Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Default GUI issues and DEP Access Violation errors

First I'd like to say that these issues have happened with several editions of PT 12 on two different machines. I contacted customer service but they always tell me to 'optimize' and 'reinstall' (tried both and trashing prefs manually and with Trasher) and then close the ticket. These issues also happen on mac too so it doesn't seem like it has to do with the version of windows.

The most annoying issue is that, rather randomly, if I am dragging a clip on the time line I will get an error with DEP access violation every time I try to drag the clip (but not if I nudge it). Clips will also then start going 'invisible' until I move them.

My guess for the DEP violation is that it may be a bug Avid hasn't fixed that is associated with the newest generations of intel processors, certain motherboards, or ram. Software DEP is already off and I don't want to turn off hardware DEP and expose my computer.

The other issue, that just started happening, is that when I open a project the window appears scaled down and only takes up part of the screen, the mix and edit windows are shrunk and when I expand them again and save and close they are again shrunk on reopening. The text for the drop down menus is also cut off towards the ends.

Has anyone had these issues and found a way around them? Avid support has been incredibly slow and sends one line responses.

TLDR: DEP access violation popups randomly when dragging clips, Gui scaling issues when opening projects. Happens on Windows 10 and iOS.

Attempted fixes: reinstalling, installing older iterations, trashing preferences, running Trasher
Old 02-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Re: GUI issues and DEP Access Violation errors

I run and test lots of different processors including the newest available. I have not seen anything like this period. We would need system details to give some ideas of what to look at.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 PM

I have a desktop with an AMD FX-8320, ASUS M5A78L Mobo, 18gb RAM, and a Gtx 670 (not sure if relevant).

The other computer is a Helios 300 laptop with an i7-7700HQ, 16gb RAM, and a Gtx 1060.

From what I've googled this issue seems to happen across computers including iOs machines.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 PM

If you have some recent DEP problems you found, post some links. I have not seen a legit DEP Problem since PT 8-9 somewhere with Vista.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-02-2018, 02:57 AM

You sorted? I was having this problem, going back to 12.8.1 or up to 2018.1 sorted it. There were definite DEP violations happening on some Windows systems on 12.8.2. I've seen it on a Dell running Windows 7 Pro and an HP running Windows 10 Pro with 12.8.2 that were both utterly trouble free on 12.8.1. Avid tangentially mentioned it in later release notes.

All in thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395249

Pete
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
You sorted? I was having this problem, going back to 12.8.1 or up to 2018.1 sorted it. There were definite DEP violations happening on some Windows systems on 12.8.2. I've seen it on a Dell running Windows 7 Pro and an HP running Windows 10 Pro with 12.8.2 that were both utterly trouble free on 12.8.1. Avid tangentially mentioned it in later release notes.

All in thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395249

Pete
Its so strange how these problems can be so intermittent between different systems. Hopefully 2018.1 solved it for everyone experiencing it!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Yup, keeps people like you and me busy and on our toes!

I’m sure there are some issues but generally 2018.1 seems to be a good release judging from people I talk to.

Pete
Old 03-22-2018, 10:29 AM

I'm still having this issue, with bot 12.8.1 and 12.8.2 and I can't get 2018.1 because, despite paying for a working program, I have to pay to have support and a version that works.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Avid is one of the few companies where you have to pay for support (which was poor even with the support plan). I ended up buying Reaper because of all the trouble.

Avid support would continuously close tickets without warning. I once had a ticket close (after it took avid weeks to respond) after simply asking if this was a common issue with windows 10 or if it appeared on other OS's (which it does). The ticket was closed because the problem was marked as an OS issue.

This is a major bug that should have been fixed immediately. It greatly slows down workflow. I even had an issue today where I minimized PT and upon trying to open only got the DEP access violation box in a loop leaving me unable to save my project.

This experience has completely changed my view on Avid and Protools.

Why is PT so expensive when Reaper has ambisonic and surround capabilities for much less at the base version? I have never had a crash with Reaper or any other issues. Protools crashes regularly and randomly on any machine.

Sorry about the salty rant, I hate wasting money.