Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Sibelius - Anybody Pro Toolers using it?????

I am just curious if anybody is using Sibelius 6 or Sibelius First and having good experiences with it. I may be in the market for a new notation program (I own Finale 2004 and have always hated it).

Is there an upgrade price for Pro Tools users? I did notice a crossgrade option which is a much better deal ($199) than buying it for $500. But I'm just curious if anybody has seen a Pro Tools upgrade option or anything.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Sibelius - Anybody Pro Toolers using it?????

Hey there...

I posted a similar question on here awhile back, and also no response.

I would like to find some sort of way to manually notate music and have PT run it. I know Sibelius can do that, but it's pricey... and no VIs to boot. Do you use Finale for that?

Plus, I have an older version of PT, which isn't supported, so I don't even know if the Sibelius will sync, via Rewire or something.

I also hear that PT8 has a "notation" editor onboard. Anyone use that yet? How useful is it?

Have you found out anything new and relevant? Anything you can share will be hugely helpful.

Maybe someone else can chime in here and give us some feedback/ideas???

Last edited by Mr. Kelly; 05-16-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Sibelius - Anybody Pro Toolers using it?????

I have the latest Sibelius First (only about $100 or so). I don't really use the transfer or rewire feature, but since you can export a midi file from Sibelius and import one to PT, I think it just saves you a step. I use it more for rhythm rharts or individual instrument parts than full scores, but I often do several charts a week.

Once in a while Sibelius First used to just go "poof" and terminate unexpectedly, but it hasn't happened since the last update, and it is SO much faster and intuitive to me than Finale (I also have Finale PrintMusic 2008), that even though I think Finale ended up with better-looking scores, I really hated doing scores in it whereas Sibelius seems to work more like a musician would think and less like a programmer would think.

My $0.02...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.