Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2002, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective RTAS

Umm, you obviously haven't used beat detective before but I can't see how it could work as an RTAS plugin, it is strictly an offline process (ie. it edits regions).

Personally it's a LOT more than a 'recycle' clone, it truely is an incredible tool and saves SERIOUS amounts of work in tightening up the odd loose bar or three in a drum take (i'm talking about 10-15 track multitrack drum take here, not a few poxy loops).

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 10-29-2002, 01:54 PM

Well, if it cant be made an RTAS plugin then make it Direct Connect. I know another loop program Called ALKALI-loop laboratory (www.audio-genetics.com) uses Direct Connect, RTAS AND REX file loops in ProTools. But of course it's MAc only. Just make it happen before someone else does.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-29-2002, 11:37 PM

ummm....dude...RTAS means Real Time Audio Suite... as in Real Time.

Shan

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-30-2002, 12:36 AM

to attemp to clarify what marcus has said as simply as possible, Beat Detective is not a plug-in.

it does not work in real-time; it does not require DSP to operate; it is not audiosuite

think of it as an sophisticated quantizer.

and while we're on the topic, i'm a long time advocate of it's inclusion in PTLE, not to mention key command focus mode.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 AM

Default Beat Detective RTAS

I just attended the LE studio tour in Vancouver, Canada. I asked the Rep about the chance of Beat Detective being part of ProTools le. He said that there might be a chance of it being an RTAS plugin for le. I say bring it on Digi, I'd buy it for sure. It would make it easier than using Recycle(that could of been a Beat detective purchase instead of Recycle) and doing it manually. While they're at it, how about a 'Rewire to RTAS' plugin and 'VST to RTAS' plugin. At the moment I'm using an RME Digi96 sound card (using the Adat lightpipe) routed into the 001 along with a VST host program called Chainer (an incredible host program) and Hubis Loop back. With all this stuff I can route my VST soft synths, effects, Reason and anything else straight into le (my Mac friends use Refuse and Ugly VSTi) So you would figure a company like Digi would make RTAS plugins to handle this stuff and sell them as separate apps. So instead of us purchasing products from other companys, we could spend it on a Digi plugin. I would. Makes sense to me. But thats ok, for the price of a plugin, the above system works great for me and I can even use it on a separate computer(hmm, kind of like VST system link only I'm limited to 8 digital channels. 10 if I got SPDF going.) Well, thats my ranting and raving for today.

Bring on that Beat Detective RTAS plugin Digi!!! You've got my sale.

Shan

Old 10-30-2002, 01:28 AM

RTAS isn't reasonable by digi, AS is more logical as the current Beat Detective function on TDMs is more like AS.

Make it RTAS is stupid because it actualy takes up cpu for nothing and require a track just for it.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:42 AM

and simpler again...

beat detective cannot and will not work in real time. nor is it an audio suite plug-in. infact, it's not a plug-in at all.

it's not TDM, it's not RTAS and it's not AS. TDM, RTAS and AS have absolutely nothing to do with it. it is simply a feature not included in PTLE so don't think of it in terms of RTAS, think of it in terms of 'yet another omitted feature'.

click Windows>Show Strip Silence.

that's what beat detective is, where it fits and where it will show up if they decide to give it to PTLE.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:38 AM

Dear minimoog, the entire thread is regarding the implementation of Beat Detetive into LE versions.

Plugin is the only way to add bd into current PTLE versions!
Old 10-30-2002, 06:08 AM

Sorry as a former LE and TDM user had to step in here.

As Mr Moog has said, Beat Detective is not a plug, the statement 'plugin is the only way to add BD to current LE versions' is incorrect. Beat Detective is not in current versions, therefore to add BD a new version would have to be released.

Beatdetective can never function as a plugin, just not possible. I believe there is confusion as to what it does.

Basically it gives you two functions - firstly to allow you to generate a midi tempo map from an audio track. To do this you select a section of audio, analyse it, adjust the markets so that you have the transients identified, then generate the map.

This will insert a number of tempo changes in the tempo bar, therefore as the song plays the tempo will follow the audio. Using this you can make (for example) midi drums follow the timing of an audio groove.

The second way is the reverse. Similar process, but you separate the audio (normally at the transients) into regions, which you then conform to the current tempo map of the session. In order to patch any holes, you can then apply cross-fades to every gap, and you can specify the cross fade time.

This is a quick summary - it can do an awful lot, but these are the principles.

There is therefore no way this can be an audiosuite/rtas or even TDM plugin, plugins take a stream of audio and effect it, they cannot write midi tempo information, nor can they manipulate (move in the edit page) regions, or generate cross fades.

In the same way the key commands are not part of LE, and would need to be added using a patch to the code (a new release) - to add this functionality will need a new version.

Hope this helps

Pete
Old 10-30-2002, 08:40 AM

I guess you havn't used much Audiosuites rather on TDM system or LE [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Audiosuites API is good enough as it can do ANYTHING to regions. so the entire beat detective opreation can be ported by digi into Audiosuite based plugin in no time.

Check out, Pitch'n'Time and VocAlign both can change regions and actually "control" functions shows on the edit window as regions and much more.

I'm using now BD on TDM system at work.