Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Default 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working

Anybody else getting this? Sometimes I launch PT and open a session and HEAT is not available anymore. No option to set it on, it just disappeared. If heat was used on the session I’m opening I get an error message saying something like the original session includes heat but my software doesn’t have it. Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it. Am I the only one experiencing this?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Default Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working

I haven’t experienced this, especially as you said “Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it.”

I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.

Interested to know if this fixes your issue.

My issue was different – I couldn’t see HEAT (on a separate iLok) in 2019.6 "vanilla" at all, until I did the iLok License Manager steps mentioned above.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Hey mate,

Sorry for butting in here.....

How are you liking HEAT? I watched a couple of vids Dave Hill put out there and listening through both my studio monitors and a fairly decent set of headphones. Sounded pretty appealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
I haven’t experienced this, especially as you said “Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it.”

I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.

My issue was different – I couldn’t see HEAT (on a separate iLok) in 2019.6 "vanilla" at all, until I did the iLok License Manager steps mentioned above.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
...How are you liking HEAT? I watched a couple of vids Dave Hill put out there and listening through both my studio monitors and a fairly decent set of headphones. Sounded pretty appealing to me.
Love it!
I saw these tips'n views:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
HEAT sounds appropriately subtle when you drop the level of each track down to -20dBFS=0VU or lower with clip-gain and then mix with it on. It doesn't sound good when hitting it any higher than that or after the fact on a mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Clip-gain gives you lots more control over HEAT.
(I also prefer "9:30 to 10:30 AM"):
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
... I love HEAT. At first I was using HEAT's tube saturation (drive turned to right / clockwise) but now I set HEAT to tape saturation (drive knob to left / counterclockwise) and it feels more smooth and pleasant. It's all about the SOUND (which is wonderful) but the tight / seamless integration in Pro Tools allows HEAT to really be set it and forget it.... either recording or jamming HEAT is on all the time!
Yet to test "HEAT messes up LLM Delay Compensation":
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinstar View Post
Hi everybody,
I decided to start a new thread, because i think this is an interesting issue, probably even a bug:
What's the issue? Record enabled Track plays ahead of rest of Session before punch in and sounds super-not-groovy!
Normally when I have a Session with let's say 2500 Samples total system delay, use Low Latency Monitoring (LLM) and then decide I want to punch in on an existing Audio Track, looking at the Delay Compensation Numbers I can observe that even when record enable is pressed, existing Audio playing before i punch in will be compensated for those 2500 Samples and sounds right on the beat.
BUT: when I have HEAT activated, the existing Audio on the record enabled track is only shifted 430 Samples instead of 2500 and as mentioned above, sounds super-not-groovy!
Only Solution: Turn off HEAT Globally!
Anyone else experiences this? Is it a bug? Should I report?
Hey Rob - if you have the time to try the Trial:
Quote:
Workaround - anybody care to test?
My “old” HEAT license works with 2019.6 (“Vanilla”) – but I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the “old” HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.
Therefore, the 30-DAY TRIAL should work for those using 2019.6 (“Vanilla”), who want HEAT today – if they follow the above steps in ILM.
https://www.avid.com/support/trialdownload/HEAT

And - so as not to derail the OP (hitsville):
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
Anybody else getting this? Sometimes I launch PT and open a session and HEAT is not available anymore. No option to set it on, it just disappeared. If heat was used on the session I’m opening I get an error message saying something like the original session includes heat but my software doesn’t have it. Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it. Am I the only one experiencing this?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Anybody else getting this?
I'm using a trial version of HEAT with PT 2019.6 Vanilla and not experiencing this.

On a side note, great tips unkJE!!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 AM

Awesome tips but I did think I asked him what he thought..... but great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedavis View Post
I'm using a trial version of HEAT with PT 2019.6 Vanilla and not experiencing this.

On a side note, great tips unkJE!!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:21 AM

Excellent, Thanks for sharing man....

Quote:
Love it!
I saw these tips'n views:

(I also prefer "9:30 to 10:30 AM"):

Yet to test "HEAT messes up LLM Delay Compensation":

Hey Rob - if you have the time to try the Trial:

And - so as not to derail the OP (hitsville):
Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:

I'm using the trial so I'm a bit afraid of losing the license when deactivating & reactivating it (never tried this with a demo, I know it should work but you never know, also I'm waiting for the sale to buy the full license)

Basically it seems that every single time I launch pro tools after having rebooted my computer (so every morning so far), Heat disappears. Then I quit PT and relaunch and it's back.. weird!
Old 08-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I'm using the trial so I'm a bit afraid of losing the license when deactivating & reactivating it (never tried this with a demo, I know it should work but you never know ....
Felt a bit hesitant the very 1st time I did this myself – but, like everything else in life, it really is quite easy, once you know how!

To deactivate and reactivate a license in iLok License Manager, left-click (in the left-hand column) on the iLok that includes the HEAT license.

On the right-hand side of the page, under “Product Name”, left-click on the HEAT license. This will highlight it, giving it a blue background.

Right-click on the HEAT license. This opens a drop-down Menu. Left-click on the 4th option: “Deactivate”. This opens a new box, where you hit the OK button to “Confirm Deactivation”.

This moves the HEAT license from your iLok, to your iLok Cloud. You can still see HEAT: at the top of the page, under View>Available Licenses. (This step is not necessary – I only mention it to reassure you that your HEAT license will still be available).

In View>Available Licenses, left click on the HEAT license to highlight it, then drag it back onto your iLok in the left-hand column. This opens a new box, where you hit the OK button to confirm this action. Wait a bit – give it time to move back to your iLok.

Left-click (in the left-hand column) on your iLok with the HEAT license. This highlights the iLok. Right-click on this iLok, then left-click on the 1st option: “Synchronize”. Wait for the Spinning Ball to disappear – then you can Sign Out - via the drop-down arrow on the RHS of your iLok Account Name (light blue background).

I can’t guarantee this will fix your issue, but, I’m interested to know the result. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 AM

thanks, I will give it a try and let you know!