Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:48 AM

Default Thinking of going LE to HD... Info Please

hey, I'm trying to set a goal to save my money towards and the HD1 system seems like a good idea for me since I love doing studio work(even if i don't make my money back). I'm running an Athlon 3700+ right now and i have decent preformace.. but new the end of sessions i start to lose power adn it makes me soo frustrated. I'm wondering if the difference between what i have now and getting an HD1 card set up will be very noticable. I'm not really talking about the amount of audio tracks at a time... becasue i knwo thats a big difference.. I'm talking about the ammount of plugins i can have running at one time @ 96/24... I would be nice to be able to run a nice compressor, and the EQ III on every trtack along with having 8 auxs with reverb, warming tubes, and compressor/limitors... I hope you can give me some info.. Thanks.

Jonny
Old 08-19-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Thinking of going LE to HD... Info Please

A single HD card is IMO poor value and doesn't do a lot DSP wise and comes with a poor plug in bundle. Unless you can go HD2 accel or above (much better value loads more DSP and lots more decent plug ins thrown in) I wouldn't bother.

I have a HD 2accel and brought a massive pack combined with a decent computer this gives you a good combo to do high quality mixes but I wish I could have got the extra together for a HD3 accel.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Thinking of going LE to HD... Info Please

Also...

TDM plugs more expensive, cabling (DB25 on rear of I/O), plus the required I/O. I HIGHLY recommend the 192 over the 96. Or, if one prefers Apogee and has the $$$, grab the new units with the X cards.

I agree on the last post...HD2 Accel or better. I use an HD4 Accel w/ 192 I/O + 8 Analog in and would love to have just one more Accel card. Dont feel like dealing with an expansion chassis tho...damn expensive hobby...

Although the current version of PT (6.9) does not have AMD processors officially supported (except for Opterons in certain configs? unsure...been awhile since I checked the compats), some have reported success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.