Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Digi 002 restarting

My Digi 002 R has lately restarted by itself a few times - it suddenly just goes off and starts doing the power-up sequence. Sometimes it seems like it is having problems with the start-up sequence too - it never gets to show the sample rate, but just makes a few click-noises and then nothing happens (except the mute-led is on). Then after a while it starts clicking again and eventually it succeeds and the sample-rate led lights up.

Is maybe something wrong with the firmware? If so, how do I check that out?

Thanks in advance
/Lasse
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 restarting

This is really frustrating! I checked all over to find out how to update or reinstall firmware in the Digi 002 R, but I can't find anything.. Can anybody help me?

/Lasse
Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Sounds like that power harness oxidation problem to me. Somewhere on this site there must be something about using Deoxit to clean the power harness inside the unit, although just exercising the connection should probably disturb the oxidation enough to fix it temporarily.

Otherwise check out one of the other threads - someone was having similar trouble and using a different Firewire port seemed to do the trick.

Best,
Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the reply! It WAS the power harness problem. Since I bought mine second hand I had to just clean it myself.

For anyone else needing info on this: The power harness is the wires that go round in the machine from board to board - it starts by the power in the corner in the back and goes directly to the on/off-switch (on these first two points you can't get to clean anything). From here it goes to the side of the case and here you have one of those white plugs that you can pull out and clean on the inside. There are at least 3 others on the different boards - pull them all out and clean them (I used WD40, but I guess there are a lot of different stuff you can use - and probably something a lot bettter than WD40).

This solved my problem. I did it yesterday, so I haven't got a glue as to how long it will last - I guess at some poit it will start to oxide again. But at least now I know how to fix it and it shouldn't take more than half an hour (including some time for the WD40 to dry out).

Hope this will leave people a little less confused than I was!