Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Default DAW Won't Work in Mackie or HUI Mode After Restart

I'm new to my Avid Artist Mix and using it in Windows 10. I've been running into an issue where I'll setup the Artist Mix with Mackie Control mode (or HUI) in Studio One and everything will work great until I restart or shut down Windows.

After each and every startup of the OS, the Artist Mix fails to connect to Studio One. Every single time I launch Windows, I need to go into Control Panel -> EUCON, then delete Studio One and add it again before the two will work together again. Note: when I use Cubase via EUCON, the Artist Mix remains connected after restarts so this doesn't appear to be an IP address thing, or at least, the issues would be specific to Mackie Control and HUI.

Any suggestions? I don't expect it's intended that I'd have to reset the EUCON app in the Control Panel following each startup.

Everything should be up to date. I'm currently running EU Control 3.7.0.134 and Artist Mix firmware is 1.5.40 and the Eucon Client Monitoring Software is at 4.0.3.12908783.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Re: DAW Won't Work in Mackie or HUI Mode After Restart

No takers so far...are there any generic troubleshooting steps I should try? I did setup a static IP address to see if that would help but no change.

So far, the only way to make it connect in Mackie mode after restarting Windows is to...

1. Wait for Windows to load
2. Turn on the Avid Artist Mix
3. Go to the EUCON app in the Control Panel
4. Under Application Name, click on Studio One and change it from Makie to HUI, hit apply
5. Change it back from HUI to Mackie Control and hit Apply
6. Exit EUCON
7. Launch Studio One
Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Avid

I'm not sure what could be happening, I asked my QA guys to check and just make sure it work OK.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I'm not sure what could be happening, I asked my QA guys to check and just make sure it work OK.
Hi Eddie, just curious if QA was able to test this and get back to you yet? If there's anything I can or should be doing to help troubleshoot, let me know.

Now that I've got a procedure for getting it to work, it's more of a minor annoyance than anything else, but I'd like to be able to get it working as expected and avoid the extra steps.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Avid

I'm in our Studio Monday so will look at this with them.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I'm in our Studio Monday so will look at this with them.
Hi Eddie,

Just wanted to follow up. I just downloaded the newest version of the Eucon software (18.3) and still no change in this behavior. Every time I restart Windows 10, I need to do one of these "manual resets" for the Artist Mix to connect to Studio One. After that, it's fine until I shut down Windows 10.

In Studio One, I've got the Artist Mix connected as a Mackie Controller via EuMIDI port 1. And it's setup in Mackie Control mode via EuMIDI 1-4 in the EUCON Control Panel app in Windows.

So to reproduce:

1. Start Windows 10
2. Turn on the Avid Artist Mix
3. Launch Studio One 3.5.6 (x64)
4. Open a project

Result: Artist Mix not seeing the channels in Studio One. Completely unresponsive. Note: if I "Restart All EUCON applications" [from the Windows taskbar icon] at this point there's no change. So...

5. Exit Studio One
6. Go to the Windows Control Panel
7. Launch the EUCON application
8. Set the Artist Mix from "Mackie Control" to "HUI" mode
9. Click Apply
10. Set the Artist Mix from "HUI" back to Mack Control"
11. Click Apply

12. Restart Studio One
13. Load a project

Result: Everything now works as expected.

14. Shut down and restart Windows
15. Launch Studio One
16. Load a project

Result: Artist Mix no longer being seen by Studio One. Repeat steps 5-13 above to resolve.

Eucon DAW's work fine. It's just the Mackie and Hui modes that give me trouble and only after restarting Windows. If I exit and relaunch Studio One in the same Windows session at any point after step 11 above, it will continue to work as expected. It's like the EUCON Control Panel app is forgetting to turn on whatever protocol it uses to talk the DAW until I do this manual type of reset.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Avid

Thanks for the details...I found the issue. This file is supposed to autorun if you are using Mackie Control and isn't. "C:\Program Files\Euphonix\EuCon\EuConStart.exe"

To add it to Startup do this. Press the Windows Key and R. Type in shell:startup Drag the EuConStart.exe file into this folder whilst holding down Alt. This will create a shortcut to autostart it.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the details...I found the issue. This file is supposed to autorun if you are using Mackie Control and isn't. "C:\Program Files\Euphonix\EuCon\EuConStart.exe"

To add it to Startup do this. Press the Windows Key and R. Type in shell:startup Drag the EuConStart.exe file into this folder whilst holding down Alt. This will create a shortcut to autostart it.
Thanks so much Eddie, that worked! Not sure if the issue was specific to something in my setup or something more global, but if the latter, hopefully you can address the root cause in a subsequent update so others don't run into it. Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Avid

Yes its the new installer issue and will get fixed in the next release.

For anyone else reading this, I discovered that the MIDI driver files dont get installed on a new install, they do if you upgrade from 3.7. If you have this issue you would get a MIDIinstaller is not found error when trying to add a HUI/Mackie App to the EUCON Control Panel in Windows. To fix, install EUCONWS first then EuControl.