Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Best way to move the Instrument\'s samples to a different HD

I've been reading in the forum about this and I need help.
What is the best way to move all the instrument's samples
from the system drive to a new HD. (Strike, Ivory, Hybrid,
XPand, Sample Tank SE, etc.)
I'm going to move them to the drive where all my
Pro Tools session are. Is that o.k.?

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Best way to move the Instrument\'s samples to a different

Quote:
I'm going to move them to the drive where all my
Pro Tools session are. Is that o.k.?
Actually, no, that's not usually recommended. Streaming samples from the same drive that you are streaming audio session data sometimes stresses the hard drive too much (especially when you are using more than one sampler) that it interferes with Pro Tools ability to playback properly.

It is generally recommended that if you are going to move your samples from the system drive that they be on a dedicated samples drive. Also, each instrument would have a different method of moving the samples, so you would have to consult the manuals for each on what the proper method is.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Hey 14,

An easy way to do this would be to uninstall and then reinstall - the install procedure gives you an opportunity to choose where the data goes. But, if you have any saved particulars you might want to email tech support and ask them how to make the move and save your special settings. If you move the data, you need a way to tell the software where it is. Sometimes it will just ask!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM

To begin with at the very least separate your system drive from your music drive - this would be my recommendation and it will be a big improvement. After that, you can get more complicated and resultantly efficient.

That's a good idea to have three drives - a system drive, a session drive and a sample drive. I'm not doing that, but I have to say that sessions are a collection of samples anyway and I'm not going to move the WAV files from my sessions out of the sessions directory and put them on a separate drive ... this depends on how far you want to take this I would imagine. If I hadn't dumped DFH Superior, for example, I would probably have left that and Battery, and perhaps some other sample collection together on their own drive - I certainly have enough drives to do all of the above.

But, I would rather have my sessions and samples on my very fast large hard drive with a large cache than to place other data on to my slower drives at this stage.

I'm getting great performance the way it is, but it's when the projects keep getting bigger and bigger that forces you to look for more ways to improve the performance. Instead of creating a separate drive for samples I would probably prefer going to a Raid system for all of the retrievables. But, of course, this all depends on how much data you have and in some ways the size of the drives, how big the drive cache is (16 mb makes a big difference over 8 or 0) and, of course, how much ram - all of this comes into play.

And don't forget, whatever you do, make sure you have a system to back it up (I have an extra big drive just for backups - of all of it including the system drive).

Also, sometimes (especially on joe blow desktop systems) your Firewire bus or your USB2 bus can only take so much drive traffic especially with Pro Tools hardware sharing the same pathway. So adding another performance drive can actually help to crash your system down.

Right now, I have found that the system is more stable with Pro Tools and the data drive on Firewire and the backup disk through USB2 - if all of them are on the Firewire I absolutely get warnings, glitches and freezes - so I limit the Firewire to the two crucials. Also, I have experimented with running the Firewire drive out the back firewire port of the 002 - but, of course, it performs more quickly plugged straight into the computer.

One step at a time Mr. 14.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM

Thank you for input.
Can I use a Firewire HD to install all the samples?
I don't have room for other SATA Drive

Mac G5 Dual 2GHz
2.5 GB Ram
System Drive 500GB Seagate
Audio Drive 250 GB Seagate

I have 2 HD waiting for an enclosure
one is 120GB and the other is 160GB.

So I think, if I can use firewire to store the samples
I just need to buy the right enclosure.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 AM

Yep. Firewire works just fine. That's what I use on my macbook.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 AM

I LOVE the Metal Gear Box housing. I just picked up three of them - catch them on Ebay - make sure you get the one that handles USB and Firewire. They're strong, easy to use, and they look cool too.

Love these:
http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Products/3506.html

Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM

What about the Oxford 911 Digidesign recomends?
Does the Metal Gear Box comes with this chipset?

One more question:
I have two new internal HDs
Wich one should be used for the system and wich one for the Audio?

1. Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s ( wich is the System Drive now and where I have all the samples )

2. Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s ( Audio Drive )

Plus the two drives waiting for an enclosure. One 160GB and 120 GB.

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM

I don't know anything about what Digidesign recommends - and I don't think there would be a chipset specific to the Metal Gear Box, as it is just a housing - but you can ask them on their website there.

Spkrgtr knows way more about Digidesign specific stuff than me.

My system drive is 60gig, about 40 are full. My data drive is 380 gigs and 120 gigs are full - and that didn't really take much, but it does include a backup of my system drive - so there is 80 on it after a month or so since I got it. I would go the 500 for the data and the 250 for the system. You can always add more data space, but your system drive should be a constant - 250 should be more than enough for just about anything you would need on your system drive.

You have plenty of drive space there! Shoot, you could have a PROGRAM Drive!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Thank you all for your time and your comments.