Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 12-17-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Fasttrack Pro USB, El Capitan working!

I hear everyones frustration. I spent the last few hours going over all the steps and ideas terminal commands and others.

Here is what got my FT USB working with El Cap 10.11.2: I simply deleted both the drivers I had installed, 1.9.4 and 1.9.5. One was in one location and the other was in a folder called Software which I could not find.

I am on a mid 2010 Mac Pro quad-core.

How I did this was first menu About this Mac>System Report>Extensions. At this point I saw nothing in there, but it took about a minute for these to show up, at least for me. If they don't all show up which also happen to me, go to File>Refresh Information.

I then found the two drivers. You will see something that says Location in the description. Highlight and copy that url. Then from the finder Menu, Go>Go To Folder...>then paste that url. Click OK. Window appears with that driver. Move to trash, but will ask for Admin password.

I repeated this with the second driver that was installed. I then deleted the System PreferencePane of the M-Audio fasttrack pro using method described above.

I then restarted computer. Went into System Preferences>Sound, and just like magic, my Fasttrack was listed in both the input and output and as I write this I am listening to Art Pepper.

Whether or not this remains stable is a whole other thing. It is odd that it works without any driver. As others have pointed out, you no longer have access to M-Audio prefs, but at least I am able to get music from my nice powered speaker system.

Hop this helps.

Jonathan
Old 12-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Fasttrack Pro USB, El Capitan working!

Thank you for the info. I tried the same thing with my Mbox 3 Mini on a Macbook Air. My system now recognizes the Mbox, and I am able to play audio through it. I am also able to use it to record and playback in Garageband.

Pro Tools is a different story. I am on version 11.3.1. PT recognizes the Mbox and allows me to select it as a hardware interface, but I am not able to open any of my saved sessions. When I go to open a session, I get an error message that says: "The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 kHz" I get the same error for 44.1 kHz.

I am also not able to create a new session. I get this error message when I try to do that: "Could not create a new document because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/151228/ProTools/DFW/MacBuild/../Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm", line 1549."
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 AM

I did not see anything like this when I tried - "I then found the two drivers. You will see something that says Location in the description. Highlight and copy that url. Then from the finder Menu, Go>Go To Folder...>then paste that url."
I did this and found a very long list of Extension in a scrollable panel. 99% are Apple extensions. There are only a few third-party extension sets - HP Printer and PACE support. I am surprised not to see my MBox listed there even though it shows up under System Preferences which verifies that it is installed. Basically I don't see any I/O Box drivers to throw away.
Disclosure - my computer is only two weeks old (rMPB Pro) so the only audio driver I manually installed is latest MBox3 driver.

What, exactly did you toss?

Last edited by Ormond; 12-17-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM

This is where I found one of mine.

/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxMini.kext

I no longer have the location for the other file or the preferences saved in my history. Everything was listed under Avid. When you find it under the Extensions and Preference Panes menus, click on the file, and that is where you will see the location.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:14 PM

Yes, the MBox .kext file is in my library/extensions and xbox prefPane is where you said it would be as well - are you saying I should put both n the trash and then try to run my MBox?
Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 PM

I did what the OP said. I moved all the files to the Trash, then emptied it and restarted my Mac.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:30 PM

I followed the instructions and did a restart. It does not work for me. MBox3 blue light still flashing and MBox not selectable as an audio device - it does not even show - though it does as a Midi input device and has ever since I installed the current driver.

Oh well - - - back to thinking about the UA Apollo Duo.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 AM

The reason I had two drivers is I had been using 1.9.4, but found that there was a 1.9.5 so I installed that thinking that that would make things work with El C. I then uninstalled both. There may be many more files from the driver install that I did not bother looking for, but in my case removing the driver and preference panel seemed to work.

Hopefully some updates soon, and that those updates will includes something that completely removes the old and then installs the new so there aren't problems.

Jonathan
Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 AM

After dealing with buzzing, clicking, and very crappy audio for the last six hours, I've thrown in the towel and ordered a Focusrite 2I2. When I get that set and if things seem to work, I'll be putting the Fat Track pro on ebay for 5 dollars.

Focusrite seems to be pretty reputable according to reviews I've read.

See you all later, and good luck.

Jonathan
Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 PM

Just curious, I read that the Fast Track Pro was (UNTESTED) for Pro Tools 12, when I make my Fast Track Pro the main interface the audio will come out from my headset which is a good thing....but then i can't get my Blue Baby Bottle Mic (Connected to the Fast Track Pro) won't respond and i can't arm any tracks because of the input error....is this because the fast track pro isn't compatible yet??? should i just go get something that is compatible like Fast Track SOLO???? I'm asking because for the longest I've used the fast track pro with my Pro Tools SE & have never had any issues until i went from the old OS X to El Captain...thats when all my problems occurred.