Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 PM

Default PT8/Plug-ins Minimum Version Requirements

Digi Please include Minimum Version Requirements for plugins and PT8. For Instance, the compatibility grid shows that I need MDW3 with PT8. This appeared to be correct, because when I upgraded from 7.4 to 8.0, MDW EQ did not load. Yet after reloading MDW V2, it worked fine. Perhaps we need two columns: Minimum and Recommended.

compatibility grid:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...n=news_details

After upgrading to PT8, here is what I found. I hope it helps others.

Mooger Fooger Low Pass did not work in PT8, but was fixed by downloading and re-installing the free download. (This issue is known by Digi.)

Massenburg Design Works EQ did not work in PT8 until I re-installed MDW V2 TDM. (Anyone know what the difference is between V2 and V3?). Search Digi site for "MDW 2" to find the DL.

DUY apparently needs V4.0. I have 3.2.1 . DUY V3.2.1 plugs do not show up in PT8.

Antares Auto Tune needs 5 or 6. I have 4 which is not opening with PT8.

Eventide H949 no longer works. Stopped working in Leopard and requires a $49 upgrade.

Sound Toys: MP5 (massive pack 5) updates (found on digi site) fixed Filter Freak and Tremolator when I went to Leopard and 7.4. They are still working in PT8.

-BUT-

PitchBlender Time Blender and Speed were working in 7.4/Leopard, but now do not work in PT8. There doesn't seem to be a workaround except to purchase V3 from Sound Toys.

IK Multimedia T-Racks and Amplitube LE are not functioning. Looks like I need upgrades here too.

Older versions of Samplers and Instruments not working in PT8:
(They probably didn't work when I went to Leopard,or earlier -- I rarely use them.)

sample tank 2 SE V1.1d1

Mach 5 V1.2.3

NOTE! Considering I count over 150 plug-ins in my plug-ins folder, this is actually not too bad.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 AM

Default Re: PT8/Plug-ins Minimum Version Requirements

Hi Erik,

Thanks for this. I agree with you, and was about to post the same request. We need to know which plugs require updates. I am about to take the plunge and want to be as prepared as possible without making unnecessary upgrades.

I read in the other thread that Amp Farm required version 3, but it would be nice to have this confirmed.

Thanks also for that info about Sound Toys, but it sounds like you had Massive Pack versions on all of them. I would like to know what the minimum Sound Toys TDM Effects bundle (full version) is.

I am also curious about IK Ampex SVX, which I read in another thread was having issues.

The only thing that was added with MDW v3 to v2 was RTAS and AudioSuite support.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 AM

Thanks Erik for such a concise explanation of the PT8/Plug-ins Minimum Version Requirements. This is just what's needed before upgrading.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:28 AM

Hi -
Good list, and I have a few questions and comments. I did a clean install of Leopard, then PT8, and literally went through the entire list of plug-ins on Digi's site, downloading every single one that I own to make sure I have the latest versions. While time consuming (better part of a day), absolutely everything works.

Now, my questions: where did you find the H949 upgrade for $49? All I see on the Eventide site is the download for the entire Anthology Bundle, but no individual plug-ins. Also, same for the MoogerFooger LowPass - I only see a download for the bundle, not for the individual plug.

Thanks and good luck with the rest of the upgrades.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:52 AM

Smile Re: PT8/Plug-ins Minimum Version Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erant1 View Post
Now, my questions: where did you find the H949 upgrade for $49? All I see on the Eventide site is the download for the entire Anthology Bundle.
http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivisio...ve%20Pack.aspx

Or go to support/massive pack on the home page
Old 12-27-2008, 05:11 AM

useful indeed but, didn't Digi gave a warning
here for the "upgraders" ?
as we all know that we must check plugins version before using PT - nope ?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM

It's not hard to keep up with plugin versions. First of all, you need to check newest plugin versions anyway every time you upgrade PT so PT8 is no exception. And when you have the current plugin installers stored in an USB stick, it's trivial to compare whether something has been upgraded or not.

