Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11

And don't forget, if you bite the bullet and upgrade to PT11HD from PT10+CPT at a cost of $999, you are also buying into a future in which every future upgrade will be much more expensive ... single version upgrades of PT HD software have typically been way more expensive than the equivalent non HD versions.

$299 PT10 to PT11, $599 PT10HD to PT11HD, and wasn't the PT9HD to PT10HD upgrade something like $1000.

That potential cost down the line for people wanting CPT functionality who don't have HD hardware is an ongoing showstopper, for me at least. I just can't see myself committing to that. $1-200 per year/two years to keep up to date I don't mind, but $999 now and potentially $600 per year/two years ... no way. Not with keeping all the other software updated too, and new computers from time to time (my unibody 17" mac book pro is 2009, and my 8 core nehalem mac pro is 2010 ... how much longer before they are no longer supported, or they fall over with age).

I've no doubt I'll upgrade to PT11, but unless there's been a huge PR cockup and the CPT situation is very different from what we're hearing (price and/or functionality wise), then it'll be plain vanilla PT11 for me and I'll have to learn to live without the CPT features that become HD only in PT11.

It's potentially by far the biggest kick in the gonads I've ever received from a software company, beating Avid's previous best efforts by a long long way.

Beats the still painful Steinberg kick when they crippled, then dropped Yamaha DSP Factory support while it was still a purchasable product, and after they had officially promised support was continuing, and the Cubase SX manuals continued to describe the functionality. Oh yes that still hurts, but the pain fades as there is no computer available today that can run the DSP Factory stuff. Except via a car boot sale ;-)
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio104 View Post
I Feel Tricked, robbed....i bought the protools 10 upgrade on march 28....now you f&%$ AVID have the guts..to say only from april 01...the users who bought or upgrade have the free upgrade....if you dont extend or give me and the ones like me the upgrade...i wont put out a single penny on any of your products in the future.......and might join the big comunity of people who boicott against you....Respect people....
Man I feel for you but why the hell didn't you wait a while? Word on the street was PT11 was coming soon. I was really close to upgrading last month but decided to wait and see. I understand you must be feeling sick though
I know Avid have to have a cut off point but I think they could of looked after customers who purchased in the last month or so.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 AM

I'm in the same case, I bought an upgrade exactly one month ago from PT 8 to 10 for 300€ and now if I want PT11 I have to spend an other 300€. So upgrading my system from 8 to 11 will cost me 600€.
I'm not saying upgrades should be free, I'm saying that since going from 8 to 10 was 300€ and going from 8 to 11 is 400€, upgrading my system from 10 to 11 should cost me 100€, isn't it logical ?

So obviously I'm not going to die if I don't get PT11 but I do feel screwed over...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM

I just bought PT10 April 1st and didn't get it installed until April 2nd. I am happy about PT11 but I am not happy i have to now pay another $300 on top of what it will take for aax plug-ins. I mean I could buy another program and come out a lot cheaper. I'm not happy about the cost for me but again, happy about PT11.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Yeah...I feel the same. Got mine on Feb 27th. If I had had 10 and been using it for a year.....well, okay.....not a big deal. But a month and days?
Why not use it for a year then upgrade...the one consistent thing with the upgrade price is it is not for an introductory period. I don't know if you use it for a hobby or for making money, but really, if it is for hobby, are all those time saving features (obviously geared towards saving professionals time) worth the belly aching? If you make money with it...PT 10 is not all of a sudden obsolete, make money with it and save some of that dough for an upgrade in a year or 2. Or save a little more and upgrade to PT 12 when it comes out and be the first to have it. Don't be the first to clog up the DUC with complaints just cause you can't be the first child with a shiny new toy.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooks View Post
Don't be the first to clog up the DUC with complaints just cause you can't be the first child with a shiny new toy.
Fooks.....come on mate! On one hand you offer a reasonable and balanced point of view......and on the other you make a snarky comment like that. I'm going to let it go other than to say....... I'll say what I want to, thank you very much mate! And if you have noticed, many others feel incredibly let down as well and have said as much.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

I know folks still on 8, 7.x and all the way back to 6.4)
Wow six that's too far back that's ridiculous

I remember 6 -

I was totally unimpressed because you had to enter your EQ curves manually you didn't have the graphical representation of the curve - on a 001

But then again I didn't get on a forum and say come on avid I demand y'all guys are crazy and ridiculous either

However I was not very impressed With that version. I got 7.3 soon after that. And it was like I came into the modern era
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 AM

Still no track folders, or did I miss something in the presentation??
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Will PT10 open PT11 sessions?