Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Default System Usage Meter Question

In running a couple of projects with 11, I was looking at the new system usage meter and noticed a couple of things I don't quite understand. On the CPU usage, there are spots where the overall usage jumps to 100% and it goes read for a couple milliseconds. But it also is metering the 8 individual processors I have and no one of them goes over 50% and mostly its processor 4 getting most of the action. Not sure how to interpret that? Anyone know what that all means? If no one processor is above 50% is there an issue if the total is over 100%? I thought it would only be an issue if an individual processor tried to go over 100%? But I really don't understand how that works, or even how PT decides which processors are getting the action and which aren't.

The memory meter has yet to go above 20% and the disk meter barely moves. So far any way, that seems to be good.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Re: System Usage Meter Question

I opened an older session in 11 last night to see how things would run. After substituting a bunch of fx and such that I can't use yet in 11, I let it play. I still had the usage meter running up to 100%. I can't understand why. I thought with 11 being 64bit, it'd be more efficient and it would take a really large project to get usage up so high. The odd thing is, this same project barely breached 60% in 10.3. Not comprehending this. ANy insights?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Donald - this sounds like what I noticed when I dipped into PT11 for a bit today. I had opened a recently-created session (originally in PT10) which only consisted of an imported stereo mp3 track, a few cut/pasted samples in another stereo track, two instrument tracks with Mini Grand and a piano aux track (which had had TL Space in PT10) with a only a few plugins when I noticed the overall CPU usage spiking quite high with individual processors more stable/low, but this kept causing errors ... and that's where I left it?!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Donald - this sounds like what I noticed when I dipped into PT11 for a bit today. I had opened a recently-created session (originally in PT10) which only consisted of an imported stereo mp3 track, a few cut/pasted samples in another stereo track, two instrument tracks with Mini Grand and a piano aux track (which had had TL Space in PT10) with a only a few plugins when I noticed the overall CPU usage spiking quite high with individual processors more stable/low, but this kept causing errors ... and that's where I left it?!
So, the question is: why? or (huh?)

Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 PM

As my session was not enough to tax the new audio engine, etc., I'm going to go with 'huh!' for now ... I expect/hope Avid will address in an update soon.

However, it is quite annoying that when I find myself using PT10 because of the missing AAX64 plugins in PT11 (Slate being one), I routinely experience issues (since 10.3.5/6 I believe) when I use VCC and VTM on the same strack. I guess it's lucky I'm not a pro!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
As my session was not enough to tax the new audio engine, etc., I'm going to go with 'huh!' for now ... I expect/hope Avid will address in an update soon.

However, it is quite annoying that when I find myself using PT10 because of the missing AAX64 plugins in PT11 (Slate being one), I routinely experience issues (since 10.3.5/6 I believe) when I use VCC and VTM on the same strack. I guess it's lucky I'm not a pro!
Same here...all my issues started with 10.3.5. Prior to that, everything worked swimmingly! Not sure what changed in that one! And like everyone else, I think 11 looks great, but its not much good to me without several of my go to plugins and VI's, most of which we're still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and wai....zzzzzz...