Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM

Default Re: New Hackintosh / PT7 monster HD PCI Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Drake View Post
I think you are confusing multibeast and unibeast.

I start with the lion USB stick, then use the combo updater.

Using custom dsdt is the preferred method.
James,

Not at all!

UniBeast is a tool that creates a bootable USB (with Chimera and the Lion installer)

MultiBeast is a tool that is used post-installation to fix/install/remove kexts and other drivers.

EasyBeast is a setting in MultiBeast that loads a predefined set of kexts and prefs -- by using EasyBeast, you do not have to worry about many individual settings.

Quote:
I start with the lion USB stick, then use the combo updater.
But the point of the UniBeast (lion usb stick) is to have the latest Lion installer downloaded from Apple. Not having to update anything. Right? Things beak on updates, so no update is better, right?

Quote:
Using custom dsdt is the preferred method.
Why is that? If the EasyBeast method simply works, what do we gain by jumping through hoops? What does your rig have/can do that mine can't? I am really sincerely interested in what a custom DSDT will do for me that EasyBeast didn't.

Thanks for sharing.

J
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post

GPU -- my primary monitor is a Dell 30" DVI. 2560x1600. I'd also like to be able to drive a 2nd monitor as well -- but see #1 -- I want super quiet (fanless) GPU. freddarr, your Zotac 8400GS has a fan. Are there any dual DVI that can support 2x 2560x1600 that are fanless? What are you guys using for the Jetway that works?
Hi Jeremy,
Sorry for the late response.

The Zotac 8400gs its a cheap card.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B0037W6BP6 I bought it because eventually I want to use the HD3000.
But the intel card It's giving me headache. I keep trying on another hard disk to get it right. I can't open soundtrack. No cover art in iTunes even in 1920x1080.
this is the info in graphics in System Information
GeForce 8400 GS:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8400 GS
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0404
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2
Displays:
Acer S231HL:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: LNZ080024214
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

I have the corsairs memory fan always on my others mackintosh too. For the the cpu I use Corsair H80 with xcalibur fans.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-...=xcalibur+fans

Sorry for the delay
Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Fred - 8400GS didn't work for me, and others on TonyMac have also warned against.

I am NOT doing this for sport... I want a rig that works without any hoop jumping. So I bought a EVGA GeForce GT 520 for about $50. nVidia drivers support the 5xx and 4xx series from multibeast without any fancy stuff.

And I think it's safe to say that making Intel3000HD work is not worth the effort. Some things are -- but considering video cards are cheap -- hoe many days do you want to run head first into a wall before you simply use a compatible video card?

All the best to you.

J
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Jeremy
I understand. For me 1920 resolution is good enough to run Protools. I have 3 others hack one with Sabertooth X58 i7 960 w gigabyte HD6850 Protools Mpowered 10.7.4, that machine basically is for video editing in FC using dual monitor. The other one Sabertooth P67 i7 2600k w gigabyte HD 6850 for live video streaming with a Roland V5 10.7.3. And a Sabertooth P67 i5 2500 Galaxy 210 1gb Mbox 3 pro 10.7.3. On my studio I got a MacPro 2.8 8 core with Digi003 10.6.8. At home I got the Jetway with HD2. I started making hacks at work when I show them my fist one, Sabertooth X58 with HD1. They are all fully functional we run fusion to use Windows 7 just for one software from Enco Dad 32.
I hope they come with a good solution for the HD3000 I need that pcie slot for a ESATA card in x4 and x1, I see it in System Imformation but doesn't recognize the hard drive.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

I am really excited at the prospect of the new ivy bridge jetway board also...
NAF93 Q77 Ivy Bridge ATX Series
http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NAF93.html.

Wiki shows it still has native support for PCI...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Plus we would get USB 3.0 support and the Intel SSD tech.

I don't see it on newegg yet, or anywhere. This would be beyond terrific!

But there is another board that would work for an HD2 setup on the same chipset:
ASRock Q77M VPRO LGA 1155 Intel Q77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...157317&Tpk=q77
might work!?!

