have an Mbox2 Pro and High Sierra but mine is not working. How did you get yours to work? Anything special?

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:36 PM

I'd also like to know.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM

I am not OP, but I received a used Mbox 2 Pro today and managed to get it running on macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra. I will describe what I did in order to get it working:

First, I plugged in the Mbox 2 Pro and then installed the Legacy 10.3.3 driver. During installation, there was a security alert saying that I needed to approve the driver in System Preferences > Security & Privacy. I opened it and pressed the button that appeared there to approve the driver. The installation continued after a couple of minutes, and then the system restarted.
Now, this is where I was briefly disappointed: the Mbox 2 Pro appeared in System Report under Firewire, but it did not appear in the Preferences panel, nor MIDI Audio Setup.

I figured that perhaps because I plugged it in before driver installation, or that perhaps because of the security interruption during installation, these actions may have caused an issue. So I did the following:

1. Unplugged the Mbox 2 Pro from Firewire.
2. Deleted the Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro preference pane from System Preferences (right-click to delete).
3. Ran the Mbox 2 Pro 10.3.3 driver disc image and re-installed the drivers. System Preferences did not interrupt with a security request this time.
4. Once the installer restarted the MacBook Pro, I plugged in the Mbox 2 Pro right when it went dark, before the startup chime.
5. Mbox 2 Pro lights came on, it appeared in Audio MIDI Setup and I was able to configure to 24/96. Working beautifully!

I hope this helps you with issues. I am very happy I worked it out because I won my Mbox 2 Pro in an auction for 99¢.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM

I formatted the mac, cause it was important that the format was mac os journaled extended, but as my mac had Mohave the default format was APFS, so with that, it didn't work. When I tried to format it only gave me that option, So I took out the high-sierra USB, erase the hard disc, and began the recovery only with the Internet to get the option that was by default with Lion, which had journaled extended, I got it after 15 min. Again I formatted the hard disk with journaled extended. Then I put back the USB Installer with Sierra, just press alt while turning on and done. With that, I was sure to get Sierra with journaled extended.... the default format. Before I tried with Sierra many times but it didn't work, also I experienced that the audio controller wasn't working properly...I mean the normal controller that comes with the computer. NOW!!! I'm very happy to say that it is working again!!!!!, for a moment I thought I had to buy a new interface, but anyway...We old school know that that interface is amazing, and works without DC just with the firewire. One more thing, when you are installing the driver be sure is this oneMbox_2_Pro_Driver_10_3_3_Installer_78630.dmg

Another thing, when you are installing the system is gonna ask you that (preferences system didn't allow to continue...), so click in the message, and it is going to take you to a message that says...allow Digidesign to blablabla...say yes...
and...
I'm looking at my yellow button now ready to record

Not very clear? ask anything... we can start a mbox2pro manifesto revolution with high sierra...yes we can..yes we can...
sorry I'm very happy

happy recording guys
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguerrero View Post
I formatted the mac, cause it was important that the format was mac os journaled extended, but as my mac had Mohave the default format was APFS, so with that, it didn't work. When I tried to format it only gave me that option, So I took out the high-sierra USB, erase the hard disc, and began the recovery only with the Internet to get the option that was by default with Lion, which had journaled extended, I got it after 15 min. Again I formatted the hard disk with journaled extended. Then I put back the USB Installer with Sierra, just press alt while turning on and done. With that, I was sure to get Sierra with journaled extended.... the default format. Before I tried with Sierra many times but it didn't work, also I experienced that the audio controller wasn't working properly...I mean the normal controller that comes with the computer. NOW!!! I'm very happy to say that it is working again!!!!!, for a moment I thought I had to buy a new interface, but anyway...We old school know that that interface is amazing, and works without DC just with the firewire. One more thing, when you are installing the driver be sure is this oneMbox_2_Pro_Driver_10_3_3_Installer_78630.dmg

Another thing, when you are installing the system is gonna ask you that (preferences system didn't allow to continue...), so click in the message, and it is going to take you to a message that says...allow Digidesign to blablabla...say yes...
and...
I'm looking at my yellow button now ready to record

Not very clear? ask anything... we can start a mbox2pro manifesto revolution with high sierra...yes we can..yes we can...
sorry I'm very happy

happy recording guys
What Mac and OS are you using with your MBoxPro2? I'm holding on to Sierria running PT 12.8 on a Mac Pro 5,1. I'm worried about going to High Sierra or Mojave with my MBoxPro2. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:03 PM

I’m running mbox2pro on cheese grater, high Sierra, pt 2019.6, with zero problems.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Hey - I just tried the options described but still am not getting anywhere. I installed the legacy 10.3.3 driver but am not getting the Mbox as an option in the system preference window. Am running on High Sierra 10.13.6. Any other suggestions what I can try to get my Mbox up and running again??? Thanks!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:59 PM

Greeting!

I recently wanted to get my old MBOX2 Pro running and need the advise of the forum. I used to run this on a Mac Pro but would like to convert to running this on a Mac Mini Mid 2010 since it has firewire and USB. I have a firewire 400 to 800 adapter cable. The Mac Mini is running High Sierra 10.13.6. I have my original CDs for ProTools 8.0 LE and the iLok USB key. A step by step guide would be appreciated or a link to instructions.

The MBOX2 Pro powers up when connected to the power supply and the green power light is flashing green when connected to the Mac Mini firewire.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Al
2 LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 1.5TB FW800 <-> FW800 Port
1 LaCie D2 Big Disk Extreme 1.0TB FW800 <-> FW800 Port
DBX 286A Mic Preamp/Proc
Neumann U87 Ai
EV RE27 N/D Mic
Sonamp 260 JBL Control 28

Last edited by ahoover; 01-29-2020 at 04:17 PM.