Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Blinking STOP/PLAY transport buttons PLAYBACK ISSUE

With me it never went away... PT9.03 with CMPT on Snow Leopard.
Good to stumble upon this tread (searching for something entirely different) to notice I'm not alone on this.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushoo View Post
Reviving a dead thread - I've got this, or something VERY similar, happening in PT 9.0.3. (Haven't tried 9.0.4 yet).

It's more consistent, now, and has a workaround, but still frustrating. Basically, whenever I do a bounce to disk (to mp3, specifically) on certain sessions, afterwards I get the play/stop flash behavior - only the buttons don't actually flash. I hit play, PT thinks, then stops. The 'fix' is to open the Playback Engine dialog, switch the hardware buffer to something else, then switch it back, then close the PB Engine window.

The workaround 'works' most of the time but it's still very frustrating.

PT 9.0.3, Complete Toolkit, OSX 10.6.6, Mac Pro 8 Core 3ghz, 5gb RAM. Current plugins in the session: Reaktor, Massive, Omnisphere, Maschine, Decapitator, McDSP ML4000. Using Pro Tools Aggregate IO.
I have a similar problem in 8.0.5 (and previous v 8.0.x), where I press play, the Stop button flashes for some time and play eventually starts. If I have MIDI or Instrument tracks, they will start right awawy, with any audio coming in a few seconds late, emulating a train wreck. "Touching" the playback options (changing the number of processors or the buffer size) usually fixes this.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Fun new twist to my version of the issue (whatever it actually is): If I try and do two bounces in a row, without touching the playback options, PT freezes. Hard. My guess is because it's in bounce mode and trying to play, but never gets the CPU error (I have RTAS error reporting turned off), so it just locks up waiting for the playhead to start, but never throwing an error.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Lightbulb Re: Blinking STOP/PLAY transport buttons PLAYBACK ISSUE

I know the answer. Very simple. Make sure the viewing window is fully within the framing of the screen. If it's the slightest bit hidden by the border, the annoying blink will continue.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Wow, I get this bug in PT11 on Windows (and PT10). It's actually been in every version I've tried since early 2012.

I don't think the PT version I ran in 2010 had this issue (can't remember version #), and I didn't record in 2011. So I was pretty not-happy after spending more cash on PT plugs and mBox only to have this issue crop up.

My workaround sucks, I sometimes have to reboot my mBox sound card & PC about 4 times in a row. I never had this many issues with Ableton Live, actually zero issues with Ableton except I don't like it's mixer, but no bugs like this.

It happened again this weekend ONLY recording MIDI files, when using Virtual Instruments. I thought my new SSD would maybe help (shot in the dark), but no.

I thought spending $2K on a Mac would fix this, but apparently from what other posters say they have same play not working issues on Mac's too.

You can't adjust the buffer size in PT11, only from the sound card applet, so not sure if that will help... I'll have to experiment... although a fix would be best.

Running v11.0.1 on Win 7 Home x64.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 AM

I had this one yesterday, it turned out to be related to updating Kontact. This was on my travel startup disc, samples were on my recording drive, probably an issue. Anyway, removing Kontact cleared things up.

Best...H
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM

It has hit me today. Using very few plugs, one is Kontakt. It didn’t show up until two hours into the session, then, despite re-booting, it was present in every project file I opened, with or with out any plugs. Wouldn't even roll on a brand new project with no plug-ins. Happened about 6 mos. ago, and got out of it by randomly clicking the edit option buttons. That didn’t work today, though, and now I’m trying to reinstall. A colossal PIA.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:26 PM

I have a possible solution. After reading posts in this thread, I noticed a re-curring situation: in many instances, the problem arose when the sample count had been increased. I realized I had done the same thing. Logic: if a little is good a lot should be great. Using a UA Apollo Quad, I increased samples from 512 (1/2k) to 4k. Though I usually operate at 2k, the logic got me. PT12 with my hardware is overwhelmed at 4k. So it won’t play. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.
Before I came on to this, though, I uninstalled and re-installed overnite. Made no difference. But dropping the samples down to a reasonable number, everybody’s happy.