Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 AM

Default C24 no output sound

No sound output Avid C|24. Alt Monitor Not Working.
Until now system has been up and running fine for the last two years with no problems.
During a mix, lost all monitor output from speakers and headphone out.

Also, a very slight hum/thump sound coming out of the speakers.

I have reset all system preferences. Checked all monitors settings for stereo, ch 1&3, Alt monitor, mute. Firmware 8.0

Patched speaker monitors and currently getting sound from direct out of interface monitor L/R out.
Please Help
Thank You
Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 AM

Default Re: C24 no output sound

Have you tried a firmware reset? If that doesn't work Perhaps you have shorting cables connected given the hum you're getting?

Firmware reset:
1. Turn the C24 off.

2. Press and hold SELECT, SOLO and MUTE on fader channel #1 while powering the C24 back on.

3. Launch ProTools and visit SETUP menu > Peripherals > Ethernet Controllers.

4. There, un-check “Enable” then check “Enable” again. This will make ProTools rescan for the C24.

5. When scanning is complete, choose the C24 as the first unit. You’ll be promted that the firmware version does not match. Allow the firmware to be updated.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 AM

Ooohhh that doesn't sound good ..

What is your PT version? HD or non HD version?
What cable is connected? Is it the ethernet cable that came with the C24 when purchased or have you replaced it?

If replaced it need to be the "crossover" and not a normal cable. (Usually the connectors have color like red, yellow or blue) but not the greyish or white connectors as far as I have seen

I ask this as the cable can go bad quite easily and the ones that was shipped with units were quite bad and broke often.

What is your "comm board" firmware? It "should" start with something like b7 after reset and then start with b8 after updating the firmware when prompted via PT/Peripherals/ethernet port.

Do you have more than one ethernet port on the computer? Have you tried switching port to see if that makes a difference?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 AM

I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news but I agree that if your cables check out and a firmware reset doesn't fix the issue then it doesn't look good.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM

I might be wrong but the Firmware does not affect the analog circuitry of the C24 I/O’s. Be it the control room out, cue outputs, mic in, line out etc. When you refer to audio in the C24, you are in the analog section of the board. There is no need for a firmware update or to change the Ethernet cable, that is for the digital controller part of the board, and simply because you said, you used your C24 for over 2 years.

However, it does not hurt to check what buttons you have pressed or depressed in the monitor section. In addition, just as a reminder do not forget to check: Output mode switch, Control Room Main Output, the Alt Monitor switch and always the Mute switch.

After you confirm that everything is in order on the front view of the monitor section, get behind the board and check your cables. It might just happened that someone trip on one of the DB 25 cords and one got damaged or unplugged.

If you were using the ALT OUT 1/4-inch TRS connectors which would feed your ALT monitors check that those cables are properly inserted. Did you check if the ALT monitors work? A loud session could not have fried inside electronics, but could have damaged your ALT speakers.

I have used a C24 for about 5 years, no complaints and no problems and have left it on for more than 24 hours by mistake. It is highly unlikely that there is electronic failure, just because it happened…. Your board was fine. Unless there was liquid spilled on the board.

Unfortunately, if you check and confirm all of the above, it would be time to get ready for a repair.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Toledo View Post
I might be wrong but the Firmware does not affect the analog circuitry of the C24 I/O’s. Be it the control room out, cue outputs, mic in, line out etc. When you refer to audio in the C24, you are in the analog section of the board. There is no need for a firmware update or to change the Ethernet cable, that is for the digital controller part of the board, and simply because you said, you used your C24 for over 2 years.
However, it does not hurt to check what buttons you have pressed or depressed in the monitor section. In addition, just as a reminder do not forget to check: Output mode switch, Control Room Main Output, the Alt Monitor switch and always the Mute switch.

After you confirm that everything is in order on the front view of the monitor section, get behind the board and check your cables. I might just happened that someone trip on one of the DB 25 cords and it got damaged or unplugged.

If you were using the ALT OUT 1/4-inch TRS connectors which would feed your ALT monitors check that those cables are properly inserted. Did you check if the ALT monitors work? A loud session could not have fried inside electronics, but could have damaged your ALT speakers.

I have used a C24 for about 5 years, no complaints and no problems and have left it on for more than 24 hours by mistake. It is highly unlikely that there is electronic failure, just because it happened…. Your board was fine. Unless there was liquid spilled on the board.

Unfortunately, if you check and confirm all of the above, it would be time to get ready for a repair.
You may well be right about the firmware not affecting the analog section but it's worth trying, not least because if you contact Avid support they'd probably ask you to do it.

I don't agree about it being highly unlikely to be a hardware issue. There's a lot to go wrong in these things and they are built to a cost. You only have to look through this forum to read stories of hardware failure. It's obviously worth eliminating faulty cables though.

In my case, the first one I received was dead on arrival. The LCD screens just showed corrupted garbage. That was replaced by another brand new unit and within months one of the faders had failed on that one.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Man… Why would someone start to contradict and start arguing, instead of providing a logical guess and probable valid reason for hardware failure (which nobody would know, unless you are a god), and helping the man with his problem?

In my case, I am only going over the number 1 reason for incidents on this planet and that is: “human error”… Going over basic but essential knowledge of the board might solve his problem, and starting at the basics is primarily what someone should do and that includes checking cables.

Two things I forgot to mention, and would be nice to try is “Resetting user preferences”, and resetting “Analog to signal routing”. By doing the later you can reset the monitor and cue to default values.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Toledo View Post
Man… Why would someone start to contradict and start arguing, instead of providing a logical guess and probable valid reason for hardware failure (which nobody would know, unless you are a god), and helping the man with his problem?

In my case, I am only going over the number 1 reason for incidents on this planet and that is: “human error”… Going over basic but essential knowledge of the board might solve his problem, and starting at the basics is primarily what someone should do and that includes checking cables.

Two things I forgot to mention, and would be nice to try is “Resetting user preferences”, and resetting “Analog to signal routing”. By doing the later you can reset the monitor and cue to default values.
Admit it man it sounds like a hardware failure. It's misleading to state that a hardware fault is highly unlikely. No need to get shirty just because someone doesn't agree with you on an online forum so calm down dude!

It is possible that firmware affects the logic switching of the analog section and I implied cables should be checked... Jeeesh
Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys for your comments and ideas.
The one thing hasn't been mentioned yet.

HEADPHONE out jack is not working either. ?
(Failed the same time as Monitor out).
That is making me concerned. Hardware issue?

-Only 1 ethernet port is used.
-PT 12.5 native.
-Checked ALL monitors settings for stereo, ch 1&3, ALT OUT 1/4-inch TRS connectors, mute.
-Checked the ALT monitors and they Do work.

I will try all other suggestions-
Thanks again, I really appreciated it.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Talked with an authorized Avid repair that has seen this before.
It is hardware.
Monitor section circuit board and maybe the power supply to the monitoring section as well. Worse case $1100... OUCH.