Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Default Suitable Video Card for PT10 PC Build

Hi, I'm building a PC to run Pro Tools 10 on and want to know if anyone has any information on what video cards work with PT and which ones may not. My priority when getting a card is to get one with two DVI ports and one that works with Pro Tools.

This is the card I was thinking of:
EVGA 01G-P3-1441-KR GeForce GT 440 1024MB
Does anyone have any idea whether this card will work with PT10?

Filo, you mentioned earlier I might want a higher end card for other uses as well. Do you or anyone else have any specific recommendations for a card to get that's good with PT10?

Primary use for this PC will be Pro Tools 10, secondary will be Photoshop and Sony Vegas. I'm still waiting for the i7 3930k to come back in stock but until then I want to make sure I have everything else set so I can order everything together from newegg.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Suitable Video Card for PT10 PC Build

Avid has a list of "certified" PC's and Video Cards for Pro Tools 10. What they list are "commercial" NVIDIA cards, although I suspect many are using other NVIDIA and AMD/Radeon Video cards.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Yes, I've seen that webpage and it seems to be pretty little help, as the cards are all outdated. I just came across this post in gearslutz (which apparently you were a part of too) that seems to suggest ATI should also be okay but there is no real guarantee what card will work and what won't. I tried looking up on newegg the video card you said you're using but it is currently "deactivated".

Is anyone successfully using PT10 on a PC that they've bought or built recently? If so, what graphics card are you using?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 AM

The ATI HD4850 that I have has been discontinued. I have a 30 day version of PT10 and it is working OK. I have PT MP9 full version and it too works without problems with the HD4850.

I have a newer NVIDIA card, a GTS450 OC which has 1GB of memory, compared to 512MB on the HD4850 but I get a slightly lower Windows Experience video score with the GTS450 so I reinstalled the HD 4850.

I agree that what is on the Avid site as "certified" is outdated. They obviously have not updated it for quite a while, both the PC's and Video Cards.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Any nvidia or ati will work fine. Hell a $29 Geforce 8400 card will work great. Just find one thats quiet and most of the 8400's dont utilize fans anymore. You dont need a gaming card that has an air conditioning unit on top of it. An ancient Geforce 256 from 1999 would work :)
Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM

I use an ati 5770. It works very well with pro tools. Better then a slow video card. The only issue is QT video will not scrub. it just sits on a frame while scrubbing audio. Not a big deal for me as I use a video satellite.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Cool, thank you for the replies. I will probably stick with the one I was planning on then, since it has the two DVI ports and is relatively cheap. I was just worried because I had heard some people saying that pro tools could be finicky about video cards.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 PM

I've posted my own thread about this issue but haven't gotten a reply yet... Im about to build my PC and I was thinking about the NVidia GTX 580. From what i've read it's better than the quadros and well worth it. Are the 5 measly graphics cards listed really the only ones compatible?