Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-21-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Paz analyzer

I use the paz analyzer on the master fader to determine what needs to come up,However when I get them all balanced across the spectrum on the analyzer it sounds thin(lacks low end)on the mastered cd of the track.When I get it sounding good to my ears it shows the low end up a lot higher than the other frequncies.Is the paz analyzer not a very good plug in or do I have it set wrong?Any help is greatly apreciated.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Paz analyzer

As you've noticed, that's not the way to use PAZ. It's a fine plugin, and you probably don't have it set up wrong.

There's no reason to expect all the frequencies to be at the same level in your mix. Suggestion: take a commercial CD, with a mix/balance you like, in the genre you're doing, and import it into ProTools. Look at it with PAZ. You'll see (I'd bet) that it's not flat.

Trust your ears, and learn your monitors. PAZ might be useful, but only to better understand what you hear.

Quote:
I use the paz analyzer on the master fader to determine what needs to come up,However when I get them all balanced across the spectrum on the analyzer it sounds thin(lacks low end)on the mastered cd of the track.When I get it sounding good to my ears it shows the low end up a lot higher than the other frequncies.Is the paz analyzer not a very good plug in or do I have it set wrong?Any help is greatly apreciated.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:21 PM

Cool thanks tele my impression was that it was supposed to be flat.Now I will try to remix the song and see what happens.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:51 PM

Your ears are much more complex than whatever meter you use....if you could make a mix using only some meters and analyzers, a computer could come up with a better mix.

IMHO meters are just a tool to get a visual representations of what we hear, I wouldn't use it the other way around!
Old 02-22-2004, 01:17 AM

Use your ears. Meters look nice and all, and some must be checked (not clipping and correlation), but for the most part its a simple matter of mixing and twidling and tweaking. And the fun part is that when it sounds nice to your ears, and the levels are in the green, and the correlation stays to the right then its OK. No matter what weird things you did in your mix. If it sounds good it is good...But to be able to determine that you need to know how your rig sounds, and you need to use monitors that reveal enough.

Bastiaan
Old 02-22-2004, 08:04 AM

I'm with Tele...

I tried to make my mix flat using the PAZ and like you found out that it didn't sound good. I threw some commercial tunes that I liked an noticed that almost all of them had a bump in the low end, around 62. Of course there were other variances, but this one seemed to re-occur everytime.

So i try to use the PAZ as a reference and go with my ears first. Also, I bounce to disc and listen to it in my car and at work.
Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz
ATI Firepro V3700 (PCIe)
Corsair Dominator 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-22-2004, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Use your ears. Meters look nice and all, and some must be checked (not clipping and correlation), but for the most part its a simple matter of mixing and twidling and tweaking. And the fun part is that when it sounds nice to your ears, and the levels are in the green, and the correlation stays to the right then its OK. No matter what weird things you did in your mix. If it sounds good it is good...But to be able to determine that you need to know how your rig sounds, and you need to use monitors that reveal enough.
What do you mean when you say correlation stays to the right?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:50 PM

the BF correlation meter. That has a "zero" in the middle, and can swing to the left and the right. The right means that phase-coherency is ok, to the left of zero means that you have same phase-shifting/reversing going on. If you have a true stereophonic recording that will tend to do stuff like that, but if you have a normal mix it usualy means that something is in reverse phase.

Bastiaan
Old 02-22-2004, 09:01 PM

While I do agree that ears come first and last, PAZ is an exceptional tool, and is invaluable if you know how to use it right.

What you've described would indicate that the bass is peaking hard but doesn't have enough sustain. When you drive it higher you're raising the RMS levels to where they should be, but then you're peaking too high. Chances are it's a matter of compression adjustments - shorter attack time will attenuate peaks and shorter release time boosts RMS levels.

Compare the peak and rms responses of PAZ where there are no prominent instruments or lead vocals, the peak response should be relatively flat, but the RMS response should be a sloped straight line, high on bass, lower for treble. But PAZ is just a guide. Just because your mix isn't right in the meter doesn't mean it's worth making changes to achieve those results, only that it's something to consider. However, PAZ is perfect for helping gauge multiband compression attack/release times based on the peak and RMS frequency responses. If at first you trust PAZ when adjusting those parameters, you will learn their importance much faster than mixing blind. Same goes for many aspects of mixing, but those much moreso than most.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:57 PM

What exactly do the numbers here mean, with respect to the Bomb Factory Phase Correlation Tool? 1.0 to -1.0 -- my first guess was radians that the signals were out of phase with each other but that's not right.

So if you were micing a drum kit, could you use this tool as "second" opinion for phase relationships between two tracks? (obviously your ears are the first choice here and depending on what you're going for, can overrule #2 -- if you WANT that comb-filtery sound for example)

Curious!

Thanks,
Dan