MacBook Pro (15-inch,2018)
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 CPU
32 GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
1TB SSD System Drive
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Last edited by Abomb97; 06-23-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: new info!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Hi All,

Been pouring over these posts for months while collecting my components. Got it all together and having some troubles.

Jetway JNAF92
i7 2700K
Ripjaw X 16GB
OCZ SSD
HD4 PT9.0.6
W7 Ult x64

Curious about BIOS settings for W7 use. Flashed BIOS update and set defaults to start and experienced some anomalies. Tried AHCI settings-met w/ no windows boot-disabled COMs, Parallel, CIR, etc. Tried various BIOS setting with no discernable affect on this issue. thus:

It seems that the last 2 PCI slots of the jetway share IRQ with whatever is on PCIe slots as well as other USB busses. Core and 1x Accel seem ok for a breif check (they find themselves on IRQs 20-23 with no conflicts) Introducing a 3rd card begins to shre resources with USB, LAN, FW card and the like and PT becomes unresponsive. After a couple of clicks through menus, system will freeze. I've seen errors of Digital Clock Interrupted -9162 and the PCI usage spikes and hangs. Oh boy! Open for a dialog.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODZ View Post
...It seems that the last 2 PCI slots of the jetway share IRQ with whatever is on PCIe slots ....
I would try and disable ALL USB hubs in system prefs and see if it runs well. then one by one enable until you find the offending hub. I ran into this a few times.

also it may be the video card rubbing dirty.

MacBook Pro (15-inch,2018)
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 CPU
32 GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
1TB SSD System Drive
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM

thanks. I did spend time widdling down/disabled USB's to just my ilok and mouse (had a card to house ilok internally, but....). followed ALL digi optimizations,nixed the net ports, trashed prefs-it's been chugging on a 3 min loop for about 20 minutes now. still not convinced. utilizing i7 intel 3k video. played with BIOS video chipset options (PEG/PCI biz) didn't seem much change there.

this build had some tripwires set for me(self) may have uncovered a bad accel card, though I tried a process card and it too failed, tried multiple flex cables, but cannot sucessfully poulate the 4th slot with either card I have left. that was hard to nail down.

entertained the whole multibeast thing, but I just like windows. really hoping this devil susses out here soon.

D$#@M!!!! just posted DAE -9162, digi (avid) says related to cards not connected via flex cable right but it also report with the text Digital Clock Interupted from time to time, so I think its the bus. AHHHHH

***another Digital Clock Sync was temporarily interrupted -9161***

Man, I sunk some change into this thing and am having a bit of buyer's remorse right now, I tell ya. I believe it can be done, but I've been at this for a couple days now and........woof!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Well, 4 days of fighting this thing, with no solution proved too much for me. Yanked those F'n TDM cards out of there, default BIOS, slapped in a RME 9652 and lo- this sucker has been chugging for over on hour now solid. Very dissapointed in the performance of this system with HD cards. After disabling EVRYTHING that could be disabled without compromising systems, this thing STILL can't play well with thise cards?!?!

NOT my first Windows HD build BTW

Months of anticipation and collecting parts for what I consider a major financial commitment has been met with major dissapointment here. If I wanted to just use my RME, I could have saved $100 bucks on a mobo that now has what appear to be useless slots for me. Are those slots gonna freak if I try to put some other DSP in there?

Sure, I still have a 24 input 96K capable sytem with all functions of HD except DSP on a screaming W7 system, but that wasn't the point, right?

hmmph-5 TDM cards & 192 for sale.......dammit
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM

ODZ,

This is the hackintosh thread, so I was surprised that you were going to use the Jetway for W7

mac guys (even hackintosh builders) don't talk about IRQs. We don't know. we don't care. If it doesn't work OOB, we're not really interested.

I just completed a build with the Jetway JNAF92 and Mac OS 10.7.4. it was essentially painless. Many, mac guys have successfully hackintoshed with this mobo.

Did you follow the hackintosh BIOS settings (there are very few changes, primarily enabling SATA)?

If I were you, this is what I would do:
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=406120#p406120

Good luck.