Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Wave Rider - Automatic Vocal Rides!!!

So far I am liking this plug.

I do notice if I automate a track and then switch from latch to read, then automate some more, such as lowering breaths at the beginning of a line, the plug causes the fader to flutter up and down quickly during playback. If I remove the plug from the track then it sounds fine and without the fader flutter.

I'm not crazy about the track selection being offset by the faderport I have hooked up at the moment (You can't select the first 8 tracks without removing the faderport from the midi setup menu or configuring it after the Wave Rider). It looks like it is like that for any controller, unless there is something I am misunderstanding.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
So far I am liking this plug.

I do notice if I automate a track and then switch from latch to read, then automate some more, such as lowering breaths at the beginning of a line, the plug causes the fader to flutter up and down quickly during playback. If I remove the plug from the track then it sounds fine and without the fader flutter.
You should bypass Wave Rider (not de-activate) during read/touch passes.
Wave Rider will only play nice in Latch/Write mode.
Quote:
I'm not crazy about the track selection being offset by the faderport I have hooked up at the moment (You can't select the first 8 tracks without removing the faderport from the midi setup menu or configuring it after the Wave Rider). It looks like it is like that for any controller, unless there is something I am misunderstanding.
It wasn't tested with FaderPort, so any input you can give me is much appreciated and will be documented.

Cheers

Vedat
Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 PM

Hey Vedat, let us know when you have a new Build up for us 8 HD users having problems, this is a fantastic idea for a plugin, and I'm not loosing the faith :)

Drop us a note on this thread, as I'm having way bigger problems then a Midi note - as you saw from my clip, the plugin doesn't do anything, and once the playback head is rolling, we loose all control over pro-tools, having to force Quit.

I'm very interested in the progress with this Plugin, in v8 HD

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Hey KingFisher,
Have you tried it with your other setups? (listed in your signature)
cheers

Vedat
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Hey Kenny - HERES A MOVIE OF THE DRUM MIX

I used "LIGHT" compression (1176) when tracking the top of the snare, combined with SPL transient Designer (My new found friend), and the Fairchild Plugin on the Parallel bus, there's probably "Alot" of different compression happening on the snare, by the time it's tucked into the mix.

It's a combination of those things in the vid. ChannelStrip is really just the EQ in this case.
Awesome. You made that just for me? Thanks.

That's what I thought. The Transient Designer. Didn't realize you printed it. I'm using the Sonnex Oxford one but I never thought to use it in Parallel before. I have to try that. The Fairchild sounds great on the buss too.

Also, try the Spl on the Rooms cutting out the attack. You can then make the rooms really loud without screwing with your close mics.

Sounds great. I think the song helps too.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Awesome. You made that just for me? Thanks.

That's what I thought. The Transient Designer. Didn't realize you printed it. I'm using the Sonnex Oxford one but I never thought to use it in Parallel before. I have to try that. The Fairchild sounds great on the buss too.

Also, try the Spl on the Rooms cutting out the attack. You can then make the rooms really loud without screwing with your close mics.

Sounds great. I think the song helps too.
iShowU is pretty great, I've got a line out of my console, into the line IN on the MacPro - so I'm always setup to "press record" - so it's no real effort to make a quick Clip.

Thanks for the tip on the Room Mics, thats a great idea, I'm definitely going to try that. I'm sure there are a Ton of applications for this Plugin that I've only scratched the surface.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundoz View Post
Hey KingFisher,
Have you tried it with your other setups? (listed in your signature)
cheers

Vedat
*** EDIT***

Sorted by RTFM

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Hey Kingfisher,
Have you selected the Wave Rider ports under HUI in your Peripherals?
It seems like it's not selected, or you're missing the midi driver somehow.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 PM

KingFish,

I think you are might be having some issues with the way WaveRider routes through the Peripherals midi setup as I am. It bypasses whatever tracks your controller is using (at least with the faderport). So, since my faderport is set up to control tracks 1-8, I have to have at least 9 tracks in my mix and set WaveRider to Port1, Channel 1 so it can control what is on track 9 (the first one it CAN control). That or remove faderport from the Peripherals midi setup and then Port 1 channel 1 will control track 1.

So my belief is if you only have 2 tracks and ANY controller hooked up (through the Peripherals midi setup) you will not be able to use WaveRider without removing your controler in the Peripherals midi setup menu first. Or create 7 more tracks and move the track you want to automate with WR (such as your current track 1) to track 9 (since WR can't control tracks 1-8 because the controller has them in use) and the automation with WR will then work.

Sorry if my explanation is not very good. I'm no Kenny

One other thing; the test button does nothing more than wiggle the fader so you know which track it is controlling. So route your setup then hit the test button. If it is communicating it will wiggle fader 9 for example. If it wiggles track 9 with it set to port 1 channel 1, change it to port 1 channel 2, hit test and it will now wiggle (control) track 10's fader.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Yeah guys, I'm an impatient LOOSER, I didn't read the "Installation and Setup Guide" - JUST the operational manual.

Once set up properly, it seems to be functioning - Considering I've posted 2 videos of it NOT working... HERES A MOVIE OF IT SET UP AND WORKING in PT HD 8

Still a bit of a Bug to have it completely Disable Pro-Tools if it's inserted, before it's set up as a Controller. Nevertheless, MY bad, I missed the most important part of your documentation.

"Installation and Setup" - "To ME", implies how to set up the software, what directory to choose, make sure Pro-Tools is closed ect.... you might want to consolidate all that info into 1 pdf document, for A.D.D people like me. - it might avoid alot of stupid "Hey this thing doesn't work" like my earlier posts.

Nevertheless, I'm playing with it as we speak - I'll let you know what I think.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA