Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Re: HD Native now on Digi website

Will this card let me run DSP on tracks in record?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
Will this card let me run DSP on tracks in record?
no

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
I think this is the most bizarre invention of Avid i years. And why do they call it Native? They should call it PT HD Naive...
I think naive would be the people expecting a $500 version of Pro Tools with unlimited tracks, ADC, and connectivity with all the interfaces and control surfaces.

It all depends on what you use your setup for. I know plenty of people who do a lot of live tracking and need a lot of I/O and would still say a Logic solution isn't close to truly competitive with PTHD.

And I still believe new TDM cards are coming sooner than later.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Native my arse. Its protools hd and plugin native. What.
Hd un chained from a dsp card. WTF.
I say who cares.
Some will love it and have a need for it. But is pretty much the same thine packaged a little different and a couple of bells an whistles thrown in for a marketing wow factor. Wow.
Still waiting for a "true native" protools, not a shell game named native and then not think everyone doesnt realize its not. Is Avid working for someone in the U.S. capital building if not they should be.

True its a good looking piece of gear. However nothing that I wouldnt expect in the run of a companies regular new gear releases, and wow look at this its the best stuff.

However not "that" impressive.

We want a "REAL" Protools native. Not just native plugin capable HD rig in a new box. But I see not too much is changing with Avid. Should have done this 5 years ago, then it would be groundbreaking. It just look like shuffling at the corp headquarters to make up ground and sell sell sell. Ease the HD user into the water before we drop the bomb in the next year or to that our tdm stuff is antiquated and all the HD sales and discount programs were to clear the shelves of old hardware. Like no one seen that coming either. Come guys for real.

Shell games.
OO look its native, well not really, but its only 3500 dollars and you can use your own rtas if you have a really fast comp. Well hell thats the best deal I have ever ever seen and cant wait to run out and buy it.

Thanks Avid, its so much more than we ever expected and my life is better more complete, thank you , thank you thank you.

BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom View Post
And I still believe new TDM cards are coming sooner than later.
Believe it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Hmmm...very interesting - and tempting to a long-time LE user. Since it's $5995 retail with an Omni, I'm wondering what the discounted cost would be, and if there would be a trade-up/trade-in option for LE users since this is obviously targeted towards LE customers looking for a bridge to HD.

I'm also curious how the monitoring would work compared to TDM. I'm sure you could insert RTAS plugins during recording - it's just whether the low-latency monitoring would be post-plugin on this system and how much latency there would be.

I'm also now wondering how much the next generation of HD1 will cost and what it's feature set will be. Avid would HAVE to make it more powerful than HD Native - which means it would handle as many tracks, right? It wouldn't make sense to sell a brand new "HD1-Plus" Core card that wouldn't keep up with the $3500 HD Native.

I'm going to get some popcorn now...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that many users don't need 16 in and 16 out. You don't think you can get an IO box at that quality level for less than six grand?
It's called a Rosetta 200, 1200.00 used.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Re: HD Native now on Digi website

Quote:
Keep moving DIGi, now we're waiting for last and most important launch of the year. The new much more powerful PT HD cards!
This is HUGE. I can't wait to buy the OMNI and the Native Core card for my next project. Cheers to Avid for a tremendous step forward.

Want to know the even bigger news? There will be no new cards. Have you seen the specs of the newest Mac Pro's? PT9 will have higher track counts and larger I/O, but it will be native. I think TDM is over guys...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
No - the Eleven Rack is an LE interface. You need an HD interface - any of the new Omni, MADI or HD IO interfaces, or one of the 'older' 192, 96, 96i, etc. interfaces will work with the Native card.
Plus:

Lynx Auora
Rosetta series 200/800
AD/DA 16's

Lots of cheaper options

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post
@Crizdee -

Exactly! I've got TONS of money invested in TDM plugs and there are still many that I use on a daily basis that are still TDM only... SoundToys, Eventide, Revibe, etc. This native solution would not work for me at all.

@Dmazurek - Ok, yeah that makes sense but I don't know if that comparison really splits the difference between the bedroom jockeys and the pros with facilities. The guys who are using the Symphony gear are anti-protools, from those who I know.
Most of your plugins will run as RTAS.