Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Default For Bass Tracks: If Not Trilian?

So far when tracking, I've used Motif bass sounds, a few from Structure, and Xpand as well. Very passable examples exist here for acoustic fretless, Fender Precision, Fender Jazz, etc. I believe bass sounds are the most fundamental to a recording, so I am looking to upgrade. Trilian is the obvious choice. However, my bass tracks would then always be composed, written and performed w/my left hand on a keyboard. I am primarily a guitarist, but studied classical piano at the university level for a number of years. I've played professionally as a guitarist, keyboardist, and I've also played numerous sessions as a bass player in the studio and on stage.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me to get a bass. Part of a great bass sound comes from the idiomatic technical aspects of playing the bass. I am more than proficient, though it's been a while since I let my Rickenbacker 4001 go. If I went this route I would get either an American Standard Precision or Jazz Bass and record direct through my Mbox 3 or Profire 610. If I started live performance, I would get an Ampeg SVT tube amp. I am very particular about the bass. There are cheaper and lighter alternatives, but it's hard to beat Ampeg and Fender at what they do.

However, I'll just be recording at this point, and won't need an SVT. Any suggestions for treating the bass guitar going directly into Pro Tools? A direct box, plugins? I have Eleven Le--would using the Bassman be worth a try? I've heard Amplitube has very good Ampeg emulations. I'm striving for quality of sound above all.

Also, any suggestions regarding the bass: Jazz or Precision, single coil or noiseless deluxe pickups? Occasionally, hum does represent a problem when tracking guitars, but I still primarily use a single coil strat or tele through an East Amplification Studio 2 (Jeff Bober), and leave the noiseless deluxe in the case when recording (it's great live though!!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Tim

Last edited by TimothyJohn; 03-27-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Re: For Bass Tracks: If Not Trilian?

No takers? Since my first post, I've checked a 2011 American Standard Precision and 2011 Am. St. Jazz. Both very, very cool. But to my ears, the Precision sounded---well, the word true comes to mind. Although I'd be very happy with either.

As I said, if playing live, an SVT would be my choice, but this is not an option in my studio. I've come across the Amplitube SVX plugin, and the reviews are really positive. Running into an Mbox 3 or Profire 610, would I need a DI? A Whirlwind Imp 2? A Countryman DI? Some people really like the Sansamp BDDI, but has anyone tried the VT Bass from their character series? (And no, The REDDI all tube direct box is out of my price range).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. As I said, i really think tracking with an actual bass would suit my taste better than playing basslines on the keys---even though Trilian is one helluva product!!

Tim
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM

As for the DI, the one built into the Mbox 3 will work fine. That is a great sounding unit, and if you want to improve on the DI sound, you would need to go to at least the Radial JDI/JDV, or even higher like the Avalon U5.

As for the amp plugins, the Amplitube Ampeg SVX stuff is great. You have more options now with them. You can buy the SVX bundle, or you can buy individual amps from their new Custom Shop. If you're not familiar with how that works, you download Amplitube 3 Custom Shop free from their site (it includes a few free amps and effects) and install it. Then you open the Custom Shop application and you can demo any amp, cabinet or effect for a couple of days, and if you want to buy it you can buy credits to do that with.

Doing it this way, you can buy individual amps or bass amps or cabs, etc. You could buy a couple of the Ampeg amps and cabs, and they also have one by Trace Elliott, and a couple of others. Plus specific emulations of bass pedal effects that sound really good.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitubefree/features/

Another company to check out is Overloud. They have a plugin called Mark Studio 1 which is several officially licensed amps and cabs by Mark Bass.

http://overloud.com/products/mark_studio1_model.php

The only other product that I can think of that has a good selection of bass stuff is Line 6 Pod Farm Platinum. It's hard to find through dealers, but you can buy it directly from them.

http://line6.com/podfarm/

As for the bass, I think a Precision would be a better all around solution.

The American Standards are great, but you should also look at the newer American Specials. They're a little cheaper (partly because they come with a gig bag and not a case), but they play great and I actually like the pickups on them better. They're a little hotter and more modern sounding. I think they'd be more versatile for modern music. But they don't have a five string version, so if you need that, then maybe stick with the American Standard (but look into swapping out the pickups).
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM

nst7--Thanks!!

As far as the American Special's p/up, the 2012 Am St Precision now has a custom shop p/up--I'll be checking it out soon. I was surprised that the Precision sounds better to me. And no, I definitely would not want a five string--definitely prefer a four string bass.

The Ampeg SVX looks good, and can be had rather cheaply. Glad to know I can go directly into the Mbox. Simplifies workflow. I was just checking out the Amplitube 3's custom shop before seeing your reply, coincidently. Thanks for the heads up! I'll also look into the American Special, Line6 and Overloud stuff. Your opinion's very much appreciated!!!

Tim
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Live bass guitar through my Mbox 3 Pro is surprisingly decent.

For VI bass? NI Scarbee. I like the sound of it better than Trillian even.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 AM

Studio Devil's "Virtual Bass Amp Pro" is worth a peek too.
http://www.studiodevil.com/products/..._bass_amp_pro/
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 AM

If you have the cash, get an avalon pre like the 2022 and an empirical labs distressor. Then go direct into the avalon pre then out of that into the distressor, then into your mbox. I've consistently got an amazing bass tone with this setup, except I go into a 192 i/o instead of the mbox. It's nearly impossible not to sound incredible.

Good luck,

E
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 AM

I love a P-Bass.
I also have a Reverend Decision Bass, which is very cool (and quite affordable). It has both P and J style pickups, with a blend knob.
I generally record direct, using a side of my UA 2-610 into an 1176, and get very good results.
Most times I toss an SVX and a compressor on the track whilst mixing.
For compressors, I'm currently liking both the Soundtoys Devil-loc Deluxe, and the Kush UBK-1.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM

Forgot about Studio Devil. There definitely needs be more bass amp sims, as few companies are focusing on them. Most of the time it's like Guitar Rig or Avid, where they go: "Okay, here's your one bass amp".
Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Forgot about Studio Devil.
Read a pretty good review on SD in SOS. While not the be all and end all, it ain't at all bad.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk