Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Re: -9173 Error HELP

I think an important or at least supicious point is that those CPU spikes followed by those -9173 errors are happening out of nowhere, not while heavy system usage. CPU can be somewhere around 1-2% while playing back a tiny session, an then suddenly it peaks (like on the screenshots).
Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM

Plug-ins can cause issues, even when deactivated. Be sure to move them out of the plug-ins folder when testing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Hi everyone,

since a few weeks I am experiencing a lot of -9173 errors on different systems.
It makes the affected systems very unreliable and I really don't know what to do anymore to fix it.
What audio interface are you using?
What video cards does each system have and how much VRAM does each have?

And, like others have said, have you tried testing after removing every single plugin from your Plugins folder?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 PM

I was suffering a lot from AAE 9173. Also Pro Tools 2018.1 was frustratingly less responsive. Both of these are not happening for almost a month after I took few steps as described below. I tried 3 different fixings one after another. So I'm not sure which fixing particularly worked for my problems (or may be three of them contributed together). Hope these fixes help.
Fix#1:Click 'Windows logo' at the left bottom. Click 'this PC'. Click System drive. Open 'Program Files' folder. Open 'Avid' folder. Open 'Pro Tools' folder. Scrawl down to see 'Pro Tools' Icon. Right click it. Click 'Properties' tab. Click 'Compatibility' tab. In the 'Compatibility Mode' area, uncheck the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8'. Leave this blank. Also in 'Application' area, check 'Run this program as an administrator'. Hit 'Apply' and 'OK'. Restart the PC.
Fix#2:Type control in the search box from 'Start'. Then click 'Control Panel' from the result. Write 'File' in the search box on the top right of the 'Control Panel' window. Then click 'File Explorer Options' from the result. Click 'Clear' to clear 'File Explorer history'. Then click 'Apply' and 'OK'.
Fix#3:Go to 'C' drive. Click 'Users'. Click 'user's name'. Right click 'Desktop' and click 'Properties. Click 'Location' tab. Click 'Restore Default' tab, hit 'Apply', hit 'OK'.
In addition to these, please trash Pro Tools preferences and database.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midimusic View Post
I was suffering a lot from AAE 9173. Also Pro Tools 2018.1 was frustratingly less responsive. Both of these are not happening for almost a month after I took few steps as described below. I tried 3 different fixings one after another. So I'm not sure which fixing particularly worked for my problems (or may be three of them contributed together). Hope these fixes help.
Fix#1:Click 'Windows logo' at the left bottom. Click 'this PC'. Click System drive. Open 'Program Files' folder. Open 'Avid' folder. Open 'Pro Tools' folder. Scrawl down to see 'Pro Tools' Icon. Right click it. Click 'Properties' tab. Click 'Compatibility' tab. In the 'Compatibility Mode' area, uncheck the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8'. Leave this blank. Also in 'Application' area, check 'Run this program as an administrator'. Hit 'Apply' and 'OK'. Restart the PC.
Fix#2:Type control in the search box from 'Start'. Then click 'Control Panel' from the result. Write 'File' in the search box on the top right of the 'Control Panel' window. Then click 'File Explorer Options' from the result. Click 'Clear' to clear 'File Explorer history'. Then click 'Apply' and 'OK'.
Fix#3:Go to 'C' drive. Click 'Users'. Click 'user's name'. Right click 'Desktop' and click 'Properties. Click 'Location' tab. Click 'Restore Default' tab, hit 'Apply', hit 'OK'.
In addition to these, please trash Pro Tools preferences and database.

and how will that help the person who made the topic on their two MACS?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 AM

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2014 and had all these terrible problems.

But after I installed Turbo Boost Switcher I can work normally.
Check it out! I installed it and on the menu you can then choose to turn Turbo Boost off. When I do that: no more problems!

https://www.rugarciap.com/turbo-boos...cher-for-os-x/

Persen
UAD Apollo 8p + Twin Solo + Octo Satellite
Old 03-27-2018, 03:26 AM

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the hints and tips. I needed a few days to try everything out. Sadly, nothing helped.

I deleted all plugins from Plug-Ins folder. I tried the Turbo Boost Switcher. I tried different Interfaces. Currently the iMac runs with only Pro Tools, Avid Application Manager and iLok manager on it (besides Apple standard stuff). Using CoreAudio with the built in speakers.
Still getting CPU spikes with -9173 Error following.

Graphics iMac: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1 GB
Graphics MacBook Pro: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB / Intel Iris Pro 1536MB
(everything original stock)

Any more ideas?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Hi everyone,

since a few weeks I am experiencing a lot of -9173 errors on different systems.
It makes the affected systems very unreliable and I really don't know what to do anymore to fix it.

The error appears out of nowhere. CPU usage can be around 1-2 %, and then suddenly it peakes to 100%, followed by the error. Sometimes it doesn't happen for an hour, but after the error appears for the first time, it happens every few seconds of playback time. Only a restart fixes it (for the next few minutes, maybe hours if I'm lucky).

I did some screenshots. This is how the cpu usage looks just before the error, normal playback (1), when the audio playback interrupts (2), and shortly after the error appears (3). Those screenshots are taken within the same two or three seconds.

I already did some digging and cross-checking:
- It happens on an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012, 3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OWC SSD) and on a MacBook Pro (Mid 2014, 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, Original SSD). I did not see -9173 on a Mac Pro 5.1 with HDX or a MacBook Air Early 14 with the same sessions so far.
- It happens on macOS 10.13.2 and on macOS 10.12
- It happens on Pro Tools 12.8.3, on 2018.1 and on 2018.3
- It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Plugins. It doesn't change if I deactivate any or all Plugins in a session or if I delete them from the Plugins folder.
- It doesn't seem to correlate with track number or general system usage
- I tried a clean reinstall of MacOS and Pro Tools, no Plugins and no other Software
- I replaced Memory and SSD in the iMac, didn't get better
- It happens wether I am working on an external SSD or the internal system drive

Anyone? Any idea is much appreciated. Thank you so much.
This is over load of the cpu i get it all the time the worst is when I'm mixing !!!
Solution i go into the file find the (WaveCache.wfm) delete it don't worry when you re-open the session it will return so you have to delete it before working every time
Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 AM

Solution go in sessions file delete 'WaveCache.wfm' this will have to be done at the beginning of the session every time as it comes back at opening of session this is the only thing that works for me pro tools 12.8 high sierra
Old 03-28-2018, 09:02 PM

one day so far ...
but helps
https://www.rugarciap.com/turbo-boos...cher-for-os-x/
thx for the heads Up !!!

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]