Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Mbox 2 on USB over Ethernet or USB repeaters

My school won't let me use their multitrack studios because "Senior Thesis students don't need Pro Tools. Just do your audio in Soundtrack."

Uh huh...

Anyway, I've got my home studio, but for quiet Foley work, that's not gonna cut it. I have access to some decent sound stages designed for shooting in, so I want to build a makeshift PT studio. Without a crew, I need my controls all in the studio, with the computer outside the "airlock doors."

So, I'm considering purchasing a USB over Ethernet adapter to get 50 ft, so I can bring the Mbox into the studio from my computer outside it.

Is this possible? Has anyone tried it? I don't want to spend $70 just to find that digi doesn't play well with USB-Ethernet. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 on USB over Ethernet or USB repeaters

Just guessing because I never tried it when I had my MBox2, but I'll bet you would have a lot better chance at success with the USB extender. No protocol conversion to add to the mix. I've used USB extenders more than a few times with no problems, but this is Pro Tools we're talking about.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 PM

I would use long mic cables, put the Mbox with the computer and then get a wireless keyboard/mouse, or Frontier Tranzport to run the session remotely. I even have a 50' VGA cable so I can have a monitor in my drum booth and run the session from there.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM

I went with this suggestion, not having enough time to test and troubleshoot potential issues with an extender. Thanks all. Once I set up my permanent rig in Los Angeles I'll revisit this topic.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrin View Post
I went with this suggestion, not having enough time to test and troubleshoot potential issues with an extender. Thanks all. Once I set up my permanent rig in Los Angeles I'll revisit this topic.
For what it's worth, I found using a USB extender didn't do so well. At least, for me with an original mbox. Once I grabbed a 12' cord to replace my 6', the audio was unable to get to the drive fast enough. Having said that though, this was with a 6 year old computer (which died about a year ago) and I did not have a secondary drive.