Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/

About Les Paul (I'd say he's major) in this month's issue of Mix magazine:

Although Paul has a Tascam MX-2424 SE digital recording system, Cathcart brought a G4 laptop with Pro Tools, connected via a Digi 002 Pro Tools interface and patched into Paul's API board for monitoring. Paul took advantage of the opportunity to try all the latest gizmos (including a Line 6 Vetta II digital modeling amplifier), though none seemed to surprise him. “Every time we'd show him something, he'd look at it for a while and say, ‘I invented that!’” says Cutarella.

full article: http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_les/

Ben
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.
ARRANGED in PT LE with the Mbox being used as the dongle to open up the sessions on the computer MIXED on an SSL board. Big difference.

All carefully worded by the Digi marketing team.

I tracked, edited and arranged a whole rock album on the 001 with 2 Top Forty hits from it. But it was all mixed on an SSL board. Again, BIG difference.

Shane
The Digizine quote is taken out of context. The full quote is (pasted directly from the article (my emphasis):

"Although they rely on several Pro Tools rigs in the studio, the Black Eyed Peas recorded several of the tracks for their latest record while touring . "I've got an Mbox, and it's the same thing for me as a regular Pro Tools rig when I'm on the road ," says Will. "There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox.""

It's clear that he just used the M-Box to track stuff on the bus, or whatever, and of course later mix it on a big ticket console.

I do also believe that Nelly's first major release was tracked on a 001 and mixed at Sound On Sound, IIRC.
Peace
Old 09-20-2005, 06:25 PM

I heard Jonny Lang did Lie to ME with tools.....

All you need is a bag and a sleepin bag mat

Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
"There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.
ARRANGED in PT LE with the Mbox being used as the dongle to open up the sessions on the computer MIXED on an SSL board. Big difference.

All carefully worded by the Digi marketing team.

I tracked, edited and arranged a whole rock album on the 001 with 2 Top Forty hits from it. But it was all mixed on an SSL board. Again, BIG difference.

Shane
Interestingly, two engineers in Taiwan went ballistic and competed an album for a well known pop artiste entirely in 002R. And that went on to the top of the charts. Well, what is their secret? Preamps that costs three times the price of 002, plug in bundle that have the same value as a HD|3, microphones that be used as downpayment for a sports car.... all done on an 002R? Not to mention hooked up to a Control 24 for mixing... it was crazy, but they did it.

Laughs....
Old 09-24-2005, 05:00 AM

Not a major CD but I recorded VO, created sound design and mixed (for theatre) the very successfull movie "Super Size Me" at my home studio on a 002 and PTLE 6.4. That's how it was shown at Sundance 2004. We then took the stereo mix to Sound One NY where we had a chance to listen to the mix on a dubbing stage, made a couple of minor changes, encoded the mix to Dolby Pro-Logic surround and created the film's printmaster.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:03 AM

To me it doesnt matter if any records have been recorded in LE. What matters to me is the fact that you can achive the same sound quality with outboard gear. The main thing is the room and mics you use, along with good technique. And a talented mixer!! It can be done. But we don't see many(or any) major label albums recorded/mixed in LE because if you are at that level in your carrear as an artist or recording engineer chances are you have the means to use HD and you might as well use that. I wouldn't doubt many indie artists are recording and mixing in LE, as some people here have said.

Joz