Also, plugin companies keep their compatibility papers on their web sites, so just check and you don't have to guess. There are not dozens of 3rd party manufacturers anyway so even if you had them all it would not take long to check for upgrades.

And the most plugin trouble is with 3rd party VI's anyway, so if you use those you would have to be following those web pages from time to time to keep them working.

As soon as you get your plugs sorted out, PT will be very smooth.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erant1 View Post
Hi -
my questions: where did you find the H949 upgrade for $49? All I see on the Eventide site is the download for the entire Anthology Bundle, but no individual plug-ins. Also, same for the MoogerFooger LowPass - I only see a download for the bundle, not for the individual plug.
I can't remember exactly, but I found the H949 on Eventide's site. I think it was listed just above a massive pack upgrade link.

MoogerFooger I DL from a link on Digi's site. I also can't remember exactly where.

All this clicking and searching was what prompted me to post on the DUC.

Most, if not all, of the information is on Digi's Plug-in Compatibility Grid, but until yesterday (12-27-08) the grid did not show PT8. So I had to work extra hard.
Anyway, what the grid does show you is the latest plug-in versions that are recommended (which often translates into buying an upgrade). What they don't tell you is which older versions of the plug-ins work (with or without restrictions).

I have no problem with keeping up with plug-in upgrades (I don't work for free, why should they? No, wait, sometimes I do work for free, but I digress.) It's just that when you do a host upgrade, you never quite know what the end cost will be, because you don't find out which plug-ins you will have to pay for until you install the new host software. If you have a lot of software, the cost of upgrading can be significant.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's not hard to keep up with plugin versions. First of all, you need to check newest plugin versions anyway every time you upgrade PT so PT8 is no exception. And when you have the current plugin installers stored in an USB stick, it's trivial to compare whether something has been upgraded or not.
I don't understand your logic. If you have to check plug-in versions every time you upgrade, why bother to keep old and possibly outdated installers? I used to keep old installers, but now I always get them fresh before I install new software. I suppose if you have a slow internet provider it might make sense to hold on to the installers.

[/QUOTE]Also, plugin companies keep their compatibility papers on their web sites, so just check and you don't have to guess.[/QUOTE]

Yes most do and in time all will, but not all companies follow Digi's schedule, and if you are early on the upgrade path, you will find that some companies have not yet updated their sites. DUY, for instance, has a note saying they are working on it, but it is not up yet. And they often won't tell you if an older version will work with the new host. Naturally they want you to buy their new version. I am not mad at that. They are just trying to put food on their table, just like us.

[/QUOTE]There are not dozens of 3rd party manufacturers anyway so even if you had them all it would not take long to check for upgrades.[/QUOTE]

I think your perception of time is much different from mine.

[/QUOTE]As soon as you get your plugs sorted out, PT will be very smooth.[/QUOTE]

In fact I am only missing a few plug-ins, and the fact that it is a holiday week is making the process take longer than normal. I have been doing protools upgrades since PT III and I have found that from the time I start the upgrade to when I am completely back to where I was (software-wise) before I upgraded, usually takes about two weeks. This doesn't mean I am working on the upgrade 8 hours a day (I do have to make a living you know), it just means that by the time I hear back from all the various manufacturers, and get everything happy again, like it was before the upgrade, two weeks have gone by. Actually, DIGI has taken many steps to try to make this process easier, and I think it has been easier, it's just not 100%.

in the meantime, PT8 seems to be pretty smooth, although I have already noticed a few glitches and RTAS error messages that I never had before. Nothing catastrophic though.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zobler View Post
...And they often won't tell you if an older version will work with the new host. Naturally they want you to buy their new version.
Right. We really need the "Minimum Version Requirements" much more than "Recommended" versions, since all Digidesign is doing is recommending the latest versions on all the plug-ins. They could probably even rename the "Recommended Version" column to "Latest Version".

In the mean time, perhaps the best approach is for people who have upgraded to PT8 to post their plug-in version info and upgrade experiences here, as Erik did.

Also, I was told that Waves requires an update to Version 6 for PT 8.