Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-05-2003, 11:22 AM

Default 002 Headphone Jack broken

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has experienced a malfunctioning headphone jack on there Digi 002. For some reason I can only hear through the right channel through my headphones.

Is there a home fix, or something I can do at home to test for the problem??

Also, Could i have inadvertently turned the left channel off through the digi?

Just wondering before I call digi tech support. I really don't want to send it in for a repair.

Thanks,
Cyrus
Old 02-05-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Re: 002 Headphone Jack broken

Try another pair of headphones to cross check
Old 02-05-2003, 05:55 PM

First- Is the jack going into the headphone input loose or does the jack click into place? If it's loose one of the metal tabs on the input is bent up to much and you'll have to send it to digidesign to get it fixed . Or you can go in there your self and fix it very easily yourself ,although that will probably void your warrenty. If you want to tackle the problem your self open the thing up to get to the circuit board the input jack is on ,take a very small flathead scrwedriver and make sure all 3 metal tabs are bent inwards ,you'll see what I mean if you do this. But as said above ,make suse your headphones are cool first before you come to any conclusions. If you need any more help ,let me know.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:05 PM

hey, thanks for the advice. yeah, i checked the headphone input and it seems to click into place just fine. However, I noticed that if i wobble the headphone jack just right I can sometimes get the left channel working for a sec. i would open it myself but i definitely don't want to void my warrenty.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjamman View Post
hey, thanks for the advice. yeah, i checked the headphone input and it seems to click into place just fine. However, I noticed that if i wobble the headphone jack just right I can sometimes get the left channel working for a sec. i would open it myself but i definitely don't want to void my warrenty.
It is REALLY hard to access the headphone jack on your 002 from the inside. It can be done, but it requires removing about 25 screws and disconnecting some molex connectors to remove a panel in your way.

Here is the trick - only remove the back panel - not the top or sides. That will get you to where you need to be. Then remove the first aluminum panel and disconnect the molex connectors so you can completely remove it.

If you look with a flashlight you will find the loose headphone jack that has fallen inside the unit. It will be behind the AC jack and the on/off switch, it is really buried in there. I tried for an hour to feed it back through the hole and replace the hex-nut that holds it in place - it just wasn't possible, the chassis is too thick for the nut to hold it. It seems when they install it they put a dab of glue close to the threads and then screw it in and let it dry - this glue makes it un-reusable.

Mine was built in 2002, so I assume I have no warrantee and the repair job would be a true ordeal, so I plan to fix it myself.

I plan to go to Radio Shack, get a new 1/4-inch female stereo recepticle, attach wires to it before I install it (there is no way you can get close enough to the actual jack to solder the wires after it is installed) and then I will splice the existing wires to the new jack with solder and shrinkwrap.

By the way - the wires leading to the headphone jack are bundled with the wires for the power jack and switch with a quicktie- I snipped this off. Why would you want your headphone wires bundled up with AC wires anyway?

I am only posting this because I found no information with my own searches about how to do this repair yourself.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Ok I did a bad thing (kinda following the "cut the cable tie to those wires that are together unneccesarily!" suggestion): I unhooked the AC power and the on/off switch, but I couldn't see 100% which wire went where...now it's all undone, and I don't know which one goes where :((

there are:

1 short 2-ended blue wire (loose)
1 short 2-ended orange wire (loose)
2 long wires; one blue one orange (not loose, but connected deep into the board, guessing it's the AC main)
1 green ground wire (loose, i know where this one goes: bottom connector of AC power unit, other end to the metal back case)

Here are the head on views:

on/off switch

[--] [--]
[--] [--]

AC POWER UNIT

[--] [--]
[--] <-- this is where I think the ground goes

wires:
]----------------[ loose; blue
]----------------[ loose; orange
]-----------------------------------------------...main; blue
]-----------------------------------------------...main; orange
]----------------------o...green; ground

ANY help is greatly appreciated as to fixing my overzealous screwup :(

Thanks in advance!!

bobbyz
Old 11-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Ok I did a bad thing (kinda following the "cut the cable tie to those wires that are together unneccesarily!" suggestion): I unhooked the AC power and the on/off switch, but I couldn't see 100% which wire went where...now it's all undone, and I don't know which one goes where :((

there are:

1 short 2-ended blue wire (loose)
1 short 2-ended orange wire (loose)
2 long wires; one blue one orange (not loose, but connected deep into the board, guessing it's the AC main)
1 green ground wire (loose, i know where this one goes: bottom connector of AC power unit, other end to the metal back case)

Here are the head on views:

on/off switch

[--] [--]
[--] [--]

AC POWER UNIT

[--] [--]
[--] <-- this is where I think the ground goes

wires:
]----------------[ loose; blue
]----------------[ loose; orange
]-----------------------------------------------...main; blue
]-----------------------------------------------...main; orange
]----------------------o...green; ground

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Delt...s/03GEEG3E.JPG
(notice the 3 terminals on the bottom)
Here were my cr@ppy pictures:
http://www.bobbyz.com/random/002---1.jpg
http://www.bobbyz.com/random/002---2.jpg
http://www.bobbyz.com/random/002---3.jpg

ANY help is greatly appreciated as to fixing my overzealous screwup :(

Thanks in advance!!

bobbyz
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM

On an AC jack the only connection that really counts is ground, and obviously that is the the single odd-shaped one. Anyway - you are lucky that I took a pic and I can see that from looking down on an open chassis (bottom taken off - face of unit on floor) the wires go brown, green and blue - left to right, on my unit. The light green one appears to be ground and is in the middle (a standard AC color code anyway). AC is alternating current and there is no "phase," so it doesn't really matter

As for the on/off switch 0 is off, 1 is on. I don't know which wires go where but that should help. I think blue is on (left side) and brown is off (right side) as far as I can see (unit in same position).
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Does anyone know the orientation of J24 - the molex connector that connects the headphone jack to the circuit board? If you have the unit face down, back plate away from you, bottom plate taken off to access circuitry - which way is the black ground wire, towards you or away?

There is also a little > sign near the molex pins on the circuit board - does that signify ground goes to that pin, or not?

Any help out there?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Yo you may want to just take it to a authorized repair shop in your area, they charged me $10.00 to repair mine