How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Default Slate Virtual Preamp Collection

I'm amped! from his newsletter:

"Next, we have the new Virtual Preamp Collection ready to go to beta for testing. That’s the same preamp modules from VMS that you’re gonna love to use as color, tone, and distortion effects on your mixes. It can also really add some nice flavor to any clean preamps such as those on many modern interfaces. So stay tuned for them, but here's a sneak peek:"

"It’s also no secret that we’ve got some Blue FET Compressors coming soon, (and yes that’s plural), and these will be a great tool to add to your audio arsenal as well. And that’s just the beginning. There is a lot more in the works, including some new FX additions! Fabrice has also been hard at work on the FG-X2, which we have agreed only to release when we are sure that it is the absolute most perfect loudness processor in the industry. That’s a pretty big goal, but if you know us, we kind of like big goals!"

MacBook Pro (15-inch,2018)
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 CPU
32 GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
1TB SSD System Drive
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Slate Virtual Preamp Collection

Don't forget Steven's turkey recipe, in the same email. A for effort, C+ for execution.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Looking forward to buy the Virtual Mic Bundle,with a Mic and a clean preamp and all that under 1K which is a no brainer. They are gonna add more mics aswell in the future so investing $1000 in Slate and we can sell our Korby Kat 5 Mic package and be able to buy some more gear for the money we save Korby Kat anyone ?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Looking forward to buy the Virtual Mic Bundle,with a Mic and a clean preamp and all that under 1K which is a no brainer. They are gonna add more mics aswell in the future so investing $1000 in Slate and we can sell our Korby Kat 5 Mic package and be able to buy some more gear for the money we save Korby Kat anyone ?
Exactly.

My U47 is out the door!

I see IK Multimedia just released their version of Antares Mic Mod plugin too.

All kidding aside, I still use Antares Mic Mod to this day as an effect.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Exactly.

My U47 is out the door!

I see IK Multimedia just released their version of Antares Mic Mod plugin too.

All kidding aside, I still use Antares Mic Mod to this day as an effect.
What is your opinion about the Antares as we never used any of the mic mods and I would really love to try a few, saw IK and listened to their demos, must say it was abit hit and miss but the hits were pretty good IMO and i could hear quite a big difference. Mostly on the demos with their own hardware iRig etc.

Thanks for any info you have about that

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-25-2015, 12:42 PM

I know you didn't ask me, but I have strong feelings about Mic Mod. Strong negative feelings.

In my experience, Antares stuff as a whole is a crash-prone mess when used with Pro Tools. To the point where I own several of their products but never use them, because I'm afraid they'll crash PT. Which is too bad, Harmony Engine EVO is a really nice tool when it works. On top of that, installing mic mod is hit or miss because sometimes it will fail to recognize the mic models.

I'll bet money that the Slate and IK Multimedia versions are much more stable. But if you're feeling brave, I'll sell it to you at a huge discount in a heartbeat.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM

Well that doesn't feel that great Mesaone

I hope Slate's Mic Mod kit is gonna be a hit as he has been working on that for 2 years now it feels like

Regarding the IK My Mic thingy I wasn't that impressed as those demos just sounds like it ads a little EQ and brightness BUT i can be totally wrong there and they sound great by MicMod standard. I think we will wait for Slate

Thanks for the input though, always good to hear what other peoples experiences are with these plugins.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-25-2015, 04:52 PM

I don't have any issues with Antares Mic Mod crashing, now Autotune is another story.

I have read the multiple posts bashing Mic Mod since it came out and I get it, it won't make an 57 sound like a U47. But, I don't use it as advertised. I think it is a great effect for adding warmth and/or saturation.

For one example: If I have a vocal that thins out when the singer goes up into their higher register, I can boost the proximity effect in the thinner parts and match the warmth of tone they have when singing lower.

Can be a nice bass tone shaper too, lead guitars, etc...
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:03 PM

For fun I did a quick post of Mic Room and Mic Mod files over at Gearslutz. (Since the DUC doesn't upload audio). You can take a listen if you are interested.
They both sound fine for what they are.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l#post11504726
Old 11-25-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
For fun I did a quick post of Mic Room and Mic Mod files over at Gearslutz. (Since the DUC doesn't upload audio). You can take a listen if you are interested.
They both sound fine for what they are.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l#post11504726
Thanks a million for that. I agree 100% that they both do actually sound pretty good for the price they cost.

Again Really appreciate you taking the time to do this Ghostwriter!